main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Which DVD version did you go with?

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    None you mentioned before. :p Something called a Steel Edition, released here last year, with 3 discs (but still slightly cheaper than the others). Apparently basically the UE with two versions of the movie - except I'm not sure if our UE is the same as your UE.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The John Henry stuff was great tonight (sliding techie FTW? ;) ). The "factory conspiracy" thing is building up to something- and quite effectively, I might add- I seriously thought they were gonna take down Cameron for a moment.

4. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Tonight's episode leads me to wonder again about what Ms. Weaver is doing, and where John Henry is going. At first, I thought that the name John Henry was subtle mockery of humanity, reinforcement of the idea that a man can't really defeat a machine - even a short term victory means nothing, because the machine is relentless and will eventually wear the man down.

Maybe John Henry isn't that. Maybe he is the John Henry of the story. Weaver is trying to teach him about morality, about right and wrong. At first, that was just confusing. Last night, when Savannah was being held by John Henry, I was naturally extremely worried about her safety. There was a sinking feeling in my stomach, I was thinking "Oh no, this is where it finally happens."

But even when going nuts, John Henry didn't hurt her. OK, yes, his grip was tight. But he could have easily, easily crushed every bone in her wrist like it was a dry twig. I think that what we're seeing her is a rebel faction of machines. I think that Ms. Weaver is allied with future John. She's prepping his future bases (like the power plants), and trying to proactively build an anti-Skynet faction of machines.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Would John have permitted her to go back and kill people/a whole building of people, though? And the stuff with the power plant looked to be more anti-John than pro-John.

6. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    What if Weaver is part of a third faction of rebel machines? One that wants the machines around, but don't want Judgment Day either?

There had to be a reason for John to even attempt to ask that T-1000 to join him, and also a reason for introducing that particular plot point.

7. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    I don't think that she's working for John. I think that she's allied with John. Big difference. Terminator 2 mentioned that the machines under Skynet's control are kept directly under it's control, it doesn't want them forming any individuality. My guess is that some machines did anyways, and they want Skynet gone just as much as John does. And hey, maybe the T1001 found religion.

8. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    The third faction is looking much more likely. Anyone doubt that the T-1k on the Jimmy Carter was Weaver? It's not directly under Skynet control, or it wouldn't have even bothered taking the time to talk with the resistance, but it made a clear point to Jesse that it is not part of Tech-Com.

Was there a mistake in the episode, when John Henry was discussing his shared ancestry with his 'brother'? It sounded like John Henry said that Miles Dyson died in 1997. Unless they retconned that for the show, didn't T2 happen in 1991?

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    But John would still know what's shes capable of, member of the resistance or ally of it. I'm not sure she would have accepted it.

It's interesting to see that the remnant of Skynet from T2 is in the form of a virus - like in T3... but I'm really not sure about Weaver. She's supposed to be giving birth to Skynet, at least if she has the Turk... so I'm mildly confused as to her motives. But it is curious, nonetheless. But if she is rogue... and trying to teach Skynet to mature properly...

I suppose there could be something said for the other Terminators - they're not sentient. They can surely achieve sentience, mind you, though a stunted kind, if T2 is any indication. I consider Skynet to be the only completely sentient AI... the T-1000's, however, represent a possibility that Skynet can't control properly - how can Skynet deactivate the chip in that?

Maybe the T-1000's are rebelling?

Bah! Too confusing. And too few episodes left to justify this build-up. :p

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    IIRC, this was the reasoning behind going to the T-X after the T-1000 in T3- T-1000s were too unstable.

T2 came out in 1991, but was actually set in 1995. T3 suggested it was set in 1991-ish.

It's a mistake, but a mistake consistent with the rest of the TV series. For some reason, the series has repeatedly stated that T2 took place in 1997, however- ever since the pilot. So it's still wrong but it's consistently wrong. ;)

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    I'll be catching up on last week's episode tomorrow. Any word on if SCC has been picked up for a 3rd season?

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No word yet.

Now, onto tonight's episode...

:eek: WOW

(SPOILERS!)

I mean, geez- not only was that pre-title sequence tense as hell while being unique in allowing John Henry to be heroic, then you have Derek being killed so casually- it's not often a show kills it's #1 badass like that. Then you have the cops screwing over both Ellison (in the eyes of the Connors who should be allies) and Sarah (with the whole cop beat down and imprisonment thing).

And then you have the killer line when John Henry asks if he's Cain or Able- "I don't know, John Henry- perhaps you're neither. Perhaps in this story, you are God."

That's just a "well, holy crap" moment :cool:

This season should never end, let alone in only one episode.

13. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    They didn't. Sarah and Cameron are still alive. ;) No, I agree, that needs more explanation. There's just no way that his story ends like that.

My current theory is that Shirley Manson's T-1000 represents the "good" rebellious T-1000's we've been hearing about, and is trying to prepare John Henry to either smackdown or replace the burgeoning threat of his "brother," Skynet. It was hinted in this episode that, while she is not the most emotional entity, she does have some respect for saving human lives. What becomes of the increasingly morally grey John Henry is anyone's guess.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd classify Cameron as the most powerful but not quite the badass due to the general lack of emotions, and Sarah's been kinda down lately since her injury/sleep ordeals.

I'll most miss the future flashbacks with Derek though- I even thought that was how they planned to keep Jesse involved in the show. Now only Cameron can do flashbacks- and I'm trying to remember if we've had any flashbacks from her POV other than the interrelation/taking of Allison's personality; all the others were from Derek or Jesse's POV.

15. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Holy crap. Offing Derek like that really is rare. No heroics, no last words, hell he didn't even take a shot, really. And then the arrest. Damn.

I recently rewatched the episode where they "kidnap" that boy and Derek and John go to military school. I can't decide which I like better, the reading of Oz while they kill a T, or this ending with the children's song. I can't decide, but I love that they do things like that.

16. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

In my opinion, John's scene with Jesse puts him at the "Most Badass" position currently.

In any case, Weaver continues to be an enigma, and John Henry surprised me by taking an active interest in keeping Savannah alive. It feels to me like the writers/directors/producers want to keep things looking like Weaver is bad, but to provide enough evidence that she's not on the bad guys side, so when it turns out she's a bad guy who's against the other bad guys it makes sense. And some people will probably call it a mindblowing twist, and those people need to get out of the house more.

Good episode, which no doubt leads into John confronting Weaver, revelations about the future, and Everything Changing.

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    :eek: I can't believe they offed Derek like that...My favorite character on the show. I wish they had given him a bigger send off :(

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ironically enough, by offing him so unremarkably, his death may actually end up being more memorable.

19. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    I really hope that they have some reason for offing Riley and Jesse and Charlie and Derek in quick succession like like that and have a legitimate concept for how to move the plot forward with either interesting new characters or expanded roles and good stories for the characters that are still around.

I'm terrified that this might be a 'housecleaning' by the producers to get rid of (relatively) expensive actors and 'shake up' the show, so to speak, to boost the ratings and (if Prison Break and 24 and so many other Fox shows are any indication) kill the interesting parts of the story in the process.

EDIT: I guess this all doesn't matter. It looks like next week's episode is intended to be the series finale.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The producers have said they made things with the intention of this week's episode being the season finale- in that it would be the culmination of the season's story arcs (which would be Riley/Jesse/Derek, Charlie, etc) and that it wouldn;t be a series finale because there wouldn't be enough time to tell that story.

Supposedly they've been striking the sets, which would normally be bad for a series- but I gotta wonder- what sets? They don't need the house, they're all on the run, just needing a warehouse or something to hide in. The only actual sets would be John Henry's room and the future war bunkers- but the former would be easy to rebuild if they get picked up and the latter isn't going to be used anymore because all three future war characters are now dead.

I really don't think Fox will decide until they see how well Terminator Salvation does- if the movie does very well, a 3rd season is almost guarenteed, IMO, if only for them to attempt to cash in on the movie's success (which will be hitting DVD around the time the show would likely air) And, supposedly, the executives who put together the friday night Terminator/Dollhouse programming idea did approach things with the notion of being patient and allowing a show to develop- but then they're still Fox and it's the detah slot so I guess we'll see/.

21. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    The sets could be the house, hotel and Zeira Corp ones.

On the offing of Derek (how, not why) I think it was a great way to do it. Too many times do we see these giant shoot-outs and slow panning shots where we see the hero take the hits and then the grieving while the battle is still going. Derek was a soldier and this was always the possibility, and instead we have both the chance to see the grieving afterwards, and also how Derek's death is one of the first things that starts to truely build the harder wall around John.

22. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    Let the wind blow high, let the wind blow low
    Through the streets in my kilt I'll go
    And all the lassies shout hello
    Donald where's your trousers

Awesome episode!!!
    I can't get the song out of my head now. :D

They do a great job with those, as I recall I think they used Cash at the end of season 1.

Anyway, I was completely blown away by Derek's death. I almost missed it. :eek:
    I was already thinking, well they got out of the house blah blah blah... Then all of a sudden, Blam!!!!!!!
    I do agree, that I think that makes it more memorable.

I thought it might have been the last episode (and not sure of the status for next year), I thought maybe they are offing more poeple so my attention immediately perked up for the rest of the episode.
    I was definitely glad to see there was still another show for this season.

23. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    well,didn't see that one coming, especially: since he got killed before the opening credits started rolling, at this rate, the only one who is for sure going to be alive, is John Connor.

24. celera

celera Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    While I've seen TV deaths that were a lot worse than Derek's, I wasn't all that pleased with it either. I wanted to see more of Derek as his own character rather than as half of Derek and (cough, cough) Jessie. What's even sadder was that he just started getting along with Cameron.

25. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Well if we get Season 3, we might get to see more of Derek :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.