main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Testing the (Running) Water

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    Nice job Mr. and Mrs. Mika so glad you really enjoyed your first mini and got so great information about the run from other people. I was running in my dreams on the couch leasing to music. You see cold weather can be a good thing (sometimes).. Hope to see all this coming Monday.

Appo out!

2. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    The wife and I did the Derby mini this weekend and I didn't enjoy this one as much as the last one. The rain started when we did and really started coming down when I was at mile 10. I finished in 2:21 which was an improvement over the last one but that was a 10:46 pace and I think that's about as good as I'm gonna get. At least I know if I sign up for the Star Wars mini next year I'll be able to finish.

Throo the Zoo 5K coming up in a couple of weeks.

3. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    [​IMG]

Jogging past Slugger Field showing the Star Wars love at the Derby Mini with a Rebel Legion top (soaked!) and my Celebration Anaheim hat. What will I wear to the zoo this weekend? hmmm.

4. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Aww Kriff, is it this (Mother's day) weekend and not next weekend?
    Jammies
    \doing ok on my training tho.

5. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    Brandy did the throo the zoo today too!

6. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Mindtwister: I wish I would have known that. The wife and I would have looked for her. Maybe next year if there's interest we could do a Louisville Galactic Alliance walking team. We could wear our Tshirts or costumes, walk the course and have a zoo day afterwards. Maybe I'll start a thread about 4-6 months out to see if people are interested and to get them training to walk the three miles. If you sign up early the fee is reasonable and you get a lot for it.

Jammies: Sorry you couldn't make it this weekend but you have your choice of 5Ks for this next weekend (I'm working). The Run for the "L" of it 5K and the St Mathews Street Festival 5K.

Throo the Zoo was brutal this year. They changed the course (again) and there were a lot of steep uphills. Plus it was mid 70's and it had been raining a couple of hours before so it was muggy. Because the new course had some narrow areas where people could bottleneck they separated out the runners, joggers and walkers into waves which seemed to work well. I hope they keep that. I started in the runners wave and went as all out as I could for the first 2 miles before the heat got to me. I finished with 28:47 which is one of my better 5K times so I was happy even though I was sweaty and miserable.

7. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    That sounds like a good idea to me.

8. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    [​IMG]

Pre-Race game face on. Vader's Fist Tshirt and shorts.

VoxDeamonicus likes this.
  9. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Iroquois Hill Runners club have the dates up for their Summer runs

June 16 Pizza Pig Out 5K

July 14 Ice Cream Social 5K

August 11 Toys for Tots Poker Run 5K

Only $3 for the Pizza and Ice Cream runs?? and a toy (or cash) for the Toys for Tots run? Sign me up!
    Looks like I can make the pizza run but I won't know about the others until I get my work schedule.

http://iroquoishillrunners.org/

10. xanatos1975

xanatos1975 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2004
    OK I'm definitely in for the pizza pig out

11. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Jedi Training...this is Jedi Training is what I kept telling myself this weekend when the wife and I did the Waterfront Challenge Obstacle 5K. Looking back I'll probably say it was fun but it was tough and I had to keep motivating myself during it. Running, trail running, hurdles, belly crawls, dumpster climbing, car hood sliding, slosh tube lunging, flat bed climbing, picnic table jumping, ammo box carrying and lots more. The only obstacle I skipped was the hurdles because they looked ready to fall over by the time our wave got to them. I finished in 42:29 which isn't bad considering I normally do a plain 5K in 30 minutes. We all got a nice participation medal, and really when else will you get to go climb over cars, flat beds and picnic tables and it be publically acceptable?

12. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Pizza Pig Out 5K at Iroquois Park tomorrow evening. I'm 50/50 for this. Forecast is calling for rain plus with the recent heat I've only been doing short runs.

13. xanatos1975

xanatos1975 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2004
    given the current heat outside, I am gonna bow out... I would really love to do it, but I don't want to kill myself lol

14. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Agreed. It started raining here in the afternoon so I just stayed in.

BUT some good running news. The wife and I were able to get into the Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend for 2016. Registration started today and sold out in about 2 hours. We heard it would go fast so we were at our computers clicking refresh as soon as it opened. We're doing the 5K, the 10K and the half marathon. This is the reason I ran those local minis at the beginning of the year and the goal I was working for. Now we just have to stay healthy and fit over the next 6 months.
    http://www.rundisney.com/star-wars-half-marathon/

15. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    May the speed force be with you!

16. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  17. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    July 14 Ice Cream Social coming up next week. I'm planning on running this one weather and such pending.

18. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Hot and humid tonight but I was out there at Iroquois Park to run (well jog and walk) the 5K. Good crowd, all shapes and sizes and ages. Everyone took it pretty easy with the heat and I even went out carrying a water bottle. I finished around 33:31 which wasn't too bad with all the walking I did. I didn't want to seem to greedy so I limited myself to one ice cream cone and then stopped for a Nutella shake at Steak and Shake on the way home. Looking forward to the Tots for Tots Poker Run next month.

19. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  20. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Toys for Tots run is getting near. Mika, you were right, my dentist doesn't want me to run-- but we will see. I can't see it hurting me too much (except in the shebs, but not the gums).

21. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Well I plan on going slow tonight with the heat as it is plus I donated blood on Friday so my red blood cells are probably still a little low (that will be my excuse anyway).

22. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Good run last night. I did a little better on the run than last month but still took it a little easy in the heat, finished in around 32:34. There were lots of good snacks and lots of door prizes and a big crowd. They raised 235 toys and I forget how much cashy money. I had a straight on my poker cards and thought I might win something but I didn't finish in the top five. Didn't win a door prize either. Ah well, it was for a good cause and it was a fun time anyway.

Next run on my list...Pure Tap 5K on September 12 is a maybe as that's the same weekend as Cinci Comic Con. After that Gaslight 5K on September 15 is an almost definitely.

23. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Here's a new one I have mixed feelings on. It's a "MovieRun 5K" and the theme is Star Wars. It's another of these traveling money making "Event" runs (that give a portion of funds to charity). It's pretty obvious its not sanctioned by the Powers That Be and their "event photos" are just pics from Star Wars Celebration and other events yanked off the internets. Seems pretty shady. I wouldn't even think about supporting them except maybe Star Wars will be the hook to get some more people out there moving. Look at my example...I never would have run a mini this year except I wanted to get some experience for next year's RunDisney events. Star Wars was the trigger I needed. So I'm torn, any feedback/opinions are welcome. Its November 7 in Lexington. Registration is $70 (!) but they list a code for 50% off.

http://www.active.com/danville-ky/r...n-run-the-movies-lexington-ky-2015?cmp=23-126

http://www.5kmovierun.com/

24. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I guess the East Coast was feeling left out, RunDisney has added a Star Wars run event weekend to Orlando as well.
    http://theforce.net/story/front/Ina...rk_Side_Announced_For_Disney_World_165521.asp

Twice the opportunities. As much demand as there is this was pretty much a no brainer for Disney. Maybe the races won't sell out quite as fast if they're doing one on each coast every year. This is a nice option for us in the future. It will be closer and drivable.

25. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Ouch.
    First time running since i got the ok to run again. Didn't do that great.
    I guess I should do that couch to five k program (walk/run/walk/walk/walk/run).