Texas Tech course on Star Wars

Discussion in 'Lubbock, TX' started by TI1420, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TI1420 Jedi Knight

star 2
    http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.shtml#23430

Above is the link to the TFN article about an upcoming class at TTU about Star Wars.

Here is the link to the TTU page about the same course.

I plan on attending, despite it being scheduled for when '24' is on!

There is also a Star Wars film festival going on at Mahon library sometime soon.

I reckon that attendance for any of these events would count as a meeting if some of us show up. Please spread the word...
  2. jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    I'm trying to contact the instructor (Robert Weiner) to find out just what exactly the course will cover. I've e-mailed asking if I could help out, but if not, I'll take it, too.
  3. jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Okay, I talked to Robert and he says that if 3 more people don't sign up for the course, it won't make. Know anybody else interested?
  4. TI1420 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm trying to drum up some takers, but nothing yet. Most of my Star Wars buddies are either working or out of town for the class :(

Perhaps we can get together with Robert regardless and just have a nice chat about Star Wars every so often. If we can't meet up at the TTU extended studies place, Godeke library is a block away, and I can arrange a room at Science Spectrum if need be.

I'll try and get hold of Robert and see if he's amenable to that. I'd like to get together with some other fans and talk books, comics, props, and all other things Star Wars... lord knows my wife is getting a bit weary of hearing about it!

Cheers,

Ian W
    TI/IG-1420
    Lubbock TX

5. dinochick Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey! I just got back from SpringBreak and heard! Heck yes I am interested and I will enroll in it tomorrow if its not to late to already. I also emailed the information to a friend who said she would take it and to another friend who's husband is really into SW.
    See you there hopefully :D
  6. TI1420 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Here's my review of the SW class that was recently offered at Texas Tech University here in Lubbock, JediMaster Ed and Dinochick, please feel free to add anything I missed and/or your opinion.

"Educating Local Natives:
    An Imperial Officer's report on a pleasant cultural exchange with the citizens of the planet Earth."

I first learned about this course from the main page of news at www.theforce.net. The class, conducted by Robert Weiner, had a total enrollment of 15 people. More would have been nice, but I had no issues with the smaller class size. Hopefully the class will get more publicity next time so we have more people.
    Out of the class, 5 were kids about 10 years old, 5 were parent/guardians of the kiddoes, and the rest were "grown up" fans. Some of the parents were only vaguely familiar with Star Wars (although it became clear that more of SW had sunk in with them than they had realized!), but were enthusiastic because the class was an opportunity to share their children's love of Star Wars.

Robert said the course came about as a result of some other classes he'd taught on James Bond and other film series; strangely enough, none of the people who had suggested the Star Wars class enrolled in it! I feel that the low population density combined with the very small amount of publicity for the course kept the attendance down; I live in Lubbock, and heard about the class through www.theforce.net rather than local channels. Fortunately, the local paper's entertainment editor also put a piece about the course in the paper the Sunday before the class started. Good thing, too, or there woldn't have been enough folks registered to have the class!

We began Tuesday, March 23rd, by introducing ourselves and stating our favorite character and SW film. It was interesting to see that the young'uns prefer the prequel films to the original trilogy, and gratifying to hear that none of these kids like Jar-Jar. (Take note, Unca George!)
    ESB was a common film favorite, though JediMaster Ed and I both agreed that Episode III will be the best of the films IF it is done right. A lively discussion ensued from this comment, and some of the parents expressed a bit of shock upon learning that Anakin will "go bad" in EpIII.

Next came a book assignment; Robert brought a big stack of SW books and passed them out to each member of the class. Some were comics (pardon me, "graphic novels" :D ), some were novelizations of the films, some were Jedi Academy. (I got a nice book about the "Science of Star Wars", and it has inspired me to try putting together a summer workshop on that topic at the science museum where I work) The nice thing was that these books were given to us for keeps! We were asked to read the books we chose, or at least as much of it as we could, in order to review it for the class in the third session.

Robert then brought out a copy of "The Power of Myth" and we discussed the many mythical archtypes found in the Star Wars universe. Many of the kids began to drift off at this point, as some of the discussion was a bit beyond their experience. We then watched a bootleg video called the "Unofficial Making of Star Wars" wherein we learned, among other things, that Christopher Walken was once a top candidate to play Han Solo. (I'd love to see the audition reels of that!)Before we left, Robert asked us to bring some SW-related things for show and tell at the next class.

Following orders, the next week I brought my Anakin FX saber, a home-made saber, and my recently finished Clone Trooper helmet (complete with internal audio, external PA, and tail lights). Everyone passed the saber around, and all the kids tried on my helmet. Most folks present had never heard of the 501st or Rebel Legion, and thought the idea was pretty cool, so I promised to come in full gear the next week.

There was more discussion about the prequels, which led into the EU literature arena. Some dismay was expressed by the kids and parents about how MUCH Star Wars literature there is out there- many of the questions were along the lines o
  7. dinochick Jedi Knight

star 1
    I must agree with everything TI1420 had to say about the class! I really enjoyed it and wished more would have attended and it had lasted longer. I unfortunately had to miss one of the classes, which bummed me out.
    It was also nice to get to meet other Star Wars fans from the area. I thought Robert did a good job and was very enthusiastic. It was also fun to see the kids get so excited over the subject and interesting to see how they view things, with the generation gap between us existing. JediMaster Ed was very knowledgeable and patient with the kids, and they really enjoyed getting to ask their questions, and I think all the kids got a really big kick out of seeing TU1420 in costume. :)
    It was also nice to go to a class where you get free things - who doesn?t like free stuff??!! :D
    I hope the class is offered again and I would look forward to a monthly meeting being held so we can all hang out some more!
  8. Sith-Kazar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow! I wish sooooooooooo much that they had a class avalible up here in St. Louis! I tried to teach Star Wars in my physics class my senior year of highschool but they barly paid attention. How I would love to talk with people who want to know about the Star Wars universe.
  9. auroranightsky Jedi Padawan

Wow, that sounds fantastic. I wish I had known about it >.< Is there any talk of doing it again?
  10. TI1420 Jedi Knight

star 2
    The course instructor, Robert, is also the illustrious founder of our SW book discussion group, and has talked about doing either another outreach class like the one this spring or a full-semester actual for-credit class.

Probably a letter to TTU would help this along as well. Come out to the book meeting this Wednesday and maybe we can work on persuading Tech to offer another class.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.