main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Terminal - [DownTime Challenge Response]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jaya Solo, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Title: Terminal
    Author(s): Jaya Solo
    Timeframe: Before Wes leaves for the Rebellion
    Characters: Wes Janson
    Genre: Vignette
    Summary: Wes Janson gets bad news.
    Notes: This story was inspired by an evil challenge in the Pilot Fic Index.

-----

?Terminal??

A voice called out.

It was his voice.

But it felt like someone else was speaking.

The doctor was talking to him, rambling on about something, but Wes wasn?t really listening.

?Is there anything I can do?? he heard himself ask.

?No, I?m afraid there isn?t, except live the rest of your life to the fullest. If you?d like, I can recommend a support group or?? Wes cut the doctor off with a wave.

?No,? his voice called out. But it didn?t sound like his voice. His normal voice wasn?t hollow and filled with fear. ?I?ll manage.?

His body seemed to move of its own will as he walked back to his quarters.

?I always thought that I?d die in a fight. Never thought I?d be old? never thought I?d get sick? it would always be in a fire fight.?

The doctor had said he couldn?t fly either. He couldn?t go out in a blaze of glory. The disease would incapacitate him within a few days, and if he did fly he would be putting not just his own life at risk but the lives of others.

Not that he had much of a life left.

But there were the doctor?s orders.

Wes entered the hanger to find his squadron mates. There was Obo and Tibor? maybe they would help him experience a little fun in his last few days.

Wes put his arms around his two friends and gave them a giant grin. ?Wes? Are you feeling okay?? Obo asked.

?Yeah? you actually look happy?? Tibor added on.

?I was just thinking that we should go out and have a good time,? Wes told them. ?You know? a good time.?

?Are you the same Wes we saw this morning?? Obo asked.

?Yeah, the grumpy officer that threatened to make us clean the ships with our toothbrush?? Tibor added.

?At least he was willing to give you a toothbrush?? Obo commented.

?No, I?m fine. I just decided to actually go out and live life for once and not be so serious all the time,? Wes told them.

And serious Wes Janson was not that day, nor any of the days following. He began pulling pranks on his fellow squadron mates ? especially those that seemed to be a little too serious. Seeing them actually laugh made him feel better.

But still. He couldn?t fly. He didn?t even tell anyone why he couldn?t. If they asked, they were surprised with a prank. People soon learned that if they didn?t want a visit from Private Fury, a toy Adoris Feline that was dressed up like a pilot, that they shouldn?t ask about it. The base was beginning to fear Private Fury, and not a day went by when Wes didn?t have to make sure that his poor little friend didn?t disappear into the wrong hands.

The pranks and the trips out increased steadily as the time drew closer.

The time until?

Wes couldn?t bear the thought.

But the day passed, and still he was alive.

And then another.

And another.

Soon weeks passed by, and Wes found himself sitting in the same doctor?s office, holding Fury, waiting on his test results.

The doctor walked back into the room shaking his head.

?I?m sorry,? he began.

Wes sighed and slumped on the examination table he was sitting on. The doctor?s words hit him hard because despite how hard he tried, he couldn?t help but start to hope that maybe there was some chance. The doctor?s words had taken that hope away.

?I don?t know how I could have missed this?? the doctor continued.

Wes frowned and steeled himself for the news. The news that would tell him the time that he was to? go forever fly through the stars in the sky.

?But it looks like? well? You?re not sick. In fact, you?ve never been healthier. You were suffering from stress and exhaustion the last time you saw me. It looks like your endorphin levels have risen which has made all of the negative symptoms disappear. Whatever you?ve been doing in

2. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    *pouts like she pouted at Mara's*

I really liked the beginning, at least... :p ;)

No, the whole thing was great. I've thought about writing a fic where he becomes the Janson we all know and love, because of some event.

The beginning, though... I think you characterized him well. I can see either Wes reacting like that... the serious character you make him in the beginning, and the joker he becomes.

Nice job with him. You should write more :D

Jes

3. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Jesina
    *pouts like she pouted at Mara's*
    :D Yeah... I just couldn't kill him.

I really liked the beginning, at least... :p ;)
    Again, I couldn't kill him.

No, the whole thing was great. I've thought about writing a fic where he becomes the Janson we all know and love, because of some event.
    Heh. It just seemed like a natural thing when I started writing it. He'd always been serious in this story and wanted to do a good job. And then he realizes that he's not really living life and neither are the other guys. And he was following the doctor's orders...

The beginning, though... I think you characterized him well. I can see either Wes reacting like that... the serious character you make him in the beginning, and the joker he becomes.
    Wow. Thanks. [face_blush] Like I said, he was just following orders and he saw the benefits of having fun.

Nice job with him. You should write more
    I already write him. :p I'd like to think I can get into his head... ;)

4. RogueMara

RogueMara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2005
    YAY! someone else didn't kill Wes! Take that Jes! :D

Anyway, I liked it!

And serious Wes Janson was not that day, nor any of the days following. He began pulling pranks on his fellow squadron mates ? especially those that seemed to be a little too serious. Seeing them actually laugh made him feel better.[i/]

And thus Wes Janson, the prankster, was born.

*snicker* I loved this as the explanation! It just works so well :)

?Yeah, the grumpy officer that threatened to make us clean the ships with our toothbrush?? Tibor added.

LOL! I'd like to see Wes make someone clean a ship with a toothbrush ;)

Wonderful story! :D It's fun to find devious ways around Jes's challenge ;)

5. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Again, I need to read that....but there are about fifty things I need to read ;)

6. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    RogueMara
    YAY! someone else didn't kill Wes! Take that Jes!
    Yes! :) I just couldn't kill off Wes. He's the main character in my fic after all.

Anyway, I liked it!
    Thanks. :)

And serious Wes Janson was not that day, nor any of the days following. He began pulling pranks on his fellow squadron mates ? especially those that seemed to be a little too serious. Seeing them actually laugh made him feel better.

*snicker* I loved this as the explanation! It just works so well
    Thanks. There's always a reason behind how someone acts and jokers don't always have to joke because there's a deep hurt. I always saw Wes as someone who wanted to do pranks to raise people's spirits.

LOL! I'd like to see Wes make someone clean a ship with a toothbrush

I wouldn't put it past him. In fact... I may just do that.

Wonderful story! grin It's fun to find devious ways around Jes's challenge
    Thanks! Yes! Viva la rebellion!

Jesina
    Again, I need to read that....but there are about fifty things I need to read
    Excuses

7. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    *giggles* I knew you'd never kill Wes! :p

I love how you showed how Wes becomes the prankster that he is.

Wonderful little story, Jaya! :)

~Jenn

8. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Targeter
    *giggles* I knew you'd never kill Wes! :p
    Yep. How could I? I've grown to love the crazy guy, and he's my main character.

I love how you showed how Wes becomes the prankster that he is.
    Heh. Yeah... well, I did say I was inspired by the challenge... not that I did it correctly! :) It was fun to do a beginnings story about Wes. I thought about changing the name to "Origins" but I think Terminal sounds scarier! And sounds more like the scary challenge.

Wonderful little story, Jaya! :)
    Thanks!

9. Rowan_Jade

Rowan_Jade Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    *banging head on keyboard in serious amounts of frustration*

WHY????????

Why didn't I think of not actually killing him???????

GAH!!!!!!!!!!

Sheesh, you'd think by now after watching Jes kill everyone I'd get to the point where I'd try to bring them all back to life but nooooooooo.....

At least someone is smart enough to out Fiend the Master Fiend!

Outstanding story Jaya! I am sooooooo loving this. And it explains it all perfectly. This is just like that movie where the dude switched the blood sample with the cop's and then the cop thinks he's gonna die so he takes all these super dangerous assignments...okay, rambling, I know. Sorry, but it was a really good movie.

Anyway, this is a perfect reason as to why Wes is the way he is. I've wanted to expand on his pre-Rogue days but I couldn't fighure out a way to make him into the prankster and this did it! Wonderful!

Keep it up, you did a marvelous job on this. Not like Prankside isn't amazing but you did do Wes justice on this! :D :D

Ro

PS, JES GO READ PRANKSIDE!!!!!!!! You'll thank me for it!

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That was great Jaya... loved how it changed him around. Though I will admit I'd wondered if it wasn't a prank in itself done to loosen him up a bit. :D

11. SweetPea

SweetPea Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 8, 2004
    Almost missed this one since it was over on the Saga board...

Hehehehe. I like the idea that Wes was all serious and mean once and had some sort of breakthrough.

And sheesh, if I had known we could cheat and make Wes not actually die...:p

Great job!

12. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Rowan_Jade
    *banging head on keyboard in serious amounts of frustration*

WHY????????

Why didn't I think of not actually killing him???????

GAH!!!!!!!!!!

Heh. I did because I?m a rebel. We?ll just blame it on me being here for far too long. ;)

Sheesh, you'd think by now after watching Jes kill everyone I'd get to the point where I'd try to bring them all back to life but nooooooooo.....

At least someone is smart enough to out Fiend the Master Fiend!

Heh. It?s fun to break Jes? rules. I giggled when I sent it to her and she commented ?This can?t be good.? Teehee. I had fun breaking the rule.

Outstanding story Jaya! I am sooooooo loving this. And it explains it all perfectly.
    Thanks. :: blushes ::

Anyway, this is a perfect reason as to why Wes is the way he is. I've wanted to expand on his pre-Rogue days but I couldn't fighure out a way to make him into the prankster and this did it! Wonderful!
    It seemed like a natural thing to do. :)

Keep it up, you did a marvelous job on this. Not like Prankside isn't amazing but you did do Wes justice on this! :D :D
    Thanks! Wow, I can?t believe you guys liked this so much!

PS, JES GO READ PRANKSIDE!!!!!!!! You'll thank me for it!
    Heh. So are you going to actually post on it?

Healer Leona
    Wow! A mod read my fic! :)

That was great Jaya... loved how it changed him around. Though I will admit I'd wondered if it wasn't a prank in itself done to loosen him up a bit.
    Yeah? I actually thought about that, but decided against it in the end. Glad you liked it!

SweatPea
    Hehehehe. I like the idea that Wes was all serious and mean once and had some sort of breakthrough.
    Yeah, I liked it too. It confused Jes when she first read it. ?When was Wes ever serious?? Hehe. I just made him that way. Seems like pilots are supposed to be serious. ;)

And sheesh, if I had known we could cheat and make Wes not actually die... :p
    Heh. I?m a cheater. But it?s like telling me to kill off my favorite pilot!

Great job!
    Thanks!

Is no one going to comment about Lt. Kettch?s predecessor? :(

13. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    I loved this, Master!

It was cool seeing Wes as a serious, grumpy pilot and then his transformation into a prankster. It kinda changes how I see Wes's character. He's not just a prankster for the fun of it, there's an actual reason for it.

Awesome job, Master! :D

14. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Thanks Jaina.
    I loved this, Master!

It was cool seeing Wes as a serious, grumpy pilot and then his transformation into a prankster. It kinda changes how I see Wes's character. He's not just a prankster for the fun of it, there's an actual reason for it.

Hehe. Yeah, there's probably a reason for Wes to be silly and pull pranks all the time other than he has the mind of a child. ;) He just sometimes goes too far in his pranks which causes him to receive retaliations.

Argh! I think a plot bunny just bit me as a result of writing this fic!

15. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Good job.

Wes jumped off of the examination table and hugged the doctor hard.

?I?m not going to? die. I?m going to live!?

Duh-nuh...Duh-nuh...
    So that's why he pranks everyone.
    Mirax

16. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    Oh wow, I love this!

That really, really sounds great as an explanation behind Wes's pranks and stuff... hehehe. <3

17. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Heh. Mirax. (can I call you Myra? It?s such a cute name that Wedge used to call Mirax when they were kids.) You don?t have to keep promoting my fic. ;) I?m fine with just having a few readers. But I am flattered that you liked it so much.

Good job.
    Wes jumped off of the examination table and hugged the doctor hard.

?I?m not going to? die. I?m going to live!?

Duh-nuh...Duh-nuh...
    So that's why he pranks everyone.

Yeah, I figured my reason was an appropriate reason for Wes? pranks. Guess I pulled it off. And it was inspired by the challenge. I just didn?t do it quite the way Jes planned.

Thanks djcati!
    Oh wow, I love this!

That really, really sounds great as an explanation behind Wes's pranks and stuff... hehehe.

Glad you liked it. Someone had to write something cheerful when everyone else is killing off Wes in their vignettes.

You will be happy to find out that I wrote a story based off of this vignette. It inspired me so much. :)

18. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Very good. :) I like how you got arround the perameters. What squad is he in? Is he in the Empire?

19. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    ThrawnRocks
    Very good. :) I like how you got arround the perameters. What squad is he in? Is he in the Empire?
    It will all be explained in my new story. :)

20. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Okay, cool. Will this actually be a section, or are you planning on re-writing it?

*Plays pranks on OPPM*

21. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    It's slightly rewritten. Slightly. Just a little bit. :) I think I broke it up a little bit too. :)

22. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Loved your idea of how Wes became, well, Wes!

Perfect. ;)

I'm so glad Jesina suggested the DownTime link, it helped me find this great fic.

Mari

23. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    :: blushes :: Thanks oldjedinurse! It's not that great... I just happened to write this responce... from a certian point of view. See, from a certian point of view it actually fit the challenge. :)

24. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Very nice! Didn't respond to this earlier...sorry! Loved that he didn't die and it's how he becomes a prankster. :)

25. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    :: shocked :: Luney... you read my fic? But... you're a good writer! ;) I'm glad you liked it! :)

Oh, by the way, I started a new story based on this viggie. It's Before There Were Ewoks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.