main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Terror attacks in Europe

Discussion in 'Community' started by slightly_unhinged, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    One fat dislike for you.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They also didn't deserve to be gunned down in cold-blood. You'd only come to that conclusion if you're a nutcase.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Would have preferred a rebuttal instead.
    Agreed, which is why I stated it was tragic that they were killed.

4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    You got one.

5. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I'm sure you read the magazine often and are not basing that repugnant statement solely on some tidbits of information you just gleaned from an anglo news source. Surely.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Doesn't matter. Why did you feel the need to point this out?

They were murdered in cold blood for their political speech. It doesn't matter if they were Enlightenment philosophers or neckbeards, it's effed up.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    That's not really a rebuttal. I didn't say they weren't mutually exclusive. I claimed this particular group wasn't the latter.

Might want to actually respond to things people say next time.
    Because there are a bunch of political cartoons being made about how this is some massive attack on "muh freeze peaches!"

8. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Based on what?

You too.

COMPNOR and Juliet316 like this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The whole point of free speech is that it's content-neutral. Even assuming what you say is true (and Chyntuck has contested that), being targeted because of it is just as pernicious as being targeted for some erudite treatise.

That's the whole point of free speech.

On top of that, people are dead and you feel the need to say "oh well they weren't that great anyway." If you had a credible point to make, you could make it without sounding inhuman.

If.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    It actually does become about muh freeze peaches when people are murdered for drawing a cartoon.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "Let's not lose perspective."? WTF?

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes. Perhaps these cartoonists were not fighting for free speech, but they were shot and killed exercising their right to free speech.

You also randomly brought atheists into it. As if being atheist is a negative.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Charlie Hebdo is pretty fantastic. It helps reading it first.

And what the hell, dude.

Jedi Ben, Ender Sai, jp-30 and 3 others like this.
  14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    This. In a nutshell.

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't know what's changed. You guys were a lot more understanding of how dumb it is to be overly offensive to various groups, especially when the topic of the Muhammad cartoons, in the past.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/hey-its-muhammad-lol.30439436/

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...er-political-cartoons.23072634/#post-23090834 especially you GrandAdmiralJello, who, while stating that it's not a legitimate reason for violence, understood how being overly offensive was not the way to go.

I'm not saying anything that wasn't wasn't said by Suzuki_Akira, Wocky, Andalite, etc on this topic, and suddenly I'm evil?

16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    They were drawing like sluts and totally asking for it #NotAllMurderers

17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I. As I said in my very first post, this isn't about Muhammad this time -- it's a cartoon about some guy.

II. Even then, I called the rioting and violence excessive. How much more so is mass murder, out of cold blood?

III. Those posts were in response to people tarring an entire religion, which was unwarranted and unfair. That's not happening here, Vivec

IV. Even if their cartoons were ill-advised, that doesn't mean I'd go on about how subpar they are.

Free speech doesn't mean people can't react poorly to what you say. But murder to shut them up is not ever to be countenanced in any civil society.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Sure. But no one's dehumanized Muslims here, but you sure have tried to justify or at least relativize the Hebdo's murders. I mean, you've heard they wore fedoras or something.

Again, what the hell.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Which guys? Jello and...? Who else out of those pointing your post was BS?

Juliet316 and Chyntuck like this.
  21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah, I totally justified those murders. Not like I said this or anything:

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Okay guys, let's keep it in perspective, it was only 12 people. Far more die everyday from starvation. And they were probably all french! It could have bene worse, that's all I'm saying.

slightly_unhinged and Chyntuck like this.
  23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    If you're offended, deal with it.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    One of my friends made one of those posts after the Boston Marathon bombing, and it as all we could do not to cut her off after that. A fierce debate ensued, and she only apologized after realizing how many of our friends were from Boston and were personally affected.

I don't get the response to tragedy that compels somebody to say "much worse is happening all the time guys". I could get it if it actually accomplished something, but just of the time it comes across aa bragging.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Who's behaving like an r/atheism buffoon now?

What the hell.