main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

If that's the end of the show, er, wow. Kind of leaves me feeling a little empty. If that's the end of Cameron, I'm a very sad panda indeed. If they end it there, then it technically does fit with existing chronology (except Terminator 3). John could make a name for himself and end up in control of the resistance, send his father and Derek and Cameron back in time, etc, and make things happen.

Or, season three could follow John as he tries to fix the timeline, and follow Sarah as she hunts for Cameron's body.

I'm hoping for season three, because I want a better end for Cameron.

2. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    Fox better not cancel this show, especially after this ending. Btw is that:Allison and not Cameron at the end?

and: a future without John Connor leading them, could be interesting

This show has to come back now.

3. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    I think so. The end of the show puts John in the middle of a group of people he knows he has to send to their deaths.

4. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    It had to be Allison, since she was playing with a dog, and one of the first points of terminator lore is that dogs don't like cyborgs. No doubt why Charlie got a dog after he went into hiding

5. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    :eek:

In the best possible way.

As much as I will be PISSED at FOX if there's no third season, I don't think I've ever been so pleased with a season finale in terms of "I want more, but if it HAS to end here, it works".

6. gonzoforce

Feb 27, 2002
    too bad it wasn't on CBS, all there shows get good ratings and they don't cancel stuff right away. If The Big Bang Theory was on Fox, they would of canned it after it's first season cause of okay, but not great ratings. However, they stuck with the show and now it's doing really great, in fact CBS gave the show a 2 year pickup, Fox would never do that.

7. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    The mid-season finale of season four of Battlestar Galactica did better.

Arguably, it's better than the actual finale.

8. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Some of you may remember this, but I just saw the Garbage music video for the title song of "The World is Not Enough". There's a few interesting similarities to Manson's character on TSCC...

9. Radical_Edward

May 2, 2002
    :eek: Hahaha. I used to love that video, but I haven't seen it in so long that I didn't realize that Shirley Mansen was the singer.

Considering that they had such a high-caliber singer in the cast for the entirety of one very long season, I'm surprised that the producers and writers didn't have her sing more often for the show. Did she only do one song during her entire run?

10. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Yeah, just 'Samson and Delilah' in the season opener. But it's not a song-heavy show like Smallville or Buffy; besides, other than special instances like that I prefer Bear McCreary's score. If they did the song thing too often it wouldn't have the same impact.

But that recording of 'Samson and Delilah' IS awesome. It's the first track on the show's score CD, which is what inspired me to look for Manson/Garbage videos thus leading me to the TWINE one.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    WOW- what a finale! That was fantastic- here's hoping the fact that it's WB, and not Fox, footing the bill for the show bodes well for the possibility of a 3rd season (even if it's not on Fox), because WE. NEED. A. THIRD. SEASON.

Seriously, if worse comes to worst, just give it 13 episodes to conclude itself on- we got jyped out of a full first season so they owe use at least a few more episodes ;)

"Hey!"
    ::T-800 snaps head around in a "where did you come from?" manner::
    "I liked that gate!"
    "Catherine Weaver?"
    ::shrugs:: "Sure."
    ::badadadadadadada::
    ::kooooslurp::
    ::pWNED!::
    ::ZAP-PWNED!!::

and, of course....

"Get down."

12. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Whoa. I was so caught up in the awesomeness of that moment that I didn't make the 'get down' connection. Awesome!

My one (minor) disappointment is that, with the finger wag and all, I was kinda hoping that the T-1000 on the sub was going to turn out to be the one from T2. But "Will you join us" pretty much seals that it was either Weaver or another member of the rogue faction.

Of course, it's *possible* that the show will reveal that Robert Patrick WAS a member of the rogue faction in an early misguided attempt to kill John. Which would in turn make Uncle Bob either a liar or misinformed, which I'm kind of ambivalent about. I mean, Future John (or perhaps just Cameron) DOES hide a lot from John in this show, so it would play into that theme to reveal that Uncle Bob was also programmed to hide the truth, but I also don't really like the idea of the show contradicting major things established as fact in the movies.

All that said, given how much we've seen (and WILL see if Season 3 happens) of Kyle, I think it would be cool to see pre-time-travel versions of the two Arnie bots and/or the Patrick T-1000 at some point in the show.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The finger wag could just be a trait in the basic programming of a T-1000 model. It's just a matter of how it's AI evolved from the advanced Patrickbot prototype that Skynet sends back in T2, to the self-aware rebel Weaverbots. Supposed the T-X was designed due to the instability or unpredictability of the T-1000, which would track if the T-1000 series had a tendency to break free of Skynet's control (though it might take awhile to do so- thus an initial mission like the Patrickbot's would go more or less to plan, but subsequent missions it would start misbehaving.

14. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Yeah, that's probably the case. But it was just such a memorable moment from T2 that part of me likes the idea of it being a personal trait of that one bot (not least of all because I like the idea of the movie bots showing up in some form on the show - I mean, we've had pretty much every other major movie character that wasn't killed in the movies, plus the one big one that was).

Also, I prefer not to even consider the T-X. I prefer to think of TSCC as a vastly superior ALTERNATIVE to T3. Other than the cancer plotline, I don't think the show has made any reference that could be construed as having anything to do with T3, which is just the way I like it.

T3 seemed pretty rooted in the notion that the future timeline is fixed. TSCC on the other hand gives a future that seems to be changeable - the events of T2 stopped the Skynet from happening the way it originally did before Uncle Bob showed up. I think Derek referred at some point to Jesse not knowing something from his version of their past because of something that was changed in the present. And it remains to be seen whether no one in the future knows who John is because by jumping he altered the timeline or because this was always the way he ended up coming to lead the resistance. Though, given that Kyle in the original movie talks about John helping him escape the prison camp I'd lean towards the flexible future explanation.

Not to mention that a flexible future gives even more weight to the very first thing we hear from John in the franchise (through Kyle): The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, I agree- T3 is fully an alternative thing, just using it to show that the nature of the T-1000 design being difficult to control tracks in both continuities.

16. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    Awesome episode!
    Although I'll be really pissed if we don't get a conclusion.

I had to watch the ending several times but I still think I probably missed some things.

Was that part of Weaver that went back into her leg (after shielding the blast) or was that a seperate terminator?
    The first time I watched it I thought that corrupted her and then she tricked John to going into the future.

Do we know for sure if that was Weaver on the Jimmy Carter? I'd like to think so with the whole "will you join us thing".

And was that Sarah that came through at the end when we see another temporal disturbance and hear Sarah say "I love you too"?

And just some thoughts on the timeline, but in this future the Humans better be getting their butts kicked and be *this close to going out* otherwise in terms of overall story you could diminish the importance of John Conner. That is if the humans have been getting by with some other leader. I'd have to think about the continuity more but regardless of timeline John needs to be the one that does the leading. Although, if they do stay in this future it would explain how John survived Judgment Day and also his knowledge of the Machines would be unparalled.

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Is it impossible to reconcile the two continuities? I consider that Skynet just pulled back Judgment Day, so as to be sure that everything was in order - or they had simply decided to seek control of the world without Judgment Day...

John and Skynet playing Time Chess is a beautiful idea, mind you. :cool:

I simply view that T3 happened, but Cameron going back in time changed that continuity.

Incidentally, that final episode was astonishingly impressive. The twist blew apart my brain. Awesome. :cool:

18. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    The 'thing' that merged in with Weaver was the eel from the tank in her office. Which when combined with a general vibe from the scene with the detective last episode leads me to think that Weaver had left a portion of herself behind as a failsafe/watchdog.

19. gonzoforce

Feb 27, 2002
    it looks the show's basically canceled, according to Entertainment weekly and various other sites. Not really shocked, but still yet another reason Fox sucks. If they cancel Dollhouse, I'm not watching that network for awhile. They cancel every show I watch and keep the crap ones, ie American Idol, never seen a single episode of that show and never will. I'll stick with CBS, at least they have faith in there shows.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I loved the little touch with the eel. "Don't tap on the glass."

We haven't seen the ability of the T-1000 to function simultaneously in multiple blobs used much beyond reformation moments, so it's quite inventive to see it being used to watch her office or whatever it's function was for.

Now we just need a T1K to split into two midgets to take on multiple opponents and the notion can be brought to it's natural conclusion ;)

We don't know it was Weaver on the Jimmy Carter for certain, but it's possible. At the very least Weaver is allied with the same rogue metal faction that the Jimmy Carter T-1000 was with.

And we're unsure if Sarah went through, but it's just as likely it was just her voice that carried through from the leftover temporal spark.

It's possible that Cameron/Cromartie coming through and jumping the Connors ahead delayed Judgement Day a second time, thus erasing the T3/Salvation timeline, but there are a few lingering elements whose presence/absence (Brewster, Derek, Jesse, rogue metal) seemingly precludes them being fully compatible alternate timelines- also, as far as I can tell, Judgement Day in T3 would have happened with or without John Connor being present in 2003, so I can't see how Cameron/Cromartie and the Connors' absence/survival would delay it further. Remember that T3 says their mission in that movie was never to stop Judgement Day- only to survive it.

All of those sites are mainly spreading the same report from someone who heard from someone who works on the show/at Wb that the sets were being taken down. But, as I mentioned earlier- there really aren't any serious sets they need to keep standing. All they need is maybe John Henry's basement and a generic Future War bunker set, both which can be easily recreated. The majority of sets they DID have for the season (the house/shed, Weaver's office, Jesse's hotel room) were taken out of the story and probably would have been taken down anyways even if the show was guaranteed to return.

The show has done very well on DVD and in DVR and online viewing rankings, and is produced/paid for by WB, not Fox- so the survival of the show depends more on WB than Fox. The only thing Fox will really decide is if they want to keep the show on their channel or not- WB is the one who'll decide to green light the next season, even if it's on a different channel. And WB is the one with a major summer tentpole Terminator film, and presuming the movie is a hit, would be interested in the notion of keeping the Terminator brand out there via the show for the next year or two until the next movie can be made, not to mention hopefully increasing profits via the show by exploiting the success of the movie.

21. Galactica

Galactica Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2009
    Well.... I must say I am incredibly impressed with that as a season finale. Especially the way it sets up John starting himself out, and did anyone else recognise that coat before Derek pointed it out? Definately need another series, if Fox cancels this, I will never watch their network again! I have a few questions...

Why did John Henry jump to this point in time?
    Where did Weaver go?
    Why did Cameron not recognise the message, when she was on the Jimmy Carter was she in a diferent timeline?
    Why Did Cameron donate her chip to John Henry, if so, surely John Henry's body has her personality know?

I get the idea that these will be only answered with another season, one that will hopefully have more of the future resistance fighters, including Cameron, Derek and Reese in.

-Galactica

22. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Unfortunately, things aren't looking good for T:TSCC. I noticed this on EW.com today.

23. Radical_Edward

May 2, 2002
    It sure seemed to me that Cameron did recognize the message and responded to it. She probably wouldn't have let John visit Weaver if she didn't know who he was going off to talk to.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Corona Coming Attractions: Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles not terminated yet

Last Friday's season finale of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles scored big with fans that have been watching the series (myself included) but ratings wise it was up only a fraction, being beaten by its competition in its 8 PM timeslot. But the mission isn't officially over for Sarah and her team just yet, so don't believe it when someone reports that T:TSCC is finished.

The reports of the show's termination were started by Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello who cited an anonymous source that told the journalist that "It's done...Everyone has pretty much known for a couple of weeks."

But that's not what key people working on the Fox show have heard at all. "Time for Ausiello's semi-annual SCC termination report," wrote Ashley Edward Miller, one of the series' writers on his Twitter account hours ago. "False again. (Remember 'sets were destroyed' report? Now you know context, people)." Miller is talking about the rumor that the Terminator sets were destroyed because the show had been quietly cancelled by Fox, when in fact several of the season two sets were wrecked because that's what was supposed to happen to them in the course of Friday night's finale.

And if you were reading the twist ending in the final moments of the last episode of T:TSCC as a coda to the series, that's definately not what was intended by the show's creators. "There were no intentions of this being a series finale. It was absolutely a season finale," answered Brian Austin Green when Comic Book Resources interviewed the actor. "There?s a plan where this can go and it?s so good. You know, I went on some of the Terminator sites just to see what fans were saying Friday night and there is a lot of confusion over it."

Green went on to talk about the rumor that the show had already been canned. "Nobody?s heard anything. I?ve heard a lot of speculation, you know, people saying that it won?t be back but we thought that after our first season," said the actor. "We?ve kind of been the show that?s fought its way through and I don?t think we?re done. I don?t necessarily think that FOX is done with it. They really enjoy the show. It?s just that a show like this has a very specific audience. It?s a really intelligent show and for the people that don?t watch it every week, there?s no possible way they could follow it."

Fox will announce its fall line-up on May 18, four days before the next movie in the franchise, Terminator Salvation, arrives in theaters. Until the official announcement gets handed down from the network, remember what Kyle Reese told Sarah Connor in Terminator 2: there is no fate but what we make.

25. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Allow me to :-B for a moment:

REALLY? How is it even possible for someone to know the movies well enough to remember that line yet poorly enough to describe its context in such a misleading way?

EDIT: I'm also getting frustrated by the number of outlets reporting the EW cancellation rumor as if it were written in stone.

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions because I REALLY want another season, but I can't help wondering if there isn't something slimy going on here. FOX is getting four weeks of people hearing that the show is over before they make the official announcement. They're able to hold off all but the extremists from any sort of fan campaign, because there isn't technically a cancellation to protest yet. By the time the actual announcement is made, it's very possible that people who might have participated in a campaign for renewal will have, after four weeks of hearing "it's over", have moved on.

Like I said, I may be jumping at shadows, but I wouldn't put it past FOX to try something like this. I'm also just very suspicious at the amount of almost uniform credence lent to this single source (Ausiello) at EW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.