main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Test your fake British or American accent

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    People can do it, and do it to the point where you don't know they're not American at first (sup, the cast of the Wire). I don't actually know of anyone who can do a good Australian accent. And even when you try British it's not always that good (looks pointedly at Peter Dinklage).

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think those Europeans on the Iberian Peninsula can roll their RRs

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    We'll see.

I was too lazy and uncaring to actually come up with a bet, I know. But just tell me, was it better or worse than you thought it would be? I'm curious.

Also, lol, well I sound exactly like my mom, who is 59. So I'm not surprised I sound old. I just have a deep voice. It's actually higher when doing the Scottish accent than it is with my natural accent.

Diggy likes this.
  4. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    I do a great Australian accent, mate.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Even if you did, or thought you did, I can confirm without hearing it, it's terrible.

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It was good, Ms. Barry White!

solojones likes this.
  7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I figured out Dominick West was British in his very first scene of The Wire. My brother said he had no idea. In fairness, his accent is good enough to fool the majority of Americans, though. Most Americans aren't linguistics nerds. But to me the dead giveaway is usually the way they mess up the "ing" phoneme. It comes out like "any-theen" when general American has a sort of swallowed g on the end.

I will say the only actor who's ever fooled me with his American accent is Idris Elba. Although he does an African American accent, with its southern twinges, which makes it a little easier. He's the only one I didn't know was not American just from listening.

Shoutout also to John Boyega. His American accent is general American in the PT, not any AAVE at all, and it's stunningly good. The only reason I wasn't fooled is because I'd already seen Attack the Block. Otherwise, he'd be probably the first actor whose general American accent I didn't see through.

8. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Sure it's terrible, it's Australian.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That's one more person than can do a credible Australian though.

And more to the point it's you.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Crikey!

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Strain accent.

12. a star war

May 4, 2016
    I think you underestimate me. I've seen two Crocodile Dundees.

Darth Punk likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    *Strayan.

jp-30 likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Can we set up a communal soundcloud?

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    That seems like too many syllables to actually say, though. I like people who pronounce a word that is written "Australian" as one syllable. It's so creatively lazy.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's 110% "Strayan", but you're American so you ought confidently tell us what the answer is. :p

Also, would be keen to hear which of the Strayans on this board have which accents. @LostOnHoth, um, @Other Aussies.

jp-30 likes this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    @epic does a terrible Aussie accent.

Ender Sai likes this.
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well to be honest I'd never seen it spelled out. I didn't know they did it phonetically. I just imagined it as "strain" because I read that in a Strayan accent, and then they sound the same.

My point is, it's a lovely, ridiculous accent. Luke from Australian Survivor is my favorite example.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's not, it's awful. You need to be surrounded by people who sound like recovering stroke victims when they speak.

What am I saying, you're in the US, you should know my pain.

EDIT: As this video proves it's best served as a punchline. I'd caution for swearing but none of the words used are swears in Australia.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh, I find it to be a pretty unattractive accent and would probably be annoyed being around it a lot. And yes I get what you mean. My southern Missouri branch of the family has the typical southern hick accent. I basically see broad Australian accents as this, but Britishy.

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I sound like this. Ender and Jello (and 3 or 4 that were in tinychat that one time) can attest.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    How can Graham not understand him? I find Kiwis perfectly easy to understand. Easier than Aussies with broad accents. So strange.

Almost didn't see this bit. Thanks for the compliment. Being an actor is terrible, but I actually have harbored a dream of doing some voice acing at some point.

Darth Punk likes this.
  23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    He understands, he's just mocking it. He works with a NZ wine company to make a signature Sav Blanc, so he's completely familiar with our way of speaking.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I guarantee Norton knows what a chilly bin is.

25. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    The results of my test using my normal accent are too embarrassing to disclose.

Worst fake Strayan accent is Elizabeth Moss in Top of the Lake series. Great actor, terrible fake accent.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.