main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Test in 3D Rendering

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Corrin_Wyndryder, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    This is just a test of to see what I can do with my new program "Terragen" Everything you see in this picture is digitally rendered. NOTHING is taken from real life.

Here it is.

Special thanks to Olivier Couston (Dr.Jones), Jose Gonzalez Pareja, George Mezori (ZOO), Troy L Edelmayer (Kyprus), and Bradley Bristow-Stagg (shaderWolf),
    for the Lambda Shuttle model.

(Just making sure credit is given where credit is due.)

2. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    nice image!

3. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    very cool! :)

4. diabloblanco17

diabloblanco17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    That looks great. One thing I would suggest is to point the shuttle up or down and add a touch of motion blur, to make it look like it's either coming in for a landing, or heading for space.

5. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Terragen is a great "Photorealistic" landscape generator program. I've seen what it's capable of doing. Unfortunately, it's got it's drawbacks, but they can be worked around.

For example. It doesn't generate 3D models, just pictures. But those pictures can be used for composite shots. (Like I did) Also, you can animate it, but all it does is render out a BMP for each frame that you have to put together yourself. (A pain, but can be worth it)

(Happy Birthday to me, Dec 20)

6. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Where did you get Terragen? And how much did it cost?

7. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    it's still in testing, the download was free, but to regester it costs about $80 and less for students.

Here's the link.

I came across this program while using the Tutorial's forum at this link "Making of Bridge to Avalon" by Drago Jieanu in the Project Overviews section of the Tutorials page.

8. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    I've never worked on any Lambda shuttle

9. tekmaster

tekmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2003
    Au Contraire, Corrin Wyndryder, Terragen can export 3D models. You have to get a plugin called For Export Only.

10. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Sorry then Dr. Jones. But your name was listed beside the downloadable model on the SciFi3D page, so I named it... (Just to be on the safe side.) Go see for yourself.

EDIT: And I'm looking into that plugin as I type this.

11. _Mike_

_Mike_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2002
    How did you add in the shutttle? With terragen? Or did you photoshop it in or something? *wants to know how to do that, loves terragen*

12. drippyzeo

drippyzeo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Can't speak for other 3D packages, but the process for Blender is pretty straightforward.

1. Create your terrain in Terragen.
    2. Export the terrain to Blender.
    3. Set up your camera, either in Terragen or in Blender.
    4. Set up the other elements in the scene.
    5. Render the scene in Blender, using the Terragen animation as a background.

That's basically how I created Tally Two.

13. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    1 I rendered out the Lamdba Shuttle in 3DS Max with a RGB Green 255 (greenscreen) environment background. I tried to match the lighting.

2 Then I rendered out a single frame from Terragen,

3 I composited it in Photoshop, used a cyan lightsaber glow effect for the engines.

4 Then I used a few blurs and opacity changes to make the reflection.

As of yet, Teragen does not offer the option of exporting to 3DS Max.

EDIT: And that video is really cool and all, but it brings up a point that I have to work on. LIGHTING. The lighting on the ships should match the lighting in the scene, and I know that's not easy to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.