main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Terror attacks in Europe

Discussion in 'Community' started by slightly_unhinged, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm starting to think all this media attention that we give to terrorists just gives them more incentive to do this sort of thing.

Chewgumma likes this.
  2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't think that is how terrorism works, somehow.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News is reporting that a man is being held in Turku Finland after he stabbed several people. Police shot him in the leg and arrested him.No word on if it's terrorism or a local nutter so far.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Finnish police released this statement about fifteen minutes ago: "”Polisen letar efter flera eventuella gärningsmän i Åbo. Människor uppmanas att avlägsna sig från Åbo centrum".
    Translation: The police are looking for more possible perpetrators in Åbo (Turku). People are advised to leave central Åbo.

Gamiel likes this.
  5. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    *sighs*

too early to suggest if it is terrorism.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    We have to wait to see what skin color or religion he is first.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  8. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Terrorism is terrorism in Europe.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Not necessarily. The EU definitions of "terrorism" are quite strict, and it's unfortunately quite true that the color of the perpetrator's skin has played a role in deciding whether an attack is terrorism or not more than once.

10. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    National governments differ from the EU standard. Believe it or, whether strange, some governments recognise terrorist groups that the EU does not.

I believe the UK's far right neo-nazi groups do not appear on the EU list, but are outlawed under the Terrorism Act in the UK.

11. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Obviously some laws and lists differ, but you can't deny that several attacks in Europe haven't been classified as terrorist attacks because of the "strict regulation" (absolutely the color of the attackers' skin). Hell, in Sweden we've had (at least) three cases of vehicular murder in the past decade. One of those was deemed a terrorist attack. You wanna guess why?

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News

Finland attack has been declared terrorism by the police. Two people died as a result of stabbing and eight were injured. Man arrested is an 18 y.o. Moroccan. Police carried out raids overnight.

SergeyX2017 likes this.
  13. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    A Moroccan (??) that was denied asylum (obviously, thank goodness), but then why was he still here? Why are people like that even allowed to roam around here freely? Really makes you think. How does that actually happen? What timeline am I in?

Huutista. [face_rofl] Finland becoming Sweden 2.0

Hans, get the luger.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Tree? I only remember the guy with mental problem in Gamla Stan and the attack on Drottninggattan, which is the third one?

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  16. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    Surgut, Northern Russia, earlier today

Russia attack: Eight injured in Siberian city of Surgut by 'man running along streets stabbing people'
    Isil claims responsibility after Russian knifeman stabs eight before being shot dead by police
    Several wounded in Russian knife attack, attacker shot dead

Some conflicting reports, here it says it was a "local resident": Russia knife attacker wounds seven in Surgut - BBC News

And here - that he was originally from Dagestan, and the son of a Muslim extremist known to authorities: Russian police shoot knife rampage attacker in Surgut

And also that the attack was bigfer and there are more victims than authorities acknowledge. That's Daily Mail though. Always gotta sensationalise... :rolleyes:

But, yes, I do believe he was a Dagestani. Saw it in many Russian sources. Would not be unusual. Many Dagestanis travel to Surgut, to work in the oil industry. Dagestan has own oil, and skilled oil workers, but not enough jobs for them. So, plenty of them head up North.

Could an extremist sneak in among them? Yes, absolutely.

Or, he could just be a mental case, as the authorities say.

But ISIS will, naturally, claim any act that seems to fit their ideology...

I don't know. Articles talk of one suspect, killed by the security forces, but one of the bits in the video compilation above above clearly shows police taking away some other man, obviously alive and walking on his own feet...

Heavily armed cops have been on the streets, checking cars
    [​IMG]

Just six days or so ago, the FSB said they foiled another ISIS plot, in Moscow:
    [​IMG]

Russian security agency says it foiled IS attack plot - ABC News

Terrorism is everywhere, these days.

Gamiel likes this.
  17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  18. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    What about the droid attack on the Wookiees?

19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

I prefer the 1970s, terrorism was nice enough to stay in Western Europe and the Middle East.

20. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Ah, you're correct. The third one was only attempted vehicular murder. It happened last month outside Gekås, Ullared. But the suspect was a "confused" Swedish white guy, so it wasn't terrorism.

EDIT: When I think about, there were two cases of "a car driving into crowds" in Karlstad just a couple of weeks ago. No one was injured, thank goodness, but the suspect (the same person in both cases) was a Swedish white guy with a drug problem, so it was deemed "not terrorism".

This is a recurring problem in Sweden - and most of the world - right now. The nazis who bombed a refugee shelter in Malmö were not convicted as terrorists, because their attack wasn't 'directed towards one specific group of people' (because more than one nationality lived at the shelter).
    The racist who walked into a school in Trollhättan, and killed three people with a machette, before being shot to death by police, was 'not a terrorist' for the same reason.
    The guy who plowed a truck into a crowd on Drottninggatan didn't attack one specific group of people either, but that was immediately deemed a terrorist attack. Funny how that works.

Gamiel likes this.
  21. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Are you ******' kidding me?

22. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Very happy that they located the little boy who went missing in the Barcelona attack. He's been located in a hospital and reunited with his dad. I think his mum is still in hospital somewhere but the family will pull through.

23. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I wish I were.

Though it happened in Gothenburg, not Malmö. My mistake.

24. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Looks like this was a bull**** story. I don't normally regurgitate news stories but this was something positive for a change. Looks like it was false.

25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    what - like the IRA ? . (I thought you lived in the UK)