main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Testing the (Running) Water

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    WOW that's a shame about the Reindeer Romp but good that you did your own. I've got plans for Iroquois on the 20th so maybe I'll see you there, if not then I'll just run with the rest of the crowd.. I'll probably show up around 08:00 easier to find a parking spot.

2. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    I should be out there in the AM Appo, weather permitting. I probably register then head back to the car to stay warm till about 0855 :)

3. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Good no frills run for Appo and I this morning. Cold at around 32F but clear. We were hoping to spot a wild Jammies but no luck. Smallish crowd and it looked like it trended a little older. I actually improved on my Iroquois Park time from a couple years ago and finished in around 31:05. Appo was way ahead of me of course. I don't know how that course manages to have more uphills than downhills and still end up at the same start point but it does.

4. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Hey Appo, the Force was with me...I found those Kitchen Sink cookies. I told you we were going out for my sister's Lifeday dinner last night and across the street from the restaurant was a Fresh Market. I went in and sure enough they had the cookies. What luck!

5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    VoxDeamonicus likes this.
  6. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Hey Mika that was a great run (no big crowd to run around) although there were more uphill's than downs it just makes you a better runner in the long run (no pun intended). Yes the coffee and cookies were a treat, I was racing around the house all day long after drinking that super strong espresso (I know it wasn't suppose to be espresso but, homeless people need something to keep them going) sugar and caffeine what a rush.
    Again it was great to see, talk and get to run with you too bad we missed the wild Jammies (I know he was there somewhere hiding in the woods watching us).

Hey all don't let Mika fool you he was sprinting towards and I was doing all I could to keep up with him (way to fly Mika)^:)^

7. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    The wild Jammies hibernates in the winter, nesting in the tall grass and comics and little painted plastic. Once the spring thaw occurs, the wild Jammies laces his sneakers and fills his mp3 with star wars books-- but until then, he sits. And waits.

VoxDeamonicus likes this.
  8. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Hey that's cool Jammies, I hope too much doesn't collect during your hibernation time in the tall warm grasses of the lou system. Until then we'll look forward to seeing you in the spring (unless it's at the BC meeting).

9. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Shoot, you will see me! I'm not actually saying I become a hermit. I just can't run in cold weather is all. After about 10 minutes, I start getting what is called "exercise induced bronchospasms." Happens to lots of folks, I am sure there is a way to manage it other than going to the YMCA until Spring.

10. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    That's okay. I've been getting my miles in at the YMCA lately too. We're been pretty lucky weather wise (30's and 40's) but winter really starts tomorrow...brrrr.

Something I'm trying to keep myself motivated this winter is "virtual races". Since I'm on some mailing lists now I've been getting quite a few emails about these so I thought I'd give them a try. You sign up for a virtual race, pay your fee (about the same as a regular road race), run your 5K (or whatever) within a certain time frame (a week, a month), where you want (in the neighborhood, on a treadmill at the gym) and they send you a participation medal. I like the medal, I do like swag and I have plenty of Tshirts already. The advantages are being able to run on your schedule (if you're not a morning person) and where you want. No one is judging you on your time and there are no crowds/parking to deal with. The disadvantage is you have to motivate yourself and you miss out on that togetherness/shared experience.

I've signed up for a couple already and I got my Xmas race medal and I'm waiting on a couple of New Years medals. I found one group...Moonjoggers...that seems like a nice virtual community and they have a Star Trek run/medal this month and a Spaceballs run/medal later this year.
    http://www.moonjoggers.com/about-us/
    I'll keep you all posted on how it goes.

11. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Hey looks like a cool site however; I enjoy being with others and knowing I'm not the only one suffering (sometimes). I'm glad it is working for you during the cold weather and helps to keep you fit for the spring time.

12. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    ooooohhh, spaceballs medal

13. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Last weekend was the inaugural Star Wars mini marathon (with a 5K and 10K) at Disneyland. They have dates for January 2016 (sign ups have not yet started) and I've decided I want to do this. If there's one thing that can get me to run a mini it's Star Wars. But before I spend all the money to go out and run a mini in California I thought I'd better give it a try locally at first. I (and Mrs jedimika) signed up for the Run the Bluegrass in March and the Kentucky Derby mini in April (there's extra swag for doing both and I love swag). With the warm weather so far this winter I've been doing extra running on top of the good base I had from the Summer. My goals for the minis are very modest...jog at my 10 minute mile pace for an hour to get that first 6 miles out of the way then walk the rest at a brisk 4 miles an hour or so. That should get me in at about 3 hours easy. Hopefully I'll stay healthy (Mrs jedimika got derailed last year) and the weather will cooperate. Wish me luck.

14. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Hey Mika that' a great goal for you both. I don't foresee any problems for either of you and wish you both luck on your venture. I'll have to just cheer you all on this time from the side lines. Enjoy the runs and have fun...^:)^

15. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    No Johnny's 5K by the river this year

"Sadly, we regret to inform you that we will not be able to hold Johnny’s 5k race this year. Due to the bridge construction and the Falls of the Ohio going through a renovation project, we have come to the decision that it would not be safe for volunteers and runners on the race course this year. We are sad to have to skip a year of Johnny’s race but realize that the safety of everyone involved comes first. Our plan is to come back in 2016 with Johnny’s race early summer. We thank you all for your continued support of Johnny’s race and look forward to seeing everyone again in 2016 for a successful race year."

16. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Aww man! that's a good run along the river. we'll just have to catch up next year..

17. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  18. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Shoot I'm drilling that weekend and won't be able to check it out.

19. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I did well in January but February was bad for my training and now just when the sidewalks are clearing up we have another snow. I'm just gonna have to do the best I can for my mini at the end of March but I'm not feeling as good about it as I was.

20. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Welp, I convinced the wife to sign up for The Waterfront Challenge with me. It's not until June but the earlier you sign up the cheaper it is. It will give us a goal to keep training for through the Spring/Summer.
    http://www.thewaterfrontchallenge.com/

21. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    While I was in Lexington this weekend I ran the Shamrock 3K which benefits Habitat for Humanity. Since it was less than 2 miles I went all out (for me) and finished in 16:42 which calculated out to 9 minute miles. It was really rainy but since it was a short race and the finish line was at the Irish festival where there was some cover I didn't mind.

22. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  23. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Zoo page has been updated with a sign up link. I've signed up and the wife will be doing this one too.

24. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Did the Run the Bluegrass half marathon yesterday with Mrs jedimika and it was quite the experience for my first half. Someone told me before the race if I can do this one I can do any half marathon, it's a beast that even veteran runners are intimidated by. It goes through the horse country and farms around Keenland and is very beautiful but oh those hills and country roads...there are 28 hills with literally NO flat portions on the course. I just took my time, walking when I felt like it and jogging when I felt like it. I even stopped a time or two to take a picture and for a sip of beer at mile 11. I'm glad for all the cold weather running I did and the cold Iroquois Park race I did with Appo because start temp was around 21 degrees and finish temp still below freezing. I finished in 2 and a half hours which I thought was respectable and the wife beat her time from the Derby mini 2 years ago. In a stroke of luck I got to talking with some guys in the recovery area that did the Star Wars races this year and they gave me some good tips about signing up for them. They also gave me a sense about how unique and well respected the Run the Bluegrass is in the running community so it made me proud we have this in our backyard and that it was my initiation for half marathons.

25. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Good on ya Mika!