main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Terrorism sucks.

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by frankm, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankm

frankm Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2005
    That is all I have to say.

2. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Hits hard for me....cause I love London and it's people! :(

3. Qui-Gon-Matt

Qui-Gon-Matt Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2005
    peices of crap! all of those terrorist cowards, they all are crap!

4. obi_dave_kenobi

obi_dave_kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Hate crimes suck!

5. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    The victims and their families will be in my thoughts today.

@};-

6. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Karen, Are you connecting thru Heathrow or Gatwick? Has there been any changes to your travel plans as a result of this?

7. Qui-Gon-Matt

Apr 20, 2005
    I just talked with my boss at the Airport, and we've been raised to Orange alert. Along with the rest of U.S. mass transit.

8. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    my friends sister and bro in law live in london, I need to give them a call and see if they are okay... this is horrible, I am so tired of this crap

9. propgeek1701

propgeek1701 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    A couple of observations...

These m&*%^@*#<'ers are just following their literal interpretation of what they read in the Qur'an.

I know that's not politically correct to say, but have you read the Qur'an? I don't mean that as a hate statement. I'm just observing a problem with the primary text of Islam. Americans need a better understanding of this issue.

I can give a succinct list of the surah's and verses that the terrorists themselves use for justification to anyone who's interested. I feel that should be done in PM or email.

That being said, the Tanach (Jewish Bible) could easily be twisted out of context to make terroristic statements. "Utterly destroy the Amalekites," and so on. The difference between the Tanach and the Qur'an is that the Qur'an does not have any readily discernible historical contexts for its sayings. It's just a collection of sayings attributed to Muhammed which are arranged from longest to shortest. There's no historical narrative to give the sayings a proper context, therefore the reader is left with a pretty universal interpretation of these terror passages. Add a cup of outrage, a pinch of hate and a teaspoon of literalistic fundamentalism and voila! You've got a terrorist.

I'm not advocating terrorism by any stretch. But I do advocate for a better-informed American public.

Hope this doesn't get me a vacation, but if it does, so be it. I just hope people will try to understand this clash of cultures a little better. Terrorism does indeed suck, FrankM. But people, let's not make the leap from "terrorism sucks" to "muslims suck." The vast majority of muslims hate what this is doing to their faith. It's much larger to them than what child molestation has done to the Catholic faith. If that gives you any context.

-propgeek

10. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Sad day :(

My thoughts are with all the victims & their families.

And these "people" (using this term is too good for them) really are only using religion as a mask for their hateful ways. Sad, that as a result, many peace-loving Muslims have to pay for their atrocities :mad:

11. Qui-Gon-Matt

Apr 20, 2005
    I totally agree Greg. It's not so much a Muslim thing as it is a terrorist thing. Most Muslims don't want us dead, but alot people think that all muslims are terrorists. It just comes from ignorance on the issue.

12. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    unfortunatly, religion has often been used for grounds of war way too long, its happened throughout history. be it hating one religion - the buddist and tibet/china situation. or it being using religion for the justification of destroying another culture - the witch trials (which destroyed entire towns) to todays terrorist.

13. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    And on that note....just by the responses that have been made just shows me......what a awesome diverse group we have here! We have something special here as our group goes! Keep up the good work and good thoughts! It is what separates us from other Fan Force groups!! Having this sympathy, empathy and knowledge in our group is what makes us what we are! I for one am honored to know you all! [face_flag]

VIVA MOS ALBA!!!

14. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    well, I checked on my other board where I know a lot of people in london. A friend of mine is freaking out - her flat mate was traveling by train to see his grandmother today and she can't get ahold of him. And another one of her good friends lives in the area the buses were...

15. obi_dave_kenobi

Sep 10, 2004
    Great point greg. It's really important to keep the act in mind and not target a specific culture to it. People need to put an emphasis on the value of life and not some BS political belief set up by their nations presidents or radical groups and their hateful interpretation of their religious text. No race or culture has more value than any other in the world.

16. karenec1

karenec1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    I love London and the cowards need to pay.

However, I am connecting in Newark, NJ straight to Glasgow. We try to avoid flying into London since the last time we were there, the IRA lobbed some grenades on the tarmack at Hethrow and we were re-routed to Gatwick. PITA.

I have cousins that live there and they are all safe and have reported in.

17. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Very good to hear! I hope your visit goes well and all will be safe!

18. karenec1

May 16, 2005
    Thanks, Jess. I am really excited to go. Hopefully all the nonsense in London and Edinburgh (G8 Conference) will be done and over and we can enjoy our stay. I will definately try to check in while I am over there.

19. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    2nd what gecko said, glad your family is safe...

20. karenec1

May 16, 2005
    There is a "Thoughts and Prayers" thread going at the London UK FF Board. Here is the thread.

21. jango_junkie

jango_junkie Jedi Master star 3

Apr 3, 2005
    I don't like this whole thing, it is bad that these people keep doing junk like this in London and all over the rest of the world. When will they stop?

22. obi_dave_kenobi

Sep 10, 2004
    Sadly never, it's gone on for centuries and will continue, Some humans are just evil.

23. frankm

frankm Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2005
    If anybody has the desire, here is the link to donate to the British Red Cross.

http://www.redcross.org.uk/standard.asp?id=40287

24. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    You can not hate something without fearing it and you only fear what you do not take the time to learn about. Teaching this fear to generation after generation does not create strength; it creates weakness and with weakness comes death. Our world will not continue to grow if we continue this cycle. It will die over and over again untill there is nothing left for us to hold onto or to love. We will destroy our world and at the same time destroy ourselves. We will leave our children nothing if we can not teach them to love themselves and to those around us. If we segregate ourselves into small groups (race, religion, class, etc) we also close out anything that would make us stronger. Our weaknesses will grow and we will defeat ourselves...

25. propgeek1701

propgeek1701 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    "Some humans are just evil."

I agree with that thought philosophically, but with a proviso. I believe there are relatively few humans who are so evil that they're beyond redemption. Isn't that what Episode 6 was about? Even Vader found redemption at the very end. I've come to believe (contrary to my conservative Christian upbringing) that there is at least a little bit of good in the worst of us (terrorists included) and at least a little bit of bad in the best of us (even Mother Teresa or Billy Graham). Ooh, did I just speak heresy?

Varza, I think you hit a major nail on the head. When we focus on the differences... hate, intolerance, and evil abound. When we focus on the similarities... love, compassion, and understanding abound. I was raised in one of those exclusivist religious traditions, and I've grown to regret the hate and intolerance I've spewed in the name of Truth. I've come to believe that truth and love have got to be in balance with each other. It's like salt: NaCl. Truth by itself is like chlorine... it will kill everything in its path with total indifference (like fundamentalist terrorism). Love by itself is like sodium... it will embrace and react with almost anything, good, bad, or indifferent (like the naive and giddy peaceniks). Truth and Love together balance each other out so that evil is rejected and good embraced, and tolerance gives the flexibility needed to allow evil to turn to good.

That's how I see Luke in Episode VI. He is in balance within himself, and exercises the tolerance to allow his evil father to turn back to good, even to the point of self-sacrifice. And it worked! I think it really does work that way in real life, too. Lucas taps into these profound themes very effectively, as I see it.

OK, I'll shut up. (for copies of this message, send $5 to Bro. propgeek ministries). Thanks for your tolerance as I wax philosophical!

-propgeek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.