main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA at the Oscars

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by bigbadwolf, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    It would be ironic if tfa won those categories when the prequels didn't. Considering they were for sure better in score and costumes.

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  2. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    It would be ironic if tfa won those categories when the prequels didn't. Considering they were for sure better in score and costumes.

3. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    I think it's for sure getting several noms....

Technical categories like special effects and sounds are a lock.

Possible for Harrison Ford since the Academy always likes to nominate an old man in the Best Supporting Actor category, and usually to recognize them for their entire career. See Jack Palance. See countless other examples.

Possible Best Picture since the Academy is trending more towards including blockbusters and there are more slots in that category.

I think it will do quite well!

4. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    The main reasons the prequel scores weren't nominated was because of tracked music that made them ineligible (AOTC and/or ROTS), general dislike for the films among voters (TPM, AOTC, and/or ROTS), and the fact that Williams had other more Academy-friendly drama scores from the same year (Angela's Ashes, Catch Me If You Even Can, Munich/Memoirs of a Geisha). None of that (minus one very short instance of tracking that didn't even disqualify the score) is present here. I think it even has a decent shot at winning.

Plus TFA's score is better than the prequels' in many ways.

5. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I'm not as enamored with the Oscars as I used to. I still watch but it's usually cause there isn't anything else worth watching. I think TFA will get and possibly win the technical awards. I think there's an outside chance Harrison will get a nomination for Supporting Actor and an even slimmer chance that Daisy might get a nomination as Best Actress. I don't think so but I think it's possible.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

What am I missing?

Best Picture? - unlikely
    Best Acting - Actor/Actress - mayyyyybe
    Best Writing - unlikely

7. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    is there a prize for
    Best cameo? [face_batting]

8. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    Joy and Concussion will win at the Oscars. Star Wars won't get any awards because the awards voters are snooty artsy types who don't know what a good movie really is.

9. Connordoo

Connordoo Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
    The new mad max film will probably will something becuase people seen to be obsessed with it even though it was the most boring film I've ever watched in my life.

10. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Here is the complete list of Oscar categories:

• Best Picture: since 1928
    • Best Directing: since 1928
    • Best Actor in a Leading Role: since 1928
    • Best Actor in a Supporting Role: since 1936
    • Best Actress in a Leading Role: since 1928
    • Best Actress in a Supporting Role: since 1936
    • Best Animated Feature: since 2001
    • Best Animated Short Film: since 1931
    • Best Cinematography: since 1928
    • Best Costume Design: since 1948
    • Best Documentary Feature: since 1943
    • Best Documentary Short Subject: since 1941
    • Best Film Editing: since 1934
    • Best Foreign Language Film: since 1947
    • Best Live Action Short Film: since 1931
    • Best Makeup and Hairstyling: since 1981
    • Best Original Score: since 1934
    • Best Original Song: since 1934
    • Best Production Design: since 1928
    • Best Sound Editing: since 1963
    • Best Sound Mixing: since 1930
    • Best Visual Effects: since 1939
    • Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay): since 1928
    • Best Writing (Original Screenplay): since 1940

11. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    Production design and maybe supporting actor for Ford but too be honest i would really like to see Stallone get that one for Creed

12. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Not a lock, but maybe more likely than the prequels were as they seemed snubbed.
    I think it would be neat if something much smaller like Ex Machina got a visual effects nod though.

13. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i don't know what they'd nominate it for. not score, the costume's were just more of the same and the prequels got nothing with tons of originality , and as for special effects

well we know it was done for real this time :rolleyes:

14. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Wait... hasn't the Academy already released their nominations? I think he was mentioned that The Force Awakens was released too late to be considered.

15. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    That's a fair estimate, though I think there's a serious chance for a Best Picture Nomination/Best Original Score win.

Well, the critics like all of those elements (whether you care to admit it or not) so nominations for them are incredibly likely. Plus they actually liked the film this time, so it won't get nearly as shafted in those areas as the prequels did.

16. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I think it will get a Best Picture nom. It's not likely to win, but I think it could get a nom.

17. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    It'll almost certainly get a token Best Picture nom(especially given Lucas wasn't involved and they can throw him shade), so they ensure all the stars show up no matter what. Doesn't have a chance of winning, though.

I do not see it being nominated in acting categories. Its just not the type of film that gets nominated, and having your film make $689 million in 5 days means the stars will not be hurting for exposure.

Technical categories? It'll probably run the table and that'll be its reward as usual for genre films. John Williams can just start making another space on the shelf right now.

18. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Daisy Ridley gave a good performance. It all depends how far the studio were willing to promote it. They could petition for Best Actress or Best Supporting Actress.

19. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    No, the Academy doesn't release its nominations until well into the new year. If I remember correctly, any film released a week or more before the end of the calendar year is eligible for consideration. So after that they have to send out nomination forms, have them sent back, confirm all the ballots are in order and then they release the nominations.

According to Google, Oscar nominations will be announced at 5:30 am PST on January 14, 2016

20. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes TFA is eligible.

I predict it will be nominated for the usual Star Wars nominated tech categories: Sound,Sound Editing,VFX, etc. Nothing more than that I would guess.

21. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    You have to be kidding. He was one of the two worst actors in the movie.

It may get nominated for effects / art design type awards. But I doubt it will get more than one or two nominations, who knows maybe even none.

22. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Since there seems to be very few Oscar caliber films this year, and since Disney has the money to promote it, and since there are 10 best picture spots, not 5, there is a slight chance that TFA could slip into the last available spot, but I doubt it. Actually, for some reason I think Fury Road has a better shot at it, though again I think that's a real long shot. I do think it's more likely than TFA will win the Academy Award for best adapted screenplay based on upon pre-existing material, though!:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.