main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Terms that shouldn't be used in Star Wars novels?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by s_heffley, May 22, 2016.

1. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I think I'm hung up on certain forms of address, but maybe that's because the original movies are only able to depict small portions of galactic civilization (or non-civilization a fair amount, too). The first movies used formal language for family relationships; so Father and Mother, never mom and dad. There aren't really any occasions where it's natural in the dialogue for Luke to refer to Owen and Beru as "my Uncle" and my Aunt" which gives me the impression he would always refer to them as Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, never shortening those for convenience. It's just an impression. Naturally the prequels go for more causal address, using mom and dad. I almost think GL should have reversed that, since the Prequels have a more formal tone, and the original movies take place in locations were people are might well be less formal.

There have been the occasional book that has used Mr. or Ms., and those would annoy me until I rationalized that for SW, they are short for "master" or "mistress", which function as SW's equivalent of "mister" and "miss". But then Finn mucked that up by addressing Han as "Mister Solo", which caused my eyes to bug out for a moment when I first heard it in the theater.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Skywalker: Listen, I can't get involved! I've got work to do! It's not that I like the Empire, I hate it, but there's nothing I can do about it right now. It's such a long way from here.
    Kenobi: That's your uncle talking.
    Skywalker: Oh, boy, my uncle. How am I ever gonna explain this?
    Kenobi: Learn about the Force, Luke.

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Isn't the only person in the PT to use 'mom' Anakin, who's still very young and attached to his mother?

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Boba used "Dad."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darskpine10 likes this.
  5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Again, he is still a child.

6. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002

Ah, good reminder, thank you! I can't believe I'm starting to forget dialogue from movies I've seen sooo many times!

My mind is going. I can feel it.

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You're the best kind of person. [:D]

ATimson, CaptainPeabody and WMIRTUTSF like this.
  8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I can't even with this thread anymore.

9. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008

I dunno, there's no reason the term "Hell" necessarily has to refer to a place of punishment/divine alienation, let alone our culturally-approved, post-Dante, post-Puritan, post-editorial-cartooning vision thereof. The Latin infernus, Greek "Hades," and even the English Hell, have been and can be used to refer to anything from a shadowy Homeric netherworld to the Eleusinian fields of paradise. Han's comment would probably indicate that it's not a nice place, but there's still basically total freedom to define the characteristics of "Hell" in Corellian/SW cultural understanding.

Also, the EU had the literal Force Hell for bad Dark Side people, right? That was pretty wizard.

Sarge, Gamiel and LelalMekha like this.
  10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes, the Dark Side Hell, or "Chaos." And I liked that. (Of course, Plagueis didn't believe it was a real place, but only the perception of imminent dissolution some beings felt upon death. But Plagueis was such an atheist! :p )

11. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    And Plagueis was absolutely correct.

Dissolution of the Self = Jedi harmony / Sith Chaos.

12. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    But Plagueis also thought that Sith ghosts didn't exist, despite the fact that he met one. He's the Agent Scully of the Sith Order. :D (And the "Force afterlife" was depicted as real "place" in an old Marvel comic. Well, as "real" as the inside of a Rakata mind prison at any rate.)

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Luke used to bullseye womprats, right? So, what's a bull? How big are its eyes in a GFFA? How many eyes does it have?

14. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    A bull bantha's eyes get pretty big, but good luck finding them under all that shag.

15. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm surprised that we've managed to get four pages in to this thread without anyone mentioning the infamous "Portuguese man-o'-war" from the Lando series. :p

16. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, what's wrong with coming from the planet Portug?

Revanfan1, Ulicus and Nom von Anor like this.
  17. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    The fact that the planet Portug didn't exist at the time of their writing it. ;)

LelalMekha likes this.
  18. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Irrelevant to me. :p I prefer to see things from an In Universe perspective. ;)

Gamiel and Grand Admiral Paxis like this.
  19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Isn't there a Planet Barcelona where the dogs have no noses?

SilentGuy66 and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Like that scene in Book of the Sith where Plagueis meets Marka Ragnos's ghost on Korriban and Ragnos doesn't answer his scientific questions so he just leaves in a tizzy assuming it was a day dream.

Like Marka frickin Ragnos tries to haunt you and you don't even give him the time of day!

21. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I always wondered whether we were supposed to agree with Plagueis or not. TOTJ makes it clear that Sith Ghosts are very real (and there was also Ajunta Pall's ghost in KOTOR). Looks like Plagueis exhibited the Scully Syndrome. Or maybe Arbitrary Skepticism is a better definition of his mindset.

Mia Mesharad and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Plagueis is a fanatic, if it don't fit his view of reality it's some kind of trick or just not real.

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Okay, but then what do those without Force sensitivity, or who were never trained as Jedi or Sith, experience upon death?

24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Nothing, I would imagine.

The Sith fight against the current (with Sith Spirits being those who are the best at it), the Jedi allow it to take them (with Force Ghosts being those who ride the current perfectly), and the non-sensitive have no choice in the matter.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000

Perhaps the individual religion or folklore of their own individual worlds? It could be that there are people who don't believe in the Force but who do believe in a God/Goddess/Pantheon, and who have their own mythology of the afterlife. And there must be the Galactic version of atheists, who think all this Force stuff is a bunch of hooey (paging Captain Solo!). ;)

Or not?

Gamiel and Revanfan1 like this.