main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Terry Pratchett

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by TC-47, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I just recently started getting into Terry Pratchett. The first book of his I read was Small Gods, which I think was a perfect choice for a constant questioner of religion like myself and forced me to seek out more of his books. I just finished Equal Rites a little while ago, which I also enjoyed (if perhaps a tiny bit less). Any recommendations for the order in which I should read other books of his? I've heard the first couple of books in the series aren't as well-developed as satire as the later ones are.

I didn't know he'd been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. That is very sad news.

2. DarthVetinari

DarthVetinari Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2009
    It is true that some of the earlier ones aren't as well developed but they are still worth reading.
    I suppose you don't really have to read the books in any particular order as most are stand-alones. However there is a definite sense that they are set over a number of years as many of the characters are older in later books and developments from earlier books can have an impact on later ones. I think publishing order is also chronological order so it might be interesting to read them that way. Also certain characters have their own storyarcs throughout the series, e.g the Watch and the Witches, so you could read the books about one group of charcters and then move on to another group.

Whichever way to decide to dive into the amazing world of the wonderful Terry Pratchett I hope you enjoy it:D .

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    For someone getting started, would you recommend chronological order or in the groups?

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I've recently read most of the Watch books in a group, and I think it works well that way. The character arcs are usually quite self contained, so there's less jumping around from character to character as you would expect from the chronological order. The wizards usually show up, but as side characters.

I'd suggest Guards! Guards!.

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    As a starting place or just in general?

6. TheModFavorite

TheModFavorite Jedi Master star 4

Sep 14, 2007
    i've been reading them in chronological order, for the most part. it gives me a chance to take a break from one group of characters and read about someone else, then when it gets back to the original group, they seem a lot "fresher" than they would have had i read the books containing them.

and i do have to agree, the satire isn't as strong in the earlier books, but it's still there and still well done.

7. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Either. It introduces the Watch, who along with Death are probably the most popular characters in Discworld. It also doesn't reference any of the earlier books in any meaningful way. It's also regarded as one of the best books in the series.

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks!! I'll probably wait until this summer to get started, though, since they're short and it's a long walk to the library in my college town :p

9. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Just wondering if anyone else read Nation? Not a Discworld book, and a little different in tone and execution to his other novels, but I thought it was fantastic -- loved the story and the characters, and the exploration of its themes of identity and belonging was handled with a deft touch, even for Pratchett. I thought it was an interesting setting, very close to but slightly apart from a historical setting.

10. DarthVetinari

DarthVetinari Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2009
    I really enjoyed Nation. I love how Pratchett is able to take quite complex themes and make them easily accesible for readers of all ages and I really like how this book dealt with things, like the whole religion issue, which aren't usually found in YA novels. He also has a very good understanding of young teenagers, especially girls which is surprising for a middle-aged male author, and a lot of the themes in Nation are things that teenagers struggle with (identity, self-reliance etc), but he was able to write about them without seeming patronising and without forcing his opinion on the reader.

Most of all though, he was able to write something of a teenage love-story, between two people who are completely different, without resorting to mush and angst!! I really really wish more teenagers would read books like this. They would then be able to see what good writing actually looks like (or reads like[face_thinking] ).

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Unlocking.

12. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Excellent. i was just moaning about a lack of Pratchett thread yesterday. Good job. Anyone catch the latest, "I Shall Wear midnite"? it's supposed to be one of the Young Reader disc world novels but I quite liked it and love the new set of characters in introduced.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, I love the Nac Mac Feegle. The saddest thing about I Shall Wear Midnight is you can tell it's the end of these stories, characters exit, fates are set and then... it's done. And in the background Rob Anybody nicks The End letters!

14. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    I discovered Pratchett last year and have been devouring his books. I've been reading them in order ( Mort and Eric are the only two that I've read out of order ) and am currently on Guards! Guards!

Pyramids has been my favorite so far. The two I've read featuring the Witches ( Equal Rites and Wyrd Sisters ) have been my least favorite.

I'm delighted that I discovered this author. There are laughs on every page - possibly funnier than Douglas Adams ( and I never thought I would say that! )

15. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    Hopefully we can see the Nac McFeegles in another story arc. Just a way too awesome set of characters. And you never know, the beloved young witch may crop up somewhere along with 'em

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well let's hope you're right, I just wonder how many books Terry has in him that he'll be able to get out.

17. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    something tells me he's got material around sitting.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh I'm sure there's all manner of ideas lying around but it still has to be drawn into a story and Pratchett's style can't be duplicated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.