main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Terror in France

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316 , Nov 13, 2015.

1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Land invasion via Lebanon.
    NATO won't allow Russian troops in Turkey or Iraq - so, if Putin is planning an extensive land war, Lebanon is the only option to the Russian Federation.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Uh, no.

1. Lebanon is not a major participant in the conflict.
    2. Lebanon is a sovereign state. Russia may be brazen with regards to former Soviet republics, but outside of their sphere would be another thing.
    3. Hezbollah, an ally of Assad, Iran, and Russia, is a major faction in Lebanon.
    4. Syria has a coast and Russia has bases there. There's no need to invade another country in order to land troops.
    5. There are millions of Syrian refugees in Lebanon. While I don't think Putin would make humanitarian considerations a priority, those refugees fleeing again (+new Lebanese refugees) would complicate things for no reason that I can see.
    6. Russia wouldn't ask to use their airspace if they were planning an invasion.
    7. Are you even more insane than everyone in this stupid war?

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah Russia would just land in Syria if they wanted ground troops. They're working with Assad, after all. And they have a substantial Navy.

4. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Is it weird that the press is making a point of that female terrorist being Skanky? How about just evil?

5. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Slut-shaming a martyred terrorist, that's a new angle. If it bleeds it leads and all that.

Jedi Merkurian and Dinos4Ever like this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Don't know if this was posted yet, but presenter Andrew Neil used his 'This Week' show to send a message to IS. You can see the video here on the BBC News site. (Hopefully those outside the UK can see the video).

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  8. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I'm rather interested in who side the SJW's will take in this one. :p

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Is Brussels still on lockdown?

10. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Not sure if this Atlanta threat is just fear-mongering or something actually legit. Which Anonymous Twitter account is valid, and which aren't? None of them have those 'Verified' logos so it's very hard to tell apart.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Oh, awesome.. cold weekend, so I'm gonna play me some BINGO!! :D

[​IMG]

12. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    single jewish white...umm...squires?

13. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Yes, for now.

I hear they will decide on what to do about future at 1pm today.

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Thanks for the link. Colbert made some similar points as well and I think they're well-taken.

I've now heard several news and media people start calling ISIS a "death cult". Which I think is useful terminology to get out there. Because what people need to realize is this is basically like Jonestown or Waco or Halle-bop or any other cult of this manner. If they are so desperate to bring about the end, here's a suggestion for them: koolaid + poison = you shuffle off this mortal coil and the rest of us can live our lives in peace.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    ISIL is an apocalyptic cult as well; the group more or less believe they're a key agent in bringing about the end of days. For whatever reason, which us rational folk struggle to understand, these people have concluded it is possible to the force the hand of God an accelerate this plans for final judgement of Earth.

That's pretty darn scary.

16. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Which is why I've never understood that being used as an argument not to intervene. If they believe it's prophecy to defeat us at one specific location why not just send everything there and easily wipe them out? We completely invalidate their prophecy and destroy their credibility.

17. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Well the counter argument to that is that Daesh seeks a confrontation to legitimize their views. A confrontation might validate what they are saying and sway more to their cause. If they say "there is a confrontation coming with the west" and then the west brings a confrontation, then they could point to that as a fulfillment of prophecy.

Then they can go "See what the west is doing? We were right!". Join us!"

And their ranks swell.

There's a reason they want a fight.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah. They want validation as a "nation." We need to fight them, but we need to do it in the right way. That's potentially very tricky.

19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Indeed. My first response is "give em hell". But, we have to be smarter than that.

20. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

I dunno. I understand that outlook but I also don't see any inaction or action that doesn't swell their ranks anyways. Airstrikes, ranks swell. Do nothing, ranks swell. I get the idea that fighting them is doing what they want... but us not fighting is also what they want because it lets them continue to exist.

I mean I get we need to be smart... but what option is there when they'll spin anything we do or don't do to their advantage and become more empowered?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looks like the Brussels lockdown continues at least into tomorrow. Schools, the metro, and universities will all be shut.

Edit - BBC News

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

Cut off their funds.

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Again, not that simple when their goal is nation state status. Nations collect taxes, which makes them self funding and ISIS is "collecting" "taxes" from the people who live in the territory it controls.

24. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Massive anti-terrorism operation in Brussels is under way. City on lock down; journalists are tweeting they've been locked inside their hotels and told not to leave their rooms. Paris style attack is imminent, according to ITV.

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

They get funds from a lot more than that/them.