main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it was Cameron Jesse was complaining about, while serving with Connor before she went back in time.

2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Awesome episode last night- the John Henry/Cromartie/Ellis scenes continue to be incredible, and Shirley-1000's cleanup of the factory was badass.

3. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Shirley Mansen's a much more intimidating and competent T-1000 than Agent Dogget ever was.

Except for Cameron, all the cyborgs of TSCC are more impressive and competent than those of the films, methinks.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it has to do with the length of their missions- if you take the theatrical cut at face value (or assume these models have their chip set to permit them more free thinking if you go with the special edition) the more they're around humans, the more they learn. The first T-800 in T1 seemed to adapt pretty well, for example.

5. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    As much as it sucks that the show was moved to the Friday night death-slot, I'm thrilled that it's finally paired with a fun show. Prison Break was teh boring.

6. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    It sucks that this show has been moved to Friday nights and I work Friday nights :(

Just got done watching the latest episode. Interesting...

Its been almost two weeks now since I got into the show. I couldn't get back into Lost cause I missed so many episodes b/c of work.

Lena is so...awesome. She hides her accent very well. She's beautiful. [face_blush]

7. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    hulu.com for the shows.

thats how I caught up on them.

oh and I liked how you didn't know what was a dream and what was reality.

She probably saved that guy that pleasure of getting speared by Shirley manson or running for a while before a terminator got him and his wife.

8. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Well when I was watching it, I got the sense of what was real and what wasn't. The drug that guy injected into Sarah really messed up her head...her mind.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Great episode- that catfight was pretty intense. Razor Chick's plan was pretty twisted, and Cameron's twitchiness is unsettling. Plus, we have the new Judgement Day date of April 21st, 2011 (and the ongoing suggestion that Razor Chick is from a slightly different future)...which would place it as the Season 4 finale, presumably. Wonder if that's really the series-end date they're going to aim for now.

10. Radical_Edward

May 2, 2002
    I really thought this episode was great. A huge improvement from last week's episode, and it looks like a setup for a mid-season finale (or is this the second half of season 2? It's been so long I can't even tell)

Throughout that whole catfight I was torn, I didn't know who I wanted to win. I eventually decided I wanted the winner to be Razor (I wonder how long it'll take for that identifier to wear off the actress?) and the music suddenly changed from the dramatic fight score to a sad dirge while Riley was beating her with that big white thing (cricket bat? table leg? ivory tusk? giant vibrating women's toy? I couldn't tell) and I thought that Riley was going to be the one walking away. Bear McCreary sure tricked me on that one.

I've got a new hypothesis that the show's perpetually laconic and emotional style, punctuated with the occasional moment of action and gunfire, is a major reason that the TSCC has always suffered in viewership. The name Terminator implies lots of action and adventure and robots and explosions and cool effects and stuff, and the general audience (myself included up until recently) can't really separate that image from TSCC's defining features of quiet bizarre family drama, character studies, and subtle, meandering, long-term plotlines. But if they had tried to go completely gung-ho robot-smasher Bruckheimer 'sploshun fest, the show would have shot its proverbial wad long ago, assuming that it could even stick to a budget, and then there would be no show at all.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    See, I don't think that's the case- and if it is, then people have a distorted view of what a Terminator story is like. T2 tends to be the gold standard, but after they escape from the hospital, there is a long stretch of time filled with bizarre family drama & character study, punctuated with the occasional moment of gunfire, until the police and T-1000 show up at Cyberdyne and the big action and explosions start happening- it's a good third of the movie (especially in the Special Edition).

T3 mostly forgot this (and look how well that turned out) and went for more action. T1 had a shorter interlude (but then it was a shorter film) with Kyle and Sarah on the run before it finds them at the hotel, but it's there in the structure nonetheless.

TSCC took that cue and, IMO, has played out the right mix of character, action and operations, and added in the long term plotlines people expect from quality dramas nowadays.

12. Radical_Edward

May 2, 2002
    Ah, but just because YOU know that, doesn't mean that 99% of the potential viewing audience does ;)

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ;)

14. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Terminator continues to impress me. With Galactica ending tonight, Terminator is now the only show I feel any great desire to watch. This current plot line is great. And bravo to John for going to see Riley's body and looking at the wounds, and for apologizing to Cameron. Interesting to see the start of Jesse's hatred of the machines on their side.

And I like that reference early on in tonight's show to John Conner, from one of the sub crewmen - that Conner is playing a giant chess game with Skynet. I'm curious about the T1000 who was on the sub, and wondering what that was about. Did Conner ask the initial question, or did it approach them? Did it already know what it was going to decide, or was it considering things?

Also, best commercial break ever: as Derek pulls the trigger, the commercial break starts and shows a book titled the "Book of happy endings."

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That was an incredible episode. The scene with John and Jesse in the hotel room was unqualifiably fantastic. With BSG over, now Terminator reigns as the best show on TV (an inch ahead of Lost).

16. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I've got to agree. Except that it's much further ahead of Lost.

In any case, the scene with John and Jesse was fantastic. It was another of those scenes that the show has been building towards, showing John as John Conner, Savior of Humanity. I felt almost sorry for Jesse, having to face down John like that.

The last scene was also good. When John finally lets himself cry, Cameron is unable to provide sympathy. His mother, for all her objections about everything he's done in the last few days, is the one who holds him. Cameron sits there, staring straight forward. Another great scene.

Also chilling to find out just how far ahead Ms Weaver has planned, regarding employee terminations (is that even a pun?).

17. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    wild theory:

the T1000 on the sub is the same one that's gonna be sent back and eventually look like robert patrick.

yes i'm basing this solely on the little finger wiggle but i think it makes for a good theory. john is possibly trying to get it on his side instead of it going back to kill him in T2.

yay/nay?
    -doodie

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Interesting that John Connor was going to try and get the T-1000 to join the resistance

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's tricky to say- I don't think this is THE T-1000, since it was an advanced prototype, and I believe it had to be sent back in time very soon after the first T-800.

Now, obviously, the humans haven't seen one of these before- but if the "first" one is sent back in time, then it'd make sense they wouldn;t know about the model until they encountered a subsequently produced unit.

20. jedimaster_disney

jedimaster_disney Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2009
    this is the best. these shows are so cool. i like sarah connor a lot.

21. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    the way the people on the sub didnt know what it was and the way it arrived in a box makes me think it was a prototype. but then if it was a prototype why would the machines just hand it over to jon. infact why did the terminators just hand the box over anyway? they werent trading...
    -doodie

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Really good episode. Just caught up with the show, and I was surprised that John had worked everything out. I hope his mother forgives him, myself. Her crazy-plot had been somewhat strange - but Mrs. Weaver continues to intrigue, and Henry still scares the bejeebus out of me. So... all in all everything continues as normal. :cool:

23. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    We need an SCC banner here [face_mischief]

Huh, for some reason I thought this was the season finale :confused: Haven't checked in a while, just watched.

The ending to the last one was great. Just after Derek tells Jon how in the future they want him to be human, he lets it all out. SCC's John Connor is awesome and Salvation's Bale has big expectations to fulfill.

Dammit, I still don't have T2 on DVD :p

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm planning a general Terminator-themed banner with pics from T1, T2, TSCC & Salvation.

And, no, I didn't forget anything in that sentence. ;)

And how can you not have T2 on DVD yet? I have 3 different copies already! :D

25. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Not urgent, so I can't be bothered to look through the versions and buy one. And the rating might make amazon.de difficult. Dunno.

[edit]Alright, fine, I ordered it :p[/edit]

I wouldn't have thought so anyway :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.