main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Testing the (Running) Water

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, Apr 25, 2013.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Wife and I are planning to do the Gaslight 5K this Tuesday evening the 15th, weather and health (twisted my back unloading the cat litter yesterday...arg) permitting.

2. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    Ouch! Hope you feel better soon!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

3. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Gaslight 5K last night with the wife and a friend from work. Respectable 29:07 but nothing to write home about. Pretty hot, 82 degrees at race time. Not sure what my next road race is gonna be. Will have to check the calendar.

4. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    We did the Pure Tap. We did OK. I did 13 minute mile, which for me is pretty good. As far as races go, I wasn't a huge fan. Well organized and nice swag-- but super crowded, got stuck behind YMCA kids doing a fun run, and for 35 bucks we just ran down a highway full of truck exhaust (with a wonderful riverside park right there! Just let us run in the park!). Looking forward to the Highlands five K next month ish.

5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  6. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Yup, that is the one. :)

7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Okay, I'm registered. See you Saturday.

8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Cool.
    Hopefully I won't sprain my back/shoulder on the first hill (might even just walk it to be safe). But still, end of race pancakes!

9. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Great to see you and the Mrs Jammies. Hope the pancakes were tasty and hope you didn't mess anything up on those hills. Wow, I thought last year was hilly. I think mile 2 was ALL uphill. Still did my usual 30 minute 5K, something to be said for consistency I guess.

10. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  11. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  12. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  13. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Did the YMCA Turkey Trot yesterday morning and did the 10K. I was being passed left and right but just kept my normal 10 minute/mile pace and finished right at 60 minutes and change. There were some timing issues but otherwise it seemed well organized and they actually started the 10K runners about 10 minutes before the 5K participants and that worked out really well.

14. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    Great Mika
    Glad you had a good time with all the others enjoying the morning...

15. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Good run Boss. I just got a new pair of running kicks for next year, and I hope to get in more miles in 2016.

16. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  17. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yup, this is where the wife and I were this weekend (and why I was so late replying to this post). We both did all the races and it was a lot of fun. Some races were more fun than others. All the races were at 0530 but I stayed on East Coast time the whole time I was there so it was actually like 0830 to my body (still very dark though). Weather was consistent (I was worried about some El Nino rains), 50 degrees every race morning and 60-65 by the afternoon. We did the Star Wars inspired running gear...if the pictures from the course photographers turn out nice I'll share them. All the races had some nice photo ops along the route but I skipped all of them. Bought a lot of swag. You all will just have to put up with me wearing my Star Wars running shirts for the next year.

5K--This was my least favorite. It was an untimed "fun run" so it's just as well I promised myself I'd take it easy and do it together with the wife at her pace. The course was all in the park. It was only 5000 runners but it felt very crowded. A lot of the paths in the park get pretty narrow and there were a lot of walkers to dodge around. Very frustrating. Finished around 43 minutes by my watch. The 5K award "medal" was rubber though. If the 5K would have been the only race I signed up for I would have been pretty angry. These races aren't cheap, the least Disney can do is give you a real medal.

10K--Even though this one was all in the park as well it felt more spread out even with 10000 runners. A lot of curvy paths, very few straight runs, some darn dark areas. Finished in 1:07:53. Pretty sweet medal.

Half Marathon--They said it was 15000 runners. Started in the park...mostly the same 10K route from the day before then out into the streets of Anaheim. Physically tough but probably the most fun. Lots of cheer teams and high school bands along the route (I hope Disney gives them a little something for their time). The 501st/Rebel Legion/Mandos were out in force around mile 8? I think. Lots of spectators. Really had that "special day" feel. Plenty of water stops and plenty of port a potties. Everything was very well organized (the whole weekend actually). Had to do a lot of walking with this one. Finished in 2:35:53. The most awesome finisher medal ever...it looks like the Yavin ceremony medal. We also got a bonus medal for doing the 10K and Half back to back (the Rebel Challenge).

We think we'll do the RunDisney races again. I'd like to do the new Star Wars races (The Dark Side) in Orlando in 2017 so I can have a second set of Star Wars medals. I'd like to skip the 5K but the wife wants to do it and skip the Half in the future so we'll see. I'll post more thoughts as they come to me.

18. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  19. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    [​IMG]

Me and the Mrs doing the 5K

20. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Totes Adorbs!

21. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I was in Lexington this weekend for the Comic Con and again it fell on the same weekend as the Irish/St Patty's Day festival and again I did the "Shamrock Shuffle 3K". Lots of green around but I represented with my Star Wars/501st running gear instead. Finished in 16:43 which was about my same time as last year.

Bad news I won't be able to make the Throo the Zoo 5K this year as it falls on a weekend I work...Saturday May 14 if anyone else wants to do it. I'd be interested to see if they keep the runners/joggers/walkers waves they started last year as I thought it went a lot smoother.
    https://louisvillezoo.org/event/throo-the-zoo-5k-runwalk-2/

22. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    While I was at LexCon people were passing out flyers for some local Superhero themed charity run so I thought I would post them up here.

Wild Hearts Fun Run Superhero 5K June 18 at Keeland
    https://www.facebook.com/wildheartsfunrun

Casa Superhero 5K September 10 at the Kentucky Horse Park
    http://www.lexingtoncasa.com/#!2016-superhero-run/coca

Too early to say but I'm interested in both of these, more for where the runs are at than the superhero element. Seems like both Keenland and The KY Horse Park would be awesome places to run a 5K.

23. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Went ahead and did the Run The Bluegrass Half Marathon yesterday. It was the first half I ever did last year and I really liked how pretty it was so I came back again. Didn't train as much as last year but I wasn't looking for a PR or anything. I finished in 2:32:28 which is slower than last year but about as fast as I did the RunDisney Star Wars Half this last January. But...the best part? My average pace ended up being 11:38 :D

No plans to run the Derby Mini this year. Really flat and boring running in Downtown, nothing to see at all. Did not enjoy it at all last year.

24. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    I plan on walking Throo the zoo. It will be my first 5k and hopefully I can do it with my foot problems.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

25. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    That's awesome Twisty! I'm really sad I can't make it this year to walk with you.