main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Terra Nova] That Spielberg TV show with people Time-Travelling back to the Dinosaurs

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    It will be interesting to see what kind of in universe explanation they come up with for that, but for now, I love the fact that Taylor survived on his own in a dinosaur infested jungle for four months.

As I said in a previous post, I have feeling that the portal operates on principles that are somewhat similar to that of a Stargate. Radio waves can travel in both directions at once, but solid matter can't.

That's an interesting notion. A notion that has occured to me is that maybe they should find plants an animals that don't appear in Earth's fossil record.

2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Watched it last night. Need more time to give it a thumbs up or down.

3. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    You're not getting the issue with that. The issue being that if Quaritch ended up shooting 180 days more into the past than everyone else, then the past end of the portal isn't consistent, which would make consistent communications impossible.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    You are contradicting yourself then, and refereencing the wrong part of your post.

Here you are asking how, from his perspective and apparently no-one else's, did he end up spending four months alone 80,000,000 years in the past, and I agree. That's an interesting question, one that I would like to see an in universe answer for. Either its a consistency issue that simply wasn't caught, or the writers wrote that line on purpose and they are planning on going somewhere with it.

Here you are acknowledging that the Terra Novans seem to have more or less realtime two-way communication the future through the time fracture, hence my earlier speculation that the underlying physics of the time fracture may be somewhat similar to Stargate physics, in that energy, such as radio waves can travel in both directions at once, but solid matter can only travel in one direction at a time, depending on which side is the entrance and which is the exit. This, combined the fact it requires a pair of supercolliders open the time fracture in the first place, means that for now, its a one way trip.

5. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    I don't know how I could be any more clear. Look in Stargate when they're communicating back and forth through the gate. It works because both ends of the gate are at the same time. What if sometimes the gate was jumping 180 days into the past. Radio signals would go unanswered, or sometimes your communications would arrive to their recipient ahead of previous messages you sent, which could violate causality.

6. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    pretty dopey but entertainingly so, at least.

7. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    Horrible.

8. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Taking what was said at face value (as we don't have anything more than notions that there is more to the story with the issue of Taylor's son and the conversation between Mera and Carter) they discovered the time fracture and then began sending people into the past. So what if it's a case that the fracture is stable and gives a consistent time difference which radio waves can pass through, but to move matter requires the use of a super-collider and it is this that could induce a variation in the wormhole stability when transferring back to the past/alternate timeline.

9. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    I'm too old to find teenagers interesting. I just want to smack them.

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Anyone think that Malcolm or one of the other department heads is in league with the Sixers?

[face_thinking]

11. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Based on the first 5 minutes* of the second episode, the humans are, indeed, finding subduing dinosaurs somewhat difficult.

*I haven't paid attention past that, really :p

12. alt0233

alt0233 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 4, 2002
    But they didn't really master time travel. They just utilized an already existing wormhole.

13. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    Its the birds!

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Pretty sure that humans from about 1900 would have little trouble with dinosaurs if they used military-grade weaponry. :p

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Malcolm is such a creep. I don't think he's a Sixer, but he's trouble.

16. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    Well so far in the show it seems that dinosaurs have kevlar skin, or going back in time messes with your ability to aim a weapon, because they shoot those things so much and all they seem to do is drive them back a little.

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Considering the size of some of the animals they are dealing with, I think the Terra Novans are just underarmed. Rocket launchers and mortars should be standard issue.

18. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I thought the same thing! I really enjoyed the episode to be completely honest.

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I noticed the same thing, but it didn't bother me.

I'm pretty sure I heard the Commander dude mention something about using "tranq rounds" in the premiere when they went to go rescue those kids.

Maybe they're using non-lethal weapons to avoid upsetting the ecosystem. I noticed what looked like sonic cannons in those towers flanking the gates of Terra Nova. Perhaps they imposed major restrictions on weapons after Earth's downfall.

I mean, it would be pretty stupid for them to go ripping up the jungle with miniguns and grenade launchers after what happened to Earth.

Haven't seen the second episode yet, it's on the DVR, though.

20. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Just watched the première tonight. Looking good and can't wait to watch more :D

21. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I like this show and sincerely hope it does not degenerate into "how we escaped the dinos this week," but continues to bring up stuff about the future and those strange drawings on the rocks by the falls.

And judging by elephant skin, dino skin could be very thick. They did say to aim for the underbelly so the round would penetrate the skin.

22. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    I tried watching the second episode On Demand, but you have to watch the WHOLE episode in one sitting (no fast-forward, no picking up where you left off), which is impossible for me.

And I won't look at Hulu, because it's stupid. So there.

23. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The first episode was interesting, but it quickly lost momentum once the father/son dynamic was tossed in, imo.

The second episode was terribly weak for a series Fox seems to be putting so much into. Also, the CGI-backgrounds are sometimes way too obvious and ugly, even for a TV budget. If you're going to shoot tropical/jungle scenery, why not follow Lost's example and use tropical/jungle scenery?

Also, unrelated, but I'm pissed at Fox for getting rid of Traffic Light and replacing it with New Girl. WTH.

24. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    Against all expectations I thought this episode was actually an improvement over the previous ones.

Couple more decent episodes and I'm sold.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    My DVR didn't record tonight's episode, only the first few minutes, because I guess some baseball game was still playing :(