main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Testing the (Running) Water

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    So, I am pretty sure I am doing this tomorrow. If it rains, I will bail-- but I did a 10k in Iroqouis 2 years ago and I have some toys I don't need. I think I can do this.

2. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Marc Weinburg said it will not rain tonight. Looks like I am locked in for this one.
    Anyone else?
    Appo?
    Mika?
    11?
    Twisty? =((

3. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Sounds good. See you there.

4. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    Sorry guys I missed the boat on this one slept right through (can I blame it on the rain or at least I think it was raining)=((

5. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Not sure how you missed it Appo,as it is happening tonight at 6:30. Or maybe you are a future sleeper?

Shoot-- I think even in your sleep you could run laps around me at a 5k.

6. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Just don't make me look too bad tonight Jammies :)

7. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Pffftttttttttt....................

Whatever. You have better times then I do buddy-- and I had to work through lunch so I will be starving for energy, instead of energetic.
    It's Appo that runs the 5 minute mile.

8. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    That was a really fun run. Weather really cooperated, cloudy, about 80 degrees and a nice breeze. Very low key event, no Tshirts, not even race numbers. About 250 runners from what I overheard and bags and bags full of toys for the the kids and around $1700? in cash raised.

My ignorance of the race course actually helped me. I would see a hill coming up and think "okay, that's the last hill, keep running, don't walk, just get through it and it will be over, all downhill from here, no way there are any more hills, just push through it" and then I would find out there was another hill after that, and after that and repeat. Just when I would think that was the last hill there would be another one. So I'm proud I never stopped jogging and my unofficial time was 33:25 which I'm really happy with.

The next race on my agenda is the Gaslight 5K. Like this race it's an evening race (Appo) during the week. It's the race that traditionally closed out my "running season" but with global warming last year I ran later in the year. This race always has a nice long sleeved race shirt and since it's not a charity event and is part of a festival there's usually an adult beverage tent set up. The last two years I got a cold frosty one after the race and it's soo good after a run.
    http://www.pacersandracers.com/entry_forms/2013-gaslight-festival-5k.pdf

9. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    Sorry I couldn't make it. @ straight weeks of one of the kids having nightmares and keeping me awake has taken a toll on my sleep schedule and my sanity. I crashed as soon as I got off work last night.

10. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Twisty, we honestly didn't think you were up to running mang. But do, at least, come to book club in October for Crystal Star! This is our book my Nerfhurder!
    Nightmares? Ugg, so sorry. For you and the youngling. But: I know that you and Brandi give them good stability and love. I still have my GlowWorm (anyone else have one?), that worked for me. I can loan it out.

@ Appo-- man, we would have loved to have seen you bro. I just want to see you kick out butts.

The Marines did raise over 1700, and over 200 toys. I am happy with my run too. Having run the course as a 10k and as an 8k-- I knew to hate that hill, and I did walk around the 1.5 mile mark-- then launched off when I hit the summit. My unofficial time was like, 36 and some change. I was on pace for ten minute miles, which is my goal, but meh. I had fun and some kids will be playing with star wars toys.

Gaslight looks like fun. Thanks Mika!

11. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Duh boy do I feel dumb, Guess that's what I get for not paying attention what time of day it's going on. Although most races I've been to are alway in the morning. I'll have to check out the link and get back with you all.

12. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Hey that looks do able on the 17th of Sep at 19:00/7:00 pm.

13. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I gave blood yesterday so if I do poorly at the Gaslight I'm gonna blame it on that. It has nothing to do with the fact it's been so hot lately I've been doing more walking that running lately :)

After the Gaslight the wife and I are looking at the "Bark in the Park" Saturday Sept 28. There is a 5K run (as well as a walk) which I confirmed with the staff but it's not advertised real well. I suspect other parts of this animal centric festival are more of a priority to them than the run. But it's close to where we live so we thought we'd give it a try and we're both animal lovers (we won't be bringing our dog though).

http://www.animalcaresociety.org/bark-in-the-park-september-28-2013

14. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Sorry about the Bark in the park run it's our anniversary and I think we'll be out of town.

15. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Mika, Jammies you all still doing the Gaslight on the 17th? I'll be there for sure.

16. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Crap that is tomorrow isn't it!

17. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yup, was just going to post on it. The wife will be joining me for the gaslight run and the weather is looking good. I'm still really slow though so this will be a no pressure fun run for me.

18. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Cool then we can alway have fun while running. I just want the T-shirt anyway.

19. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Good run last night, Appo, Mrs jedimika and me had a good time. Race conditions were good, about 80 degrees and cloudy. I got passed a lot, especially in the first mile, but kept an even pace and made it in 31:27 unofficially. Appo was several minutes ahead of me. Appo kept the wife and I company while we had a cold adult beverage at the end of the race and we even talked a little "Crystal Star".

20. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Cool, that is a better time then our last race- good job!
    GLORY TO WARU!
    ALL HAIL WARU!

21. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Yea!
    It's always good to do things with good people that share a common interest (WARU???, HA, HA,HA) Yes, CP I've finished the Crystal Stay and now know what your talking about Captain Jammies (CP). Maybe even some future races were talked about for those who didn't get a chance to come to this one. Thanks again MIKA and Sara for the company...

22. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Sweetness! So, for "Waru Talk" we have me, Mika, Appo, Zannah, Twisty, and we still got a few weeks to go. Awesome!

Future races sound good. Couldn't make it out to this one, but it seems the weather will be nice for running for a while.

23. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Yes CJ the best time of the year imho is now till it really gets cold. Too bad you couldn't make it as we missed your company..

Careful or soon we'll all be saying

"All hail WARU save me, save me, yeah, yeah, yeah... "

24. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Official race times are up Appo http://www.pacersandracers.com/results.htm
    They were generous and gave me about 10 seconds but I still finished in the bottom third of my age bracket (which is where I usually am).

25. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Thanks Mika
    We all did great overall out of 500+ runners. I finished in my usual area also about the middle of the pack. But not bad for not having run a race in a couple of years. We definitely need to do this again.