main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Terms that shouldn't be used in Star Wars novels?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by s_heffley, May 22, 2016.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm not wasting my energy, I'm just stating that there really is nothing to discuss: Basic sounds exactly like English. It's an outlandish premise, but it's the only one that's necessary to accept. Once you've accepted that, you can move on.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    In that case Mon Mothma really looked like two entirely different people across her life and transformed sometime during the Original Trilogy.

That's the rabbit hole you go down when you assume the magic window. :p

Vthuil likes this.
  3. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I hated that some character in SW Commander used the word fascist. And I was dismayed that so many people don't know where the word comes from. Also, got accused of being petulant [​IMG]

4. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Yep, that was the Twi'lek smuggler Liana Korr who called the Imperials "fascists." It WAS a bit eyebrow-rising, but still didn't bother me too much. :)

Also... "petulant?" What does that word have to do with knowing the etymological connexion between fascim and the lictors' bundles?

DelRiego likes this.
  5. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I never noticed the hot chocolate, or the ducks, even though I must have read both of those books somewhere between 10 and 15 imes when I was, well, between 10 and 15. I loved "that's not exactly my cup of Elba", and I never found "caf" or "fresher" in the least way jarring.

But what really threw me in one later Star Wars book (I think it must've been FotJ or something) was when one character, when asked if they had any information on something, said, "Nothing duracrete yet."

Because, okay, fine, space concrete is duracrete. (Or plasicrete, or permacrete, or whatever.) But that's concrete-the-material, NOT 'CONCRETE'-THE ADJECTIVE! That's not how it works! Worse, you're making it sound like concrete-the-adjective is derived from concrete-the-noun, when in fact it's the other way around. That's JUST NOT DONE!

Mia Mesharad, Sarge, jSarek and 4 others like this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Those movies do exist.

And the films aren't a documentary. The visuals aren't true to life.

Basically you can overthink it in which case SW has been irreparably broken and inconsistent from the start (the films) and it's the worst.

Or we can say that it's a narrative conceit and move on to more important issues, like how to correctly address royalty because I swear if they address another monarch as "highness..." ;)

Sarge likes this.
  7. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, you have to make do with what you have in the movies, my dear. Surely, if Panaka calls Queen Amidala "Your Highness," it must mean that it's acceptable on Naboo. :p

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    A LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY

...far away from what? A long time ago, from when?

ATimson likes this.
  9. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    From our world, from our time. Lucas may have never given a precise date as to when Star Wars took place in the past, but that doesn't mean he didn't have one in mind. Did you know that he once said Willow took place in the 3rd or 4th century BC?

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So "our world" is allowed to insert itself into the film there, but not elsewhere? That text screams "this is being presented for the benefit of Earth viewers".

Kylun, Jedi Ben and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    *Sigh*
    Looks like I'm doomed to be marked as wrong. Fair enough.

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Actually, FOTJ has a couple of things that kind of bug me. By the time FOTJ (and even LOTF, but it became more common in FOTJ) came out, cell phones and text messaging were mainstream. However, the comlinks we've traditionally seen in SW have always been like little microphones or walkie-talkie things. They don't have a screen, is what I'm trying to say. But then suddenly in FOTJ everyone and their dead, dark-side brother is sending "text messages" or something to that effect, and I'm left wondering how the kriff you receive, read, or type a text message on these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And it really annoyed me. [face_dunno]

Sarge, Gamiel and cthugha like this.
  13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You're entitled to your opinion, I just think there's a lot of interesting stuff to unpack here--it's a microcosm of a much bigger debate re: canon and so on.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's annoying, but yes that's something I accept as correct usage on Naboo. Panaka would know. And it's actually not unknown for kings and queens to be styled highness, just outdated. However, I don't accept Luke calling the Galactic Emperor that -- he's mistaken.

Actually, "X just made an oops" is a great way to deal with things like this in general. Don't like something? Well, maybe the character just made an oops.

Sometimes it strains credibility, like the ever lengthening SSD in the EU, but it usually works.

Gamiel and LelalMekha like this.
  15. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, there are much bigger debates, indeed. Then again, it's a specialized thread in a specialized forum, so... :p

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    And then there's stuff like this to consider.

Sure enough, I asked this question on Twitter and a German follower replied "obviously they're speaking German!" ;)

Gamiel likes this.
  17. GoingInside

GoingInside Jedi Master star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    Well, I didn't see anyone else mention it directly, so I guess I have to...

Space diapers.

18. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    CooperTFN Whatever work I'm talking about, I'm only discussing the original version (as long as I can speak the language). It's almost a question of intellectual honesty.

CooperTFN likes this.
  19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I really feel any lingual issues are easily remedied by adding the word "space" before said word in question.

Even if you have to do so silently to yourself.

Take the word ship, for example. Ugh. Disgusting abuse of colloquial English.

Clearly it should be space ship.

Buuuuuut...space ship is pretty colloquial too. So maybe it should be space space-ship.

WMIRTUTSF likes this.
  20. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    The whole ship/starship thing makes me wonder... will we see the Imperial Navy in the new canon? Not the one in space, the seafaring one.* :p

* Which the Imperial Handbook referred to as the Imperial Maritime Division.

21. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Small little nitpick, but... real world politics terms like "left wing" and "right wing" the one or two times they were used in Bloodlines took me out of the universe a little. "Centrist" and "Populist" are real world words too, but in the book, they apply to different things and are defined well enough.

(Also "liberal" in Plagueis. Doubly weird because the word has at least two different meanings on Earth, depending on where you are).

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. Silly_Dan

Silly_Dan Jedi Master star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    "Liberal" or "Conservative" wouldn't bother me. Even "left-wing" and "right-wing" wouldn't bug me -- even though I know those terms derive from seating arrangements in the Estates General during the French Revolution, I could write it off as a translation convention or a reference to something in galactic history which coincidentally resulted in the same seating arrangement. "Tory", "Whig", "New Democrat", "Grand Old Party", or similar very specific or obscure references would make me frown.

Sarge, CooperTFN and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  23. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    That's always been my take on it, too. I think I'd only be bothered by real-life terms showing up in SW if they were aggressively colloquial and relatively recent --- bootylicious, smackdown, jumping the shark, etc. Then again, "gung ho" showed up a few times in the EU and I thought it was delightful.

It also goes without saying that a term like Kafkaesque, that's by definition making a comparison to a real-world person, would make no sense in SW, but I doubt I'd be fazed if I saw something called a Pyrrhic Victory, even though the word Pyrrhic is derived from the name of a real person. It's a few steps removed from Kafkaesque in that it's not a direct comparison, and it's also had a couple of millennia to become a catch-all term, which no doubt helps too. That's the thing about colloquial language --- with enough time it becomes less colloquial and more an accepted part of speech, like "down the rabbit hole" has. Maybe in a few decades, nobody would bat an eye if they read about a Jedi laying the smackdown on a bootylicious Sith. Or about a SW character having a bae. "Bae" is probably no weirder now than "nerd" was when Dr. Seuss invented it. Nowadays, if Mara playfully said to Luke "You're such a nerd," none of us would bat an eye.

jSarek, Kylun, CaptainPeabody and 2 others like this.
  24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Dr. Seuss invented "nerd"?

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This is reminding me of how funny it was when A New Dawn hit and everyone was like "omg guyz they said 'elevator' instead of 'turbolift' . . . will the new canon change everything!?"

And then Rebels aired and "turbolift" was back in.

Revanfan1, jSarek, Kylun and 4 others like this.