main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Terms that shouldn't be used in Star Wars novels?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by s_heffley, May 22, 2016.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    He's not right in any sense, pedantic or otherwise.

Gamiel, Lord Dunsany wants a word with you.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Vthuil said 'founding father of modern fantasy' and I think Edward Plunkett is more of a grandfather since he influenced the people who established the tropes that modern authors have to relate to in, one way or other.

3. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Another one I've been thinking about is the term Dreadnaught. While it's now used just as a word for a large ship, it was originally a specific British ship in 1905, the HMS Dreadnought. If you're gonna be all nit-picky about language then a word based on a specific ship on earth should have no place in Star Wars.

Personally though, stuff like that doesn't bother me unless it's very jarring (I'm looking at you Chuck "space diapers" Wendig).

Sarge likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To my understanding dreadnought means "a person who fears nothing"/"something that assures against fear" and a piece of technology called that could just mean that it is so powerful that it has nothing to fear. A perfect name for a powerful war vehicle/machine.

5. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    There's also things in books that are described as 'Spartan' when there's obviously no Greece, or is there? There is Tion. The Tionese language is basically Greek. My personal theory is that there maybe was a place called Sparta, a planetary state that fell into obscurity and there's no evidence of its existence but the term remained. Same way the common person unfortunately wouldn't know what 'Spartan' even is before 300 came out.

That's my theory for a lot of the words that came from the real life through events and places that normally wouldn't exist. The term 'Holocaust', for example, comes from the Greek language. I would take that in-universe as that it came from the Tionese language. 'Fascism' meanwhile comes from 'fasces' in the Latin alphabet, and I believe we had a language that was practically Latin in Star Wars. I don't recall, but it was either High Galactic or Old Corellian. One of those two.

Revanfan1 and Sarge like this.
  6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It was High Galactic. (Might I add that the Sith holocron prop appearing in one of the Visual Dictionararies has a genuine Latin sentence written in Aurebesh!)

7. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    The GFFA uses the Metric System. Celsius is metric.

8. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I think the better approach is to list the handful of solely Star Wars terms.

Utini!

Yub yub.

I think that about covers it.

Edit:

Echuta.

9. Onli-Wan Kannoli

Onli-Wan Kannoli Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2016
    This example isn't actually from a novel, but it bothered me in an episode of TCW when Obi-Wan tells Anakin, who's piloting their ship, to "Step on it!"

...Step on what?

10. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Do we know how speeder controls are set up? They may have accelerator pedals...

Havoc123 likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Steel kitten. o_O Even in a fairly lousy book, that one stood out.

12. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Not only, but I'm pretty sure in the very distant past there'd have been wheel-based vehicles in Star Wars. We see them in military application quite frequently through various time periods as well. We use terms that have been around since the 15th century and earlier even if the applications referred in said terms are no longer in use.

13. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I'm about 1/2 way thru the Leia book Bloodline. They sure do much drinking in the book! Well anyway while I have no problems of authors using terms like beer, wine, hooch, brandy, etc,.....they shouldn't use earth alcoholic regional names like Port(Portugal), Champagne, Scotch, Tequila, Cognac, Bourbon, etc, etc.

Gamiel likes this.
  14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Yes, Ferroplast Pitten is much better :D

Gamiel and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  15. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014
    None of this stuff ever really bothers me in Star Wars, but there was an episode of Game of Thrones that mentioned a "French cut dress" and I was like "Where's France in that world?"

Darth Basin likes this.
  16. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    He says FRINGED sleeves, not FRENCH sleeves.

17. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Galactic Basic Standard was created as an artificial language by Republican scientists and only by pure chance it sounds exactly as modern-day English.
    This gives a good explaination on why there are terms used in the GFFA that are cleary related to Earth: For example, while in real life there were old myths and historical events from which the terms "odyssey" (the legend of Odysseus), "Celsius" (a scientist named so) or "crusade" (the medievial crusades) stem from, in the Star Wars universe some guys sat down and invented those terms from out of nothing, and by chance they are spoken and written the same and have the same meanings as regular English words.
    Surely this is very unlikely, but I can suspend my disbelief on this. ;)

And the High Galactic Standard language exists in the GFFA too - while Basic is exactly like English, High Galactic is supposed to be Latin.

So I have no problem with words and phrases that are clearly related to Terran history and events. Many words came from such things but they must be used because there are no others terms.
    I write fantasy set in imaginary worlds too and the only terms I try to avoid are those with a very clear connection to something Terran. For example, when I describe human ethnicities, I strictly avoid words such as "European" and "East Asian" for obvious reasons, though I still use "antiquity" or "medieval ages" in a current project because in it's world's fictional history there are time periods very akin to those eras on Earth.

Gamiel and Sarge like this.