main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TESB Chapter 25: The Emperor's Message DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the PT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss TESB chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: The Empire Strikes Back and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 25: The Emperor?s Message
    DISCUSSION: October 18, 2005 ? October 22, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 52:14 ? 54:16

Synopsis:
    Executor is still in asteroid space. Piett tells Vader that the Emperor commands for him to speak. Vader wants the ship moved out of the field to send a clear transmission. Vader kneels before Palpatine. Palpatine says that there is a threat, Luke Skywalker, the rebel who destroyed the Death Star. Vader says Obi-Wan cannot help him, however suggests that he would be better alive than dead. Palpatine agrees. Vader kneels saying that Luke will join them or die. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    Back to the Star Destroyer, we get our first lesson in Sith 101 theatrically. We meet the Emperor at last, somebody we have heard about in the first film, but have really no concept up to this point. Now chronologically that?s completely different. Up to this point, the Emperor doesn?t sound that bad.

But he?s bad. He?s the Tyson of GFFA, somebody who likes to hail himself as the baddest man in the universe. Like the scene in Jedi, this is quite crucial and quite the scene of manipulation. Vader has wanted to overthrow Palpatine since ROTS and Palpatine has wanted a better apprentice.

Luke is definitely the key and if he were turned, he would have been torn between two evils. I like Vader?s suggestion of turning him. This proves that Vader was not going to kill Luke at Bespin, but push him to the limit and bring out the hate and anger.

The new change from the 04 DVD?s of McDiarmid replacing Revill is a wise move. Monkey-woman is not scary at all and this Palpatine is consistent with the other four films he?s in. He reminds me too much of ROTS Palpatine tweaked a little. Good chapter.

2. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Again, one of the very few chapters in this movie that I like, and that's only because of the DVDs now that the hideous monkey-woman was finally replaced by the only man who can play Sidious correctly.

Something about the scene I find funny though, is how Vader wants a clear transmission so he moves the Star Destroyer, yet the hologram is still fuzzy and jumpy. I wonder how many Imperials lost their lives because of that.

3. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    One of the few changes that was needed for the SE.
    I can live with the new dialogue aswell.

Great scene, Palps appearance is very much ROTS though and Vader's mask colour is reversed for some reason?

Overall the dialogue and scene fitted in nicely with the story.

4. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    The main reason I bought the DVD's. And I liked it. Nice consistency in the scheme of things. Visually well rendered. Despite the fuzzy nature of the transmission. Maybe a rogue asteriod hit the sattelite dish? Who knows? The additional dialog was well done too. On the whole a fine scene. This is considering the anticipation I had for it. It was the first thing I watched.

5. KudarMubat15

KudarMubat15 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2005
    This was a great change. I agree, it was a wise move. Probably one of the best changes to the Original Trilogy.

Great scene, Palps appearance is very much ROTS though and Vader's mask colour is reversed for some reason?

What are you talking about?:confused:

6. ulien

ulien Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2005
    It was the best change on DVD!

7. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005

o_O

I'm being observant! Watch it again. Palpatine does not look like he does in ROTJ does he? Ian has filmed the scene with the ROTS make up/mask on. Which for fussy people like me, makes it inconsistant even though I praised the scene as it's much better.

And Vader's mask always has a gunmetal grey section in his left cheek structure. In the hologram scene it's on the right side. So the paint scheme is incorrect!

I'm not massively bothered, thought i'd mention it.

8. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). TESB Chapter 26: Yoda's Hut DISCUSSION will be made available 4:55 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

9. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    I know I am late, but i wanted to comment.
    This is a great scene. You finally see the Emperor, and get a real feeling for his
    importance, and his relationship with Vader.

"What is thy bidding my master"
    Its like, wait a minute, Vader is kneeling and subserviant to this guy???

Great Stuff...

Now, the new dialogue and changes id like to comment on.

I always felt originally, that the reason the Emperor felt the disturbance in the Force was because Luke was on Degobagh, with Yoda. The Emperor, felt this, and relaixed the child of skywalker is being trained.

Now, the new dialogue, seems to change that a little. It seems now that they are both aware of Skywalker, and his force abilities...and they both have there own agenda for him...

Given the Saga, this new dialogue works out very well...
    i dont think it was necessary, but it is acceptable.
    I am not a big fan of the "look" of the ROTS Palpatine here. I think it looks a little to fake (both in ROTS and here in ESB)
    but, it does fit in better with the Saga, as this Palp, clearly is much more consistent with the Palpy in other films

Good Scene, i love any and all Vader/Emperor Scenes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.