main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA Continuity Errors

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Worker11811, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkooterNB

SkooterNB Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 4, 2005

Chewie blasts some troopers away, knocking them back pretty hard IIRC. But I think Kylo not getting blown back is a testament to his strength.

2. FN-2187

FN-2187 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 6, 2015
    One day, when I'm old and feeble and living in a nursing home, I'll still be mumbling, "Where did Finn's blaster go?" to myself.

3. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    The first respite in Niima Outpost where Finn searches around and says, 'Anyone have a blaster', is evidence that Finn thinks in terms of / is conditioned to think of a blaster as The weapon. The melee weapon TR-8R wields, if we assume Finn has ever seen it being used during his time as a Stormtrooper, is as close to a lightsaber as Finn could have gotten. The scene in question is Maz forcing Finn to invite himself into the exclusive group of lightsaber combatants. There is no reason to interpret that scene as Maz having an interest solely and exclusively in Rey getting that lightsaber. She already upbraided Finn on running. Wielding a lightsaber is an exact opposite to running.

4. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    On a small tangent, anyone else think it's weird that Han has never shot the bowcaster until TFA? I know most of old EU is wiped out, but really? Never before?

5. SkooterNB

SkooterNB Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 4, 2005

It is a nit pick, but I just go with it. I think it's kind of fun, considering Han says that he just talks his way out of things as well. They also needed to establish the power of the gun too. But, if you go to the OT, the bowcaster is in no way depicted as powerful as it is in this movie. It acts like a normal blaster in ESB (can't remember the caster's effects in ROTJ).

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The first time I saw it, when he said "I don't have a weapon", I wondered what happened to the one Han clearly tells him to keep it. I tend not to notice continuity errors until I've seen something a bunch, but this one jumped out at me.

7. Worker11811

Worker11811 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 6, 2016

Yes, indeed. I saw that one, too. It's my #3 in the initial post on this thread.

8. Worker11811

Jan 6, 2016

I had thought about this after the second or third screening. If he doesn't wear that helmet *ALL* *THE* *TIME*, then it's just an obvious affectation that would be a source of ridicule amongst the rank-n-file. He doesn't really walk the corridors without his helmet on … does he? So either he should have had his helmet back on when talking to Snoke or holding it while doing so. But, whatever...

9. Worker11811

Jan 6, 2016

We do? Huh. I didn't see it.

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes, it's difficult to see (spotted it on my second time).

Worker11811 likes this.
  11. Worker11811

Jan 6, 2016

I made that point early in my tenure here and was roundly shouted down by people saying it's a 'new' model, so Han wanted to try it out.

12. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Apparently the bolts Chewie is using are more powerful than usual according to Pablo. He's packing new charges lol.

But yeah, I did wonder if they overplayed Han's surprise. It's no biggie for me though.

The other continuity detail is they obviously chopped Kylo in SKB around a bit. When he's talking to Snoke after the Probe, he has his hood around his shoulders. As he stalks towards the cell, he's not wearing the hood around his shoulders at all. When he gets to the cell, it's back on. they obviously wanted to increase the tension while Rey tries to pull off the mind trick.

13. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

Revanfan1 said he was holding his helmet while talking to Snoke. I missed that detail (maybe this can justify another watch, hehehe)

14. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Not a continuity error, but I remember watching a video where someone was asking how Kylo's hair keeps its "body" despite being in a helmet. Then I noticed when Kylo takes of his helmet in front of Han, It's already mostly off....I guess they didn't want to muss up his hair. ;)

Worker11811 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  15. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015

When they leave Maz Castle, if my memory is correct I think the Castle it falling apart. So I supose this could be a way they could say Finn lost it while trying to leave in a hurry.

16. Worker11811

Jan 6, 2016

In the early '80s, the fan club materials said that Chewie's bandolier was the ammo and the different size boxes were different types of ammo, the biggest one being explosive bolts. Presumably, he had put one of those in at the top of the movie, and when he reloaded while planting the charges (off camera). he put in regular ones.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  17. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015

He is using the Force to keep it looking sharp. You never know when you will need to impress some scavenger scum.....

MeBeJedi likes this.
  18. Jakku

Jakku Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    The Visual Dictionary says that Finn's stormtrooper clothes are made of a self-repairing fabric. :-B That one had bothered me too, although not as much as the disappearing blaster after they'd clearly shown him running back from the smugglers' ship with it strapped on.

19. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015

That's right, the bandolier is described in the visual dictionary and the boxes of different sizes are the magazines holding 1 to 3 quarrels each. Wookiepedia says all quarrels are explosive, but some Wookies modified their bowcasters to fire pure energy shots, weaker but requiring no ammo.

20. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    [​IMG]

21. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I'd have to watch again but there are two that I have trouble with. The first was mentioned earlier - Finn suddenly not having his blaster at Maz's. He has it when he is handed the lightsaber in the basement, and by the time he comes out during the battle, doesn't. I wonder if there is a deleted scene that explains that.

The other is Rey's mysterious disappearing backpack. She is clearly wearing a brown pack when she is scavenging, but by the time she is on her speeder it is gone. At first I thought this was what she hangs on the side of the speeder behind the cargo net, but that is a satchel, completely different.

Worker11811 likes this.
  22. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    Just to point out BB-8 has two antennae(?) 1 thick white one & a thinner taller wire one.

Edit: oops, just noticed you totally addressed this in the same post. Sorry about that!

23. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015

Not sure until I rewatch it or have the Bluray, but I found two sets of stills that show that she put the backpack in the speeder.
    One still had her by the speeder with the backpack, the other shows her putting the backback together with the other stuff in that cargo net.

24. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Again, this is the result of a cut scene. There was a scene where Han, Finn, Chewy, and Maz have to fight their way out of the basement/castle. Remember the pictures of JJ directing the stormtroopers in that promo shot from Celebration? That was from that scene. Boyega was disappointed they cut it from the movie. He said that it was some of the best banter between Han and Finn in the whole script.

Worker11811 likes this.
  25. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Well, JJ made a point of saying how a lot of Maz's material was cut, so this should not come as a surprise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.