main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Texturing Problem with MAX

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by fireresq7, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Hey guys, I'm a little stumped here. I'm animating the Super Battle Droid from Scit-fi and I have recently textured him like I texture everything else, but when I animate him walking the texture doesn't stay fixed on him.

It's as if his texture was a wall behind him and he is somewhat "transparent".
    Like doing an Alpha Matte Effect with Adobe After Effects.

Another way to explain it is: Like the texture rolls around him instead of staying fixed.
    if there was a stain on his arm it will move off his arm.

???

Can anyone explain this? Thanks

~Rory

2. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    If you are using UVW Map then that might cause it. To fix this then you could try applying a UVW Unwrap modifier to it and then just leave it and I think that should fix it.

3. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    Hmm But I've always used a UVW Map for most of my texturing, and it's never happened...Alwell I'll try it. Once I find the unwrap modifer, hoe do I use it?And can I leave the uvw wrap effect at the same time or must I delete the other opne first?

~Rory

4. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    I think it's just because of the mesh deforming. The UVW Map is just like a gizmo for applying the mapping so it doesn't take into account if the mesh changes form. The Unwrap UVW (I think I switched those two words around earlier) is for manually telling what part of the image each poly is positioned on. But it can also be used to just keep whatever mapping is applied to the model. You can just add the Unwrap UVW to the top of the modifier stack without ruining the Physique or whatever, if it still does mess up, just drag it down below physique so that it is applied to the model before physique is.

5. JeneralJarJar

JeneralJarJar Jedi Master star 1

May 1, 2003
    Yes, remember that Max's modifier stack works from the bottom up. So typically you should have: mesh -> UVs -> skinning -> smoothing.

6. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    Ok I'll give it a go. get back to you when it's done rendering.....Which means: Tommorrow morning.

Thanks guys
    ~Rory

7. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    Maybe the map is set to Screen mode. Try setting it to sphere or cube, that way it might work.

8. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    Well looks like the Unwrap modifier worked.

Thanks guys!

~Rory

9. -OC-

-OC- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    When my UV coordinnates are set, I always collapse this modifier, to avoid this kind of problem. I always try to keep my modifier stack as simple as possible. Most of the time, it only contains "editable poly" and "meshsmooth" (well turbosmooth now) and a skin modifier between, if it's a character. Keep it it mind: the shorter your modifier stack is, the better it is, less messy, faster, and this kind or error disappears

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.