main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD terminator series in feb

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by sith star, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Well I have seen Ep 1 (on tv).

I really wasn't too impressed to be honest.
    Acting was up to standard, although I admit I'm on that bandwagon of looking for (or being distracted by imagining) the original actors in these characters, hope I'm not like that with Trek...

Just some hollywood writing got to me...such as the dramatic "I have you cornered! I'm going to shoot you! (In 10 seconds - I hope nobody crashes a car into me!)" type stuff. Terminators don't miss people running across a room and diving for a window.

Hope the next few eps get better, this 1st one, despite great effects, did little for me.

2. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    I fail to see where I said, in any way, shape, or form, that I was "better" than them, "above" them, or even "smarter" than them.

What I DID say was that I felt they lacked imagination.

Let's take "normal" people. They think sci-fi and/or fantasy fans are anti-social, retarded, geeky, nerdy, friendless, and never get laid. If you are a girl into sci-fi, chances are someone is also going to pull up the lesbian card too. "Normal" people think they are "better" than people like me because they like the things that are "cool". They say things like "sci-fi/fantasy isn't real" and "I prefer to watch real shows" and "I just can't get into it because it doesn't feel real".

Given comments such as these I feel I am more than justified in my belief that they lack imagination. Imagination holds the power to think and dream of the improbable and the impossible. Being able to (directly) compare soemthing on a TV show to your own life is not an exercise in the imagination - it's and exercise in comparision. Our empathy for characters often relies on our ability to draw comparisons to the events that have shaped them and it is easier to do this when the settings are familiar. One has to "think outside the square" a little in order to make comparisons between themselves and a 4' hobbit take a trip to Mordor and their own more mundane life.

A similar thing can be said about music. Why is pop, pop? Why does it sell so well? Because a largish proportion of the population feels they can relate to the music, to the lyrics. Angry people like angry music. People who are sad often like to listen to sad music.

Just like listening to music that mirrors our moods are a way of expressing ourselves, or listen to music that is contrary to our moods is meant to distract, so too is the empathy we offer to characters and people on TV. People often say they just feel like watching a certain movie or show, and sometimes (no matter how much they like it) they don't want to watch it.

Tastes differ from person to person and I'm not going to debate that. However there is a fairly substantial proportion of the popultion who watches certain TV shows because they are popular, and who won't watch certain things because they are considered "uncool". I will ALWAYS be critical of people who follow such fashions particularly in terms of TV shows because we all have the power to think for ourselves and the

3. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    It's horses for courses. My point, basically, is that I wish more people in the general population would give sci-fi a go, because I think they might be surprised by it and find it much more appealing than they thought. But what do I know, huh?

Back to the subject at hand, rumours are doing the rounds that SCC will be getting the axe. The writers' strike came at a bad time; there are 4 episodes currently unaired, and apparently production may not be resuming now that strike's over. It's just going to quietly vanish, if that's the case. I can't honestly say I'm surprised, if it's true (and we'll know in a few days), but if it is true: god dammit. I really liked where they were going. The show has some issues, yes, but it's already on its way to finding its feet. I really hope it at least manages a full season, because so much love's obviously gone into it. Sigh.

4. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    That's really quite disappointing to hear, because I think this show has a lot of potential. It's a bit messy at the moment, but most shows are when they start. BSG and Heroes were quite unusual in the fact that they were quite polished (on the surface) when they went to air. Having said that the "mess" of SCC lends it a certain charm.

5. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Fair enough Lozz :)

Was really quoting your last post becasue my comment followed on from that train of thought and what others had previously said in that vein in this thread.

And Goobs, I did like it by the 3rd episode regardless of it being a little contrived. You might not, but give it a bit of a chance.

6. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    I watched the 5th episode over the weekend (lasted just long enough for my plane trip to Hokkaido) and I like how things are really moving along and where they're headed with the story.

I recently read on AICN how Quint (one of their writers) hated the new series because all the terminators were 'roided-out' behemoths which didn't seem very Terminator-like. Has he even seen the original? Aside from the original concept of Lance Henricksen being the terminator, you never actually see anything other than 'roided-out' T-800's until Terminator 2 and the introduction of the T-1000 (who I might add, was an experimental prototype). And what about the Summer Glau model?

7. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    It's the Internet, Neech. Comments don't need to make sense. They just need to be shouted loudly enough. That's all that's important, doncherknow.

8. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002

Quoted for truth.

That would make a fine t-shirt or bumber sticker.
    "On the Internet, comments don't need to make sense. They just need to be shouted loudly enough."

9. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Well, having watched episode 7 of the Sarah Connor Chronicles, I can safely say that the show's found its feet, and that I totally love where it's going and what it's doing. Perhaps it's got something to do with the return of Doctor Silberman, which basically completes the requirements of things that have to appear in any Terminator film. :p But no, as a whole, it feels like the show's figured out what it wants to be and how it wants to present itself. It's so faithful to the Terminator mythos that it boggles the mind, and I can't wait to see more.

And there's the problem. There are as of now only two more episodes, and there is still no news about whether it will be renewed or just unceremoniously canceled. I hope like HELL it's the former. While it's true that it's no Battlestar Galactica or Heroes, the Sarah Connor Chronicles is a fascinating show that;s obviously having a crazy amount of love poured into it, and I really really hope it doesn't fall victim to being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

10. sith star

sith star Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2000
    :mad: they bumped it back to 9.30 already

11. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    You know what time it airs on Channel Bittorrent?

Anytime I like :cool:

12. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    A second series hasn't been confirmed, but reports are fairly optimistic from what I've seen.

13. sith star

May 29, 2000
    how many eps in the first series ?

14. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Only nine episodes sithstar.

I need to rewatch the whole series again, but after sitting down with BBN and Loz to rewatch Terminator 2, two things once again occurred to me:

1. The production team paid slavish attention to the cinematography and production design of the film.
    2. The T-800 series are the Cadillacs of the Terminator cyborgs :p

In other news, here's an interesting website that ties into the Terminator franchise somehow:

Enitech Labs

I get the feeling these guys were researching some technology that cames from the "don't ask where it came from" category :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

15. sith star

May 29, 2000
    :mad: gee I hate chan 9 some times the dang show has been pushed back to 10.30 now, I had to get up early so I went to bed at 8.15 set my alarm for 10.30 and watched it then.
    can some one hook me up with some copies of said series so I dont have to endure thier crud any more ? will swap for beer :D

16. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005

I'm with you sith star, I'm about to stab some poor channel 9 exec. for screwing around with the only show I sit down to watch week in week out. The only other times I watch TV is to kill time while I wait to do something else.

17. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Episodes in exchange for beer? Sounds intriguing...

I'd be happy to hook you up next time I see you, SS.

18. sith star

May 29, 2000
    sweeeeeet

19. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    It's finally been confirmed, my friends: The Sarah Connor Chronicles will be getting a second season. I'm very happy about this. The pilot was great, and despite the show lagging a little bit for a while, the last 3 or so episodes of the aborted first season really picked things up. Can't wait to see it back.

20. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    Did anybody here have any hope for Terminator 4?

I hope not.

HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT THE MAIN TWIST SPOILED

"Alright so the main character is a cyborg named Marcus. For some background, Marcus was a criminal who was executed in 2003. He donated his body to Project Angel which was involved with SkyNet. They take his body and make a terminator out of him so he's a terminator skeleton but has living muscle/skin and a beating heart too. At the end of the movie John Connor is fighting a T800 model 101 and loses. He dies and the top resistance people come up with a plan to help the resistance keep fighting on. The resistance feels that it's important to keep the image or idea that John Connor is still alive so the resistance keeps going. So they rip off Marcus' skin and put John Connor's on the skeleton so now Marcus is John Connor."

Apparently, the movie is inspired by fanfiction :p .

21. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Apparently people believe everything they read on the internet. :p That's been officially debunked. Very rapidly too, since I didn't hear about it till post-debunk.

In other news, Fox says they're going to start rerunning SCC in August, which suggests that it'll lead straight into season 2 in September-ish. SCC and Heroes. Me like.

22. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    By this point, I'm very willing to give McG the benefit of the doubt. I found myself respecting the guy a lot more after reading this production blog post.

Specifically, these two excerpts:
    Edit: The season one DVD ships in August. I've decided to hold off watching the last six episodes until it arrives.

23. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    The first episode of the new season has aired mere hours ago in the US.

Interesting news on who the new antagonist is; it guarantees Hambo's viewing for some of this season :p

Will comment once I've watched it.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

24. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    It's good. Real good. I'm looking foward to seeing what the crew can do with a full season.

25. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Presently seen exactly half of the first episode. Will be watching the rest on the train home tonight (I love you, iPod Touch). Enjoyed the start. Shirley Manson's cover of the old gospel song Samson and Delilah is surprisingly awesome.

Speaking of Shirley, I've been spoiled as to the reveal about her character at the end of the episode, and I've got to say I love it.Skynet is upping the stakes in its Time War with John Connor. It's going way further to ensure its creation than in any of the previous timelines. Escalation. Awesome stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.