Amph [Terra Nova] That Spielberg TV show with people Time-Travelling back to the Dinosaurs

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Sep 5, 2011.

1. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    It started out okay, but things started to devolve very quickly.
  2. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    Fun, silly entertainment. Some of the father-son angst was a bit forced, but the biggest area that needed working on was the pacing and progression. The writers could've taken it slower, taken their time with the scenes, given the actors more room to work. I honestly don't think they needed any of the 22nd-century Earth stuff, either, or maybe just some quick shots of dirty earth, the rebreathers, and the family lining up for the pilgrimage (and the dad's whole fugitive angle could've been more of a mystery). The show could do to learn a lot from LOST, especially its pilot.
  3. Im_just_guessing Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    No. Lost was terrible. And the terrible thing about it was too much mystery. Mystery is not necessary, and its definitely not necessary in this show. Lay the cards on the table damn it or don't show scenes from the point of view of those who hold them.
  4. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6

Some of the angst seemed forced, but on the whole, it was decent. I'll watch again next week.
  5. LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I liked it, I'm definitely watching next week.
  6. WookatMe Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    It was a bit silly and cheesy. "You want to give me a gun and a badge, and let me do what I do best". I will still give it a few episodes though.
  7. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    I'll let the first few eps pile up in the dvr before I decide based on your opinions.
  8. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    I really liked it. It was dorky, but good.
  9. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    I agree. The relationship between Josh and Jim struck me as being kind of cliched, but I liked Commader Taylor's Col. Quarritch vibe and I liked his surrogate father-daughter relationship with Skye, which suggests that he's not a total hardass. The Sixers are enigmatic and may have their own agenda, which should make for some nice tension and the mathematical equations carved on the rocks near the waterfall, along with Taylor's missing son add a nice element of mystery. Overall there are enough elements that could turn Terra Nova into a really fun show...
  10. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    Stephen Lang is awesome, I'm not sold on the rest of the cast yet, but I'll be watching next week.

I'm amused that the Shannons are supposed to be sympathetic because they had a third child though.
  11. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    I'm curious to find out why they choose to have a 3rd kid, though. There was allusion to a story-line there.
  12. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah. Maybe Zoe was an accident or something....?
  13. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Maybe, but it almost sounded like she was planned.
  14. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, in either case, it will be interesting to see where they take her character...
  15. Im_just_guessing Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    She's going to be eaten by a dinosaur for sure. They already established that she doesn't have an appropriate fear reaction, she's going to walk right into some dinosaur's mouth.

I don't understand though why she needed to be smuggled into the time portal. It seemed like they arrested Sam Tyler because he was hiding her, but then what happened to her? Did she get taken to some orphanage? If so, then how'd they get her back. If not, then that would imply the law let Mommy keep her, so why would the law then send Mommy through the time portal with only two of the kids, and leave the little girl behind?
  16. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Somebody better get eaten by the dinosaurs. Enough of this being gutted stuff. I want some JP-style eating the lawyer on the toilet stuff.

17. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    I imagine the "mystery" is some gobbledygook about how the space-time fissure thing is actually two-way (provided they build what apparently is a supercollider) and something on 80,000,000-year-old Earth has the key to saving/controling 2149 Earth. And gruff old leader guy is not as pure as he seems (sorry, did I spoil it for ya?).

I thought it was "eh." The characters are bland. So, so bland. I spaced out during some parts I was so bored. I can't point to which relationship is horribly cliche with no original twist, 'cause it's ALL OF THEM. The dinosaur effects were subpar; Jurassic Park's worst, most dated CG imagery is many times better. Yes, I realize JP had a much bigger budget, but what's the point of Terra Nova's attempt to linger on the kewl dinos when they look like they were ripped out of the years-old Walking with Dinosaurs? Blech. I guess it's too much to ask for subtle dinosaur depictions, perhaps avoiding showing them in broad daylight.

I thought it was nice how they addressed the possibility of a bunch of horrible diseases swarming all over humans who travel to the distant past (mammals exist and dinosaurs are the ancestors of birds, so why shouldn't some of their diseases affect humans?). But they ignored that the average global temperature is over 10 degrees hotter (meaning much hotter in the tropics and temperature areas), humidity is worse, and oxygen concentration in the atmosphere is higher. Yeah, I know they mentioned that people would have to adjust to a higher oxygen level, but I took that to mean that the Blade Runner Earth had less oxygen than 2011 Earth. Also, I find it hard to believe that anything would be edible without selective breeding or genetic modification.

I don't remember if they mentioned it, but why are they able to send people in orderly "pilgrimages"? I thought they made it clear that the thing only goes to one point in the past. So why has Terra Nova already been around 7 years by the time the multiethnic-but-not-so-much-that-it's-threatening family gets there?
  18. Im_just_guessing Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    They made nothing clear at all in how the time travel thing worked. I think its implied that the time thing takes you back a certain amount of time, not to one specific point in time. But then gruff old leader guy said when they went back originally he arrived 180 days earlier than everyone else or something but for everyone else in the 1st trip it seemed only an instant. In conclusion. You're wrong, but still nothing makes sense.
  19. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Huh, I could've sworn there was a line about it though maybe I just took it as implied.
  20. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    It seemed that the mom got to keep Zoey for those two years (she's used to sleeping in her mom's bed, and only doesn't know the dad), but the mom says sometime during the show that only her and her oldest kids were invited, that they want to set an example for breaking the law. Which is really cruel and heartless.

I think they had Zoey because Josh had a different mom, or maybe's adopted (that "being like your father" could be a red herring). He looks nothing like his mother and sisters. Or maybe it's something like that old medical controversy, where the mom has another kid because one of the older kids has a medical condition and they can't find a match.

And the ending seemed to hint that it IS the same timestream, with Taylor's missing crazy scientist son, with the Sixers saying the true purpose of Terra Nova is to control the future.

What is the deal with the Sixers, anyways? Taylor said something about them asking about his security measures. I'm thinking that the conflict is more gray than appears, that maybe Taylor can act like a dictator sometimes, and that's why they split off. But why only the 6th wave?

That boy that the daughter likes seems a little fishy, even though he's barely said two words. I'm thinking he's the spy for the Sixers.
  21. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    That occurred to me, but it would be waaayyy too stupid. I mean, they even mentioned the mind-boggling paradoxes that would be involved and the "butterfly effect" that could ruin everything in the future. 80,000,000 years in the past is also too early to be able to consciously manipulate anything about human civilization, unless of course you want to make sure it never comes into existence* (e.g., kill all life on Earth, prevent the extinction of the dinosaurs... 15 million years down the line). But I don't think anyone wants to do something like that. Hence the (slightly better) theory I came up with.

*Well, technically humans already exist in that timeline, though it's safe to assume that Terra Novans would be long extinct before even the earliest primate started picking at its fleas.
  22. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    BY CHANGING THE FLOW OF THIS PREHISOTRIC STREAM I WILL PREVENT THE FORMATION OF THE NILE RIVER VALLEY, AND THUS THE VERY CONCEPT OF NATIONHOOD.
  23. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    I take the time portal to be conceptually similar to a Stargate, in that it goes in both directions, but not at the same time. The reason why it appears to be a one way trip is because it takes a pair of supercolliders to keep the time fracture open. If I had guess I would that speculate that the carvings on the rocks are the mathematical equations that make the time fracture possible. I also think that there may be a link between that, Taylor's son and the Sixers.
  24. Im_just_guessing Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    But how does it work that Colonel Quaritch ended up going 180 days further into the past than everyone else that came with him on that trip? That sounds like its not a consistent thing, but no one else seems to have consistency issues. They've also seemed to imply that there is ready communication between the past and the future, which seems like both ends of the portal are moving forward through time at the same pace, or something.

I'm betting that this is foreshadowing for some future development that there are people who have been there for years or decades that are actually the 20th Pilgrimage or something.
  25. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8