Terrorism Attacks and Attempted Attacks

Discussion in 'FanForce: Conventions Europe' started by LAJ_FETT, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I hope the recent events in London and Glasgow don't put people off from coming to CE (or cause any guests to pull out). I'd like to think we are made of sterner stuff than that!
  2. skywalker_1982 Jedi Master

star 4
    I would like to also add that anyone coming from all over the world I know it may seem alarming news to you all but at times like this we just get on with it. I myself think personally that people who set out to cause damage to countries must get a buzz from the idea that people will start panicing and so forth but if you show no emotions it simply cheeses them off more.
    Take note of todays events in glasgow that when one of the guys was there on fire people were cheering on to just let him burn.
  3. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    if London sees reduced tourism (or other travel) in the coming weeks, then the terrorists have won [face_peace]

also, our main station (20 minutes away) gets several bomb threats a year, as well as our airport. They're pretty much always false alarms and it's not terrorism, but a bomb is a bomb. Hardly bothers anyone.
  4. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There are people in this world without respect for anyone but their own selfish selves and needs. They try to force us to listen to them and do as they want through violence, through pain and misery. They will never succeed because at the end of the day, they are weaker than us. We stand together and united against them. Let them fall on themselves.

I hope everyone has a safe and event-free journey to what is going to be Europe's biggest Star Wars event ever. We are decent people, let's show the world that :) And let's show the idiots of this world we will carry on with our lives despite their pathetic attempts to make us scared.

I have just booked myself into a hotel for the Wednesday night, so I will be available for helping people getting about on Thursday (or other days if need be). If anyone is concerned about travelling around London alone on arrival day, please post in this thread and let me know. I am more than happy to meet/greet people on the Thursday - I have two already arranged. Check that thread for details.
  5. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    My thoughts are with you all in the UK. These terrorists are nothing but cowards and fanatics. The biggest slap in the face to these deadbeats is to make this the greatest SW celebration of all time.
  6. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    These "terrorists" are pretty inept, imo. They're more a risk to themselves than the general public. 2 attempts thwarted and a third resulting in them setting themselves on fire.

It's hard to believe that people with intelligence levels this low actually exist.

Unless it's Brown trying to make it look as if he's outsmarting terrorists, by planting a load of rubbish fakes around. It's the only conclusion I can draw as to why they haven't actually blown anything up yet.
  7. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I'm more annoyed with the fact that it's probably going to be even worse to go through Heathrow than it was in May/June, which was a total mess. Thankfully I'm not changing planes this time at least, but I guess I'll have to count on an extra hour or two on the airport when I leave.
  8. MaraStardreamer Force Ghost

star 4
    I think all the fans that really want to be there and already bought their plane tickets and booked hotel rooms will come, but I'm concerned about the guests and stars who are supposed to attend the convention. Stars are pretty cowards sometimes about their security. It woudn't be a suprise to not show up. And how about the events where a lot of people will be gathered in the same place, like the London Simphony Orchestra concert? Maybe there are chances to cancel these events, to avoid large number of people in the same open place, for security reasons?
  9. Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod

star 6
    CE is relatively small compared to other events taking place in London this week and next weeks (Wimbledon, Tour de France). So I doubt they'll cancel CE after they decided to continue with the other, bigger, events..
  10. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I'd be more concerned about individual guest cancellations as opposed to the event being cancelled.
  11. MacCaffrey VIP

star 9
    As Johanna/Obi-Anne said leaving London would be quite time-consuming, but that's you can calculate with.

We will come to the CE nevertheless.

There are no rumours, that this event will be canceled or something similar?
  12. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I haven't heard anything. I mean, we have Wimbledon still going on and there hasn't been any mention of cancelling it. I am sure that will draw more crowds than CE. Also, the Diana concert is going on today at Wembley (it starts in a little while) and her two sons will be attending that. I think either event is a bit higher-profile than CE.
  13. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    I agree that the CE is a small event in comparison to other events and I don't think a terrorist focus' on a SW event. There are more important and more famous events they could use for their sickening way of expressing their wishes.

In Germany we hear lots about those bombs and honestly spoken I'm a bit worried. That's why I would like to know what tells the media (newspaper etc) in London? What is your (=people living in or close to London) personal opinion?

Still I like to come, but I would also like to hear your (=people of London) opinion. :)
  14. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I don't live in central London but I do live near another terrorist magnet - Heathrow Airport. I'm about 5 miles from there. I think it's far enough away to not be affected by an attack there - other than possible traffic jams and that type of disruption. If someone let a 'dirty bomb' off there that would be a different story. I've also lived here since 1989, so I have been around for various IRA bombings and scares.
    The fact that 5 people have been arrested so far is reassuring - assuming they are people involved or can lead to the people involved. (We know two were involved since they were in the Jeep at Glasgow Airport yesterday).
    Personally - I am not too worried. However, I will be aware of who and what is nearby and if I see anything suspicious I will let a policeman/woman know. That's about all you can do.
  15. JED1 Force Ghost

star 4
    A word to everyone coming to CE be they attendees, guests or whoever. Do not be put off, it will be safer in London and throughout the UK now and during CE than it was even last week. Because of the recent events Security has been increased and will continue to increase for the next few weeks particularly within the transport infrastructure and public events. Don't let the scum win! Carry on as normal and they won't!
  16. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I expected security to be high in London anyway since July is the anniversary month of the last bombing (July 7). This will add to it. Having said that - you can probably expect bag searches at the very least at ExCel. Those coming in costume might have problems with replica weapons and it might be worth checking with the venue if you haven't already.
  17. quigonjaf1961 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Also this weekend coming there is the biggest event on the Uk motorsports calender ie the British Grand Prix up at Silverstone thats not being cancelled because of these nutters or any of the other big events going on this month so neither should Celebration Europe i work in the City of London and i wasnt afraid to go into work on public transport and i for one my life will be business as usual,if we cancelled all of our events the things that give us pleasure in life and keep us going these absolute pieces of scum have won their sick victory,Please everybody come and enjoy yourselves,have a good time [face_peace] and stick two fingers up to these people dont let the veil of the dark side ruin our way of life dont let the sith rule!![:D]
  18. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    I only hope that some events are not cancelled, especially the LSO concert.

By cancelling things or not arriving there, we let the terrorists win.
  19. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    There will be armed police posted on the London Underground. Costumers, especially those with blasters etc, make sure they aren't visible if/when you're using the Tube.
  20. quigonjaf1961 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I will be changing there BTW what changing facilities are there ?
  21. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    At the Underground?? Basic mens toilets.
  22. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I think he meant at ExCel...
  23. quigonjaf1961 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yes i did BTW he is a she,i love the tip about mens toilets lol!!![face_laugh]
  24. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't think ExCel has changing facilities as such (Unless you are with one of the big costuming groups that is), again it'd be toilets, but I'll try and check that out. If not, there may be a chance one of the FF members can go back to their room in the nearby hotels and let u change there.
  25. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    [face_laugh] Sorry, I just assume everyone on the internet is a guy until proven otherwise [face_mischief]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.