main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Terrorist tragedy

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kitt327, Sep 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    This is some of the worst news I've ever woken up to. My prayers are with the families.

2. DarthMassive

DarthMassive Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2001
    Unbelieveable!A totally cowardly and unforgivable act.

3. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I've been watching since about 7am this morning, the president is about to make his speech. I'm fairly disgusted to stay the least and saddened by what i'm watching.

4. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i thought it was some sorta joke when my flatmates woke me up around 7am this morning, wish it was though..spent the next 5 hours or so watching tv, kinda weird to see peter jennings, from abc news at sucha fluster, no autocue, nothing, just saying whatever came into his mind.....

i hope our government actually tries to do something about this, not just some meaningless words, its time to take a stand IMO, you can't just mouth platitudes, like tony blair said, we should destroy whoever has done this

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    >> i hope our government actually tries to do something about this, not just some meaningless words, its time to take a stand IMO, you can't just mouth platitudes, like tony blair said, we should destroy whoever has done this <<

Well before the perpetrators are "destroyed", perhaps they should first be identified.

Personally I'd rather see those behind the attacks brought to justice, rather than blanket military strikes bringing the world to the brink of war.

And don't forget the finger was pointed squarely at the Middle East when the Oklahoma bombing took place. And we all know who was responsible for that. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that this too, was a domestic strike.

6. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Yeah, they've been pointing the finger at Afghastistan all day, I even heard one news station announce that the Northern Alliance had claimed responsibility.

Personally, I don't think any Middle Eastern country would dare attack the US.

7. farmboynz

farmboynz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2001
    I thought it was a joke too when i woke up and heard it on the radio, that was until i turned on the TV.

It is a very sad day....

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    >> I don't think any Middle Eastern country...

No, it's inconceivable that a "country" per say is responsible for this.

Much more likey to be some sort of extremist group (not necessarily Middle Eastern either).

If a country bears the brunt of US retaliation simply because a non-governmental organisation within their borders is responsible, it will be a very sad day for justice.

9. RogueJedi

RogueJedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2001
    I just want to say, that all our prayers are with all that were lost, and their familys.

This is a tradgedy....
    A very Dark day....

10. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    My sister was in america she arrived in LA yesterday but my mum was up at 2am ****ing herself cause two of the planes where missing

Its pretty sad people killing people to make there piont and my apologyies go to all the familys.

I dont think they will be able to find the people due to total lack of info.

11. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    That's terrible Ace, I hope she's okay.

I'm confidence they'll track down those responsible, but they may all be dead.

BTW, edit the swearing.

12. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    Shes ok she couldnt go to disneyland today.

I am sorry about the swearing its sorta made me angry and i aplogize if i have offeneded anyone with my language.

13. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    would be a freaky time for any tourist in america i think, in a strange country, the people angry and upset, blaming foreigners......

what i said earlier, of course the perpetrators need to be found before anything is done, and then they need to be destroyed, whether internal or external, in my opinion there is no possible defence to this, whether it be Allah or defence of a particular interpretation of the Constitution or whatever, i sincerely doubt all the people responsible are now dead, and i hope they are not, the world needs someone to pay, to be a scapegoat

14. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    My condolences go to the American people who have suffered in this horrific incident

Kind Regards
    Jedidaniel

15. Norrad_Roff

Norrad_Roff Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2001
    I was deeply moved by what I saw on TV. It was so surreal at first. It looked like a "what if" documentary at first until reality sunk in. Our thoughts are with the victims and their families. They are not alone. For those that were lost, we will remember them.

<copy of email received yesterday>

"In the City of God there will be a great thunder, Two Brothers torn apart
    by Chaos, while the fortress endures, the great leader will succumb. The
    third big war will begin when the big city is burning"
    -Nostradamus, 1654

16. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    Its terrible, I still cant quite beleive it.

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    http://www.snopes2.com/inboxer/hoaxes/predict.htm

Nostradamus did not write the quatrain now being attributed to him. (One wonders how a guy who died in 1566 could have written an item identified as being penned in 1654 anyway.) It originated with a student at Brock University in Canada in the 1990s, appearing on a web page essay on Nostradamus. That particular quatrain was offered by the page's author, Neil Marshall, as a fabricated example to illustrate how easily an important-sounding prophecy can be crafted through the use of abstract imagery. He pointed out how the terms he used were so deliberately vague they could be interpreted to fit any number of cataclysmic events.

It appears someone mistook Marshall's illustrative example for an actual Nostradamus prophecy and, not content to let well enough alone, added "The third big war will begin when the big city is burning." A fabrication was thus further fabricated.

18. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I don't agree with it anyway, regardless of who wrote it. Still riveted to the news though, it's still hard to believe in some ways. I guess when you watch movies that have stuff like this in them you build up a resistence that says it's all just pretend then it happens for real and it's a bit of a shock.

19. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    well I've never heard New York called the City of God, and two brothers weren't torn apart by chaos, two towers were destroyed in a calculated and planned attack. The city did not burn, and I don't think there will be a war.

Besides, Nostradamus reckoned the world was going to end about 10 years ago.

20. Norrad_Roff

Feb 26, 2001
    The reason I posted that "copy of email" was to see if anyone could shed some light on it. I thought it was dodgey about an hour after I posted it.

Thanks jp-30 I've checked out www.snopes2.com and forwarded the link to the 12 (yes 12) people that sent me the bogus prophecy.

The footage on telly still freaks me out.

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Yes. Neil Marshall is the new Nostradamus! All heil the great prophet.

I find it beautifully ironic that a gobbledegook quatrain, written in the 1990's, used to illustrate how vague Nostro's were has been bandied about as one of his prophesies that ahem "foretold" the NY atack.

I *love* showing people who send annoying emails that they're forwarding an urban legend.

22. Norrad_Roff

Feb 26, 2001
  23. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    ahh, thanks for getting that link jp..i've had people, my flatmate being #1 quoting that ad nauseum, and it pisses me off bigtime, its worse than the zodiac IMO

24. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    > I *love* showing people who send annoying emails that they're forwarding an urban legend.

It's even more fun reading forwarded emails about the latest Windows virus when you happily staring at a Apple Mac monitor. :D

25. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    freaky thing happened, i wanted to print those pages out last night, to show to my flatmate who kept on talking about the prediction, but, after 4 attempts i had to give up.........i tried on several different printers, each time it said it was processing the job, and it billed me, then nothing happened, i thought it was the printers, but half way through i printed the wrong web page by mistake, and it came out fine...............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.