Testing the (Running) Water

Discussion in 'Louisville, KY' started by jedimika, Apr 25, 2013.

1. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Bump. The wife and I are still planning on running Saturday at "Bark in the Park". I'm a little worried I haven't seen the run posted on any of the running calendars we have. If the wife wouldn't have seen the flyer at the Vet's we wouldn't know about it. Like I said above I think they're probably more focused on other activities at their little shindig but since it's close to us it wouldn't be a big deal if it craps out.
  2. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Interesting run this morning. The wife and I did the Bark in the Park. There was a 5K but very few pure runners came out, maybe 20-25...most everyone was there with their dogs for the walk. Lots and lots of dogs, very cute. The runners went first and they did time the race but there were so few runners and I'm so slow I lost sight of them and almost got lost once and some people (including the wife) DID get lost before they turned back around. So I ran about 32:10 which was pretty good since Seneca Park has a big hill and a incline up back. They had a lot of nice vendors set up and lots of animal rescue groups so if you're an animal lover this might be an event (even if you don't race) to consider for next year.

Now I need to look at the race calendar and see if there's another coming up I can make.
    Last edited by jedimika, Sep 28, 2013
  3. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Appo brought this race to my attention and it will probably be the next one the wife and I do (she's off that weekend), Saturday Oct 26 is the Home Run 5K/10K at Bernhiem Forest.
    http://homerunforkids.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1057173#
    We're planning to do the 5K. There's a price break if you preregister but we're gonna wait until the day of like we usually do just to make sure the weather's good and we're feeling good.
  4. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    Interesting.
    So where abouts is the Forest?
  5. Commander APPO Jedi Master

star 1
    South of Louisville at the Clermont/Bardstown exit (I think) it's about 30 minutes south of our place. Real nice run I've done it several times (not in the last few years) has a great combination of flat, rolling and hills.
  6. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Looks like it's gonna be a cold morning this Saturday but I'm still planning on running this weekend (as of right now).

Got to get some road time in this week.
  7. Commander APPO Jedi Master

star 1
    OK Bad news
    The wife and I will be out of town this weekend. Sometimes the best laid plans go heck in a hand basket. I'll be you guys in sprit, enjoy the run.
  8. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Thanks for the post. If you're not there we'll probably ditch the run. As cold as it was this morning it would be a hard sell to get us out for a run. We'll probably just wait until it warms up in the afternoon and run around at the park by our house. Plus this morning I'm getting a "check tire pressure" light in my car, it's probably just cause it was so cold this morning but if I have an actual leak I wouldn't want to make the drive down anyway. Hopefully the light will turn off once the air in the tires warm up and expand a little, we'll see.
    Have fun this weekend!
  9. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Brrr...some cold mornings lately. I'm mostly done with races for the year I think. That doesn't mean I'm done with running. I'll probably still take a lap around the neighborhood in the afternoons when it's warmer. Plus it's easier to run if you just step out of a warm house, run, and get back in the house. Standing around in the cold waiting for a race to start is what gets me. We can still use this thread for winter training tips and such. Plus Mrs jedimika is planning on running the mini again this year so I'll keep you all posted on that.

So this will probably be my last race of the year but really it just depends on the weather...the YMCA Thanksgiving Day fun run. I ran this for the first time last year and it's just a quick get up and go run 1.5 miles so you feel like you got some exercise before you gorge yourself. Last year race time temp was about 39 degrees and that's about as cold as I'll run a race in.

http://www.ymcalouisville.org/northeast/well-being/turkey-day-fun-run.html
  10. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Hmm...I checked my notes and last year it was a 2 mile run.
    If anyone is thinking of doing this get there early for parking. Also even though I started near the front I still had to dodge around a lot of walkers, didn't like that. The run also bottlenecks when you hit the main road...you only have 1 lane to run in.
    Last edited by jedimika, Nov 5, 2013
  11. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    For me, my outdoor running is over. I am a YMCA'er untill Spring. Might run just for me if it is nice out, like an Indian Summer. I just can't run in the cold. Can't breathe. I don't know if it is just me, or if others are like that.

Hopefully, it will be warm for the YMCA Thanksgiving Day fun run. My hometown has something similar called "The Turkey Trot."
  12. Commander APPO Jedi Master

star 1
    Yes I've had the chance to run a turkey trot in Maryland a few years back, of course it was a fluke year the temp was around 60 and sunny what a great morning. Hopefully we'll get another chance sometime this year.
  13. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Looks like I'm out for Turkey Day. They're saying it's gonna be 30 degrees that morning, too cold for me to stand around and wait just to run 1.5 miles. Plus I've come down with a bit of a cold.
  14. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Something a bit different. I've seen this done other places but I think it's a new event for Louisville. The American Lung Association is having a stair climb Feb 1 2014 at the National City Tower downtown. The brouchure says it's 38 floors to climb and is timed. Registration is $35 but they also list a fundraising minimum of $100. I'm not real pleased with that but I guess you have to keep the crowds down some way or everyone would want to do it. I'm sure the stairwells can't handle some of the crowds I've seen at 5K's. So no way am I gonna do this one but I thought I would let everyone know of the opportunity.

http://www.lung.org/pledge-events/ky/louisville-climb-fy14/local/event-information.html
  15. Lord_Zannah Jedi Master

star 2
    Thanks for posting Mika... yea, that price is a little much for us too. [face_relieved]And the thoughts of being closed into a tight stairwell... [face_hypnotized]
  16. VoxDeamonicus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    So, I'm a couch potato, no secret there. However, I have a chance to get a job at Louisville Metro Corrections. Part of the physical requirements is being able to run a mile in 10 minutes or better. Not sure how long I have to train. I have access to a treadmill. Ideas? Tips?
  17. Lord_Zannah Jedi Master

star 2
    First rule... do NOT push yourself. You have had a knee replacement. You are a long time smoker. And you have not jogged in ages. Honestly, a very brisk walk should be sufficient to manage that time.

However.... for someone who has not done so in ages... be kind to yourself. Just walk a mile without looking at the time and see where you are at. Start from there. [face_love] You'll be able to do this.
  18. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Yeah, go easy. You're younger and lighter than me but with the knee replacement and being a smoker it will be as tough. I jog a 10 minute mile. I would recommend interval training. Start with your walk and start working jogs into your walk. Maybe just a minute at a time. Then maybe walk 2 minutes, jog 2 minutes and keep working up...making your jog time longer and your rest/walk time less. On the treadmill a 4(MPH) is a very brisk walk but at that pace it will take you 15 minutes to cover a mile. You will have to work up to a slow jog (a 6 on the treadmill) if you want to make that goal time.
  19. VoxDeamonicus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    cool beans. will do. going to use a treadmill for right now. and I going to go cold turkey at the start of the new year, :p But, yeah, start off slow. i can do that.
  20. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Ahhh...looks like the snow is finally starting to melt. Hopefully I can start with walking the dog a little farther now and we can both lose some of our winter weight.
    This snow has really played havok with the wife's training schedule, she's probably not going to do the Derby mini this year, she's still planning on doing a mini later in the year though. I would like to work myself up to a 10 K this year, maybe one of the 5K Challenge Courses.
    It's still early but I'm starting to look at the race calendar and there are some fun ones coming up this year
    There's a St Patrick's Day themed run here in Louisville March 15 (I'll be out of town)
    http://www.greenderbygallop.com/
    There's a Superhero run in Lexington in September I'll have to put on my calendar
    http://www.lexsuperherorun.com/
    And looking all the way ahead to November there's an Ugly Xmas Sweater run in Etown
    http://www.active.com/elizabethtown...s/ugly-christmas-sweater-run-2014?keywords=na
  21. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    Superhero run? Interesting.
  22. VoxDeamonicus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Superhero run? i wouldn't mind watching that. I'll go dressed as Doesn't Run Man. My super power? secretly replacing random glasses of water at each station with vodka.
    Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  23. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
  24. Commander APPO Jedi Master

star 1
    Hey Mika
    That's an interesting article you found. I wonder what the speed of recovery is compared to sports drinks is?
  25. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4