main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Terr's Interesting Map Thread (Image Heavy)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Terr_Mys, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Nah not Nationwide. Gillette is everywhere. Dunkin Donuts I'd never even seen until I went to MA. That's nowhere to be seen basically a ways past the east coast.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's true I'm biased as a native Mass resident, but the way it's advertised here you'd think there was a cup of Dunkin coffee from here to the Serengeti. :p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Plus, Gillette is worldwide. Admittedly, I've heard of Dunkin Donuts, but that's through movies. Whereas any convenience store has Gillette razors.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Here in RI, there's like 3 Dunkin Donuts per square mile, I've even seen 2 on the same block a couple of times here :p

5. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Oh good, West Virginia's best-known brand sells cardboard pizzas. I feel so proud.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    You think that's bad? California's best-known brand sells Apple products.

solojones likes this.
  7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I'm still wondering about the regional divisions map. What in particular divides the Tidewater from the rest of the South? Speaking historically, anyway, the sort of oligarchic power wielded by families like the Randolphs and Byrnes was more or less identical to those seen in the Deep South. Not the least because they were all intentionally modeled on the same plantation economy and supporting societal structure.

8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

I didn't realize countries other than Germany and Austria used the comma as the decimal mark.

That's weird, wild stuff.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'd like to make an argument that our real best known brand is Google, though.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah I'm guessing the map is a couple of years old.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    According to some article I read, it's from the distant past of TWO THOUSAND TWELVE. Must have been made by a prehistoric man.
    [​IMG]

timmoishere likes this.
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  14. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
  15. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    The two people with "lax concept of geography" actually got the shape pretty accurate considering it's from memory.

16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Click on the map to make it larger. It certainly illustrates some of the issues in the Caucasus (Abkhazia and South Ossetia wanting to split off of Georgia/Armenia and Azerbaijan's issues with each other/Chechnya and Dagestan wanting to split off of Russia)

[​IMG]

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why? A lot of their jibes were stupid. For instance, the first one is pretty clearly trying to show Alaska as a separate, inset map, not a land-locked island in Canada with a square freshwater moat. Worse still, what was with the derision directed at the Four Corners? It's a well known geographic area, and no one ever claimed that they were supposed to be drawing a political map of the US.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    For the sake of esprit de corps with the mother with a Ph.D. that they mock, I, as a Ph.D. student, have attempted a similar venture. I present here a map of the United States, drawn purely from my memory:

[​IMG]

So, I dunno, I think she did pretty well, considering.

19. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A set of maps for what the world would like if the polar ice sheets all melted

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I see that Florida might go away entirely. Those people will have to move to other parts of the country.

GLOBAL WARMING MUST BE STOPPED! [face_worried][face_nail_biting]

Ramza likes this.
  22. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    This map series is fun, although I can identify a few problems with their Boston map:

[​IMG]

1) East Boston is primarily Spanish-speaking, so the Portuguese doesn't make much sense there. Boston's sizable Portuguese and Brazilian communities are concentrated in other neighborhoods, especially East Cambridge and East Somerville.

2) The large portion of Boston proper that extends to the south of this map is excluded, meaning that neighborhoods like Jamaica Plain and Dorchester are unfortunately left out. Similarly, Somerville to the north is an integral part of the urban core but is also excluded.

3) "Bahstin Cahmin" is an incredibly poor phonetic approximation of the local pronunciation (unless it were spelled Barston Carmon!) If anything, "Bawston Cawmon" might evoke a more accurate vowel sound for most Americans, although it would bring to mind a higher/more closed vowel for most people living between Providence and Baltimore, or outside North America. The International Phonetic Alphabet would be helpful here.

4) "End of [the] Freedom [trail]" is all they could come up with for Charlestown? Lame.

5) The Departed reference for South Boston is also pretty stupid, as most Bostonians don't really associate Southie with the movies that exaggerate its long-faded "rough" image... something about gentrification would have been much more accurate.

23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Eh, Dorchester and JP are no more a part of Boston than Quincy, which is also excluded. But yeah, agreed about Southie. Then again, most stereotypes about cities are way outdated.

But lol at the NY one, especially "HOW-ston". Though why Pier 17 is labelled "tourists" over the entire borough Times Square is beyond me.

24. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    In what sense do you mean? JP and Dorchester are both neighborhoods within the city of Boston, while Quincy is a separate city. If you're gonna include the city of Cambridge, it would be nice to at least include JP and Dot - they're not that far removed from downtown Boston. Now, I won't go so far as to insist on including Hyde Park and West Roxbury... :p

I guess I'm mostly just disappointed I didn't get to see the funny descriptions they could've come up with for JP. :(

25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Oops, I meant to say Brookline, which is basically an extension of Boston. Besides, I doubt anyone outside of Mass even knows what Dorchester and JP are. Southie has notoriety because of movies and such, while Cambridge has two of the most famous colleges in the country.

I think the lesson we can extrapolate from this is that the person who made these maps is just going for some cheap ****s and giggles, and only knows some basic stuff about those cities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.