main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA Academy Awards Nominations

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by thescavenger, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Seriously? Sincere question and not flaming -Why are you here if you think it's "pure bubblegum?"

2. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Oscar snubs don't matter anyways. TESB, didn't even get nominated in 1981 despite being (IMO) one of the best films ever made.

Ordinary People, a movie no one has cared about for at least 30 years won (I also think it's BS that Raging Bull didn't win... at least Raging Bull like TESB was a great film with lasting impact)

3. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    This has probably been asked already, but when was the last movie that ranked number one for all time not nominated for Best Picture?

Snow White, Gone With The Wind, Ten Commandments, Sound of Music, Godfather, Jaws, Star Wars (ANH), ET, Titanic, and Avatar were ALL nominated for Best Picture the year they came out. Am I missing any?

4. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    You must be unaware, then, that Stallone received a Best Actor nomination for Rocky. Furthermore, it was nominated for Best Screenplay, Best Director and Best Picture, and actually took home both Best Director and Best Picture awards in 1977.

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Yup. No screener. No campaign. Had they released a screener, and campaigned heavily for a BP nom, it may have gotten it, given that the critic consensus was so high and people were relieved to have a great Star Wars film.

No big deal.

6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I'm a fan of Fury Road, but pls list its scenes that were "high cinema".

7. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Actually, ANH was nominated.

8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yeah, I know. I meant "future Star Wars movie" :)

9. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Finally saw Mad Max Fury Road. I enjoyed it and it's visually stunning but I don't see it as any more worthy of recognition than TFA. TFA is the better movie.
    Having said that, it is good to see the Oscars recognize Mad Max and the Martian.

10. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    I know people that watched Taken 3 months before release due to this. So yeah, as much as I want hi rez screenies now, I'm happy the plot was so well hidden.

11. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

One might ask what the hell "high cinema" even means. It seems like a meaningless term to me... basically something invented to build up things someone likes and tear down things they dont

12. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

Lol, and I could certainly make the case for why TFA is high cinema.

And I didn't realize there was no screener sent out for consideration - that makes a lot more sense now knowing it wasn't even eligible for nomination as best picture - it couldn't have been nominated period. Thanks for clearing that up for me

Zenwalker likes this.
  13. SunStar

SunStar Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 25, 2015
    Just for fun and for those who missed it, here's the article that I posted a couple of days ago here that mentions that the film wasn't screened. (I don't agree, though, that it was a "long shot at best."

From the Los Angeles Times entertainment section, January 14:

J.J. Abrams’ reboot of the venerable space saga earned nods for film editing, original score, sound editing, sound mixing and visual effects, but missed out on a best picture nomination. A long shot at best in that category, “The Force Awakens” was hampered by its December opening and the fact that it did not screen for critics groups.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/la-et-mn-oscars-star-wars-20160114-story.html

14. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    I'm not too into the concept of film awards as such bit I genuinely gave up on The Oscars after Tom Hanks missed out in 2013 for Captain Phillips. I thought he was fantasticly believable in that movie and brought me to tears. He didn't even get a nomination in a category that ended up with Leo Di Caprio (Wolf of Wall St.) and Christian Bale (American Hustle).

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  15. redinight

redinight Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 15, 2001
    This is the worst SW film. I consider it separate from the complete saga. The only award that I think it should be nominated for is visual effects. Maybe supporting cast for moments of Rey... My mind would melt if best director, best screenplay, or best picture was awarded. Having said that I can't believe Mad Max has 10 nominations...really?

16. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Noted.

Howard Hand and Artoo-Dion like this.
  17. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    Mad Max is a phenomenal movie. And no matter if it wins or loses, or even if it never got a nom, it's still one of the greatest films I've seen.

Howard Hand likes this.
  18. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I am actually very much reminded of the fan responses to Cuaron's Prisoner of Azkaban. Easily the best film in that franchise (definitely up to that point), yet there was a very small yet very vocal contingent of purist HP fans that consistently attacked it.

19. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    Worst SW movie? I take it you missed Attack of the Clones...?

Howard Hand, Drewton, AmySolo and 2 others like this.
  20. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    For someone to call TFA the worst Star Wars movie is clearly trolling.....

21. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    It should've been nominated for more awards. I just hope The Force Awakens wins all the awards it's nominated for and Mad Max wins best picture.

22. redinight

Nov 15, 2001
    Yes I did, caught it I think eight times in the theater. It's far from perfect. It was my least favorite SW movie for a while... I think it has immense pacing issues in the first half, some lame character designs (Elan Sel'Sabagno), weak CG moments, and weak dialogue. But it doesn't have enough of one of my favorite characters ever, the mysterious Count Dooku. It also continues an amazing story! It was a lot of fun, Yoda comes to life, Jedi come to the rescue, the clones and Fett are pure SW, Obi-Wan is back, Anakin is getting awkward, the action was intimate, Palpatine scared me...

That was all better than what I got in TFA. I watched it twice, I tried but it wasn't it for me. I appreciated some of the delivery of lines, but production design was awful..

23. redinight

Nov 15, 2001
    Really? Hmm, I don't, don't even own a boat... I think you're underestimating the power of individual taste.

24. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    That's trawling :p

25. redinight

Nov 15, 2001
    What's that?
    http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brow...6l7hkDgTa37xZTmSCQIPPBoCnzPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolling_(fishing)

I know, comedy is hard...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.