main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA Deleted Scenes

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by smudger9, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    Was Sarco Plank in the film? What about the guy from Maz Kanata's castle with the black stormtrooper helmet and fur coat (he's in the Vanity Fair picture)? I didn't spot either of those guys.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

Snow Troopers at some point board the Millenium Falcon, this was cut out. Picture of it exists in the visual dictonary. So its also possible that Kylo boarded the Falcon.

There is no scene like the one in the first teaser, with the hooded Kylo walking into the woods looking into the empty wilderness.

3. Lord Thomas

Lord Thomas Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2015
    Constable Zuvio is killed by Kylo Ren in the Flashback, tahat happened on Jakku

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    did Poe have more scenes originally , I was surprised how little he was in it .

5. relapse5127

relapse5127 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    I always thought the lightsaber through space was the basis of the George Lucas/Michael Arndt version of Ep 7 that JJ threw in the bin ?

From what I seem to remember I am sure that I read that the George Lucas/Arndt version of Ep7 was something along the lines of the lightsaber falls through space and is found at the start of the movie by 2 people who have no idea what it is and they go on an adventure to find out what it is and who it belongs to. The sabre, because it was Anakin's, was going to supposedly unlock the sith temple so once they start asking questions about it the sith become aware of the lightsabre's existance and being chasing them for it.

6. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    In TFA I think the Lightsaber sequence was worked into the Rey flashback but when they cut down Maz that went with it.

The leaks described someone buying the Lightsaber and accidentally starting a fire too, which was probably a flashback in Rey's vision.

7. relapse5127

relapse5127 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    In a way I am happy that the Maz sequences were cut out of the movie, Personally I just didn't think she fit into the movie at all, her character was easily the worst of the new characters introduced and she reminded me a character who would have fit better in the pod racing scene in TPM than she did in TFA. I think CGI might have been the main problem as there was something noticeably vanilla and unlikable about the character.

Once I saw the movie and actually saw the character I definitely think there was truth to the rumour that JJ pretty much took as much of her as he could out of the movie because the voice and character just didn't work.

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    The omission of the New Republic scene with Kor Sella and the Senate was a mistake, IMO. A short scene dramatically laying out the galactic stakes was needed, and Hux's line to Snoke was not nearly enough. Essentially, I found the lack of a scene like this disturbing:

9. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Can anyone hazard a guess on total run time of footage produced for trailers and Not shown in movie plus footage produced for movie and not shown in movie. Seems like this re-introduction to the franchise could have had two parts to do it correctly.

10. jaxxxxx

jaxxxxx Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2015
    Disney will follow the Lucas playbook and release the movies again in the future with deleted scenes and remastering. They will try to milk it as much as possible.

11. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    i hope so, for me this film desperately needs an extended cut.

12. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I wouldn't say "desperately," as it's a great little movie, IMO. But it could certainly benefit from both some breathing space between set-pieces, and a better build up/set up for key events, including Starkiller, Snoke and the destruction of the Republic capital. I hope JJ breaks with tradition, and goes the LOTR route of extended editions.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  13. ErikBridger

ErikBridger Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 3, 2014

Pablo Hidalgo tweeted today that that person with the hat in the flashback was NOT constable zuivio.

Lord Thomas and Vohnkar like this.
  14. Mick RcCallum

Mick RcCallum Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 14, 2015
    Reading this thread reminds me of the old days of AOTC and ROTS (Padme's family, Lost Twenty, Mon Mothma & Friends, etc.). Multiple deleted scenes that i was bummed to discover got cut. Of course when we actually got to see those scenes they were largely terrible so it was probably for the best.

Specific to this movie, i just opened a pack of cards and pulled a Kor Sella. Wait, who was she again? And then i read the back of the card and recalled that Senate bit, the array, the sledgehammer, etc. So now I am bummed out again, thinking the movie was "missing" stuff...but I am going to give JJ the benefit of the doubt on these deleted scenes; I assume TFA is better for the subtractions.

Vohnkar likes this.
  15. CheelBackFromTheDead

CheelBackFromTheDead Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    Personally, I've already had enough with the original trilogy existing in like 10 different versions. As imperfect as TFA may be, I love it as it is. It reflects the tough choices JJ had to make. So what if a whole character got cut ? You're not supposed to know that, so you shouldn't be bothered by it. Instead, you should wonder why JJ had to cut it. A movie is about pacing and boiling it down to what's essential. Tons and tons of stuff get lost in the process. Having access to leaked material doesn't mean one understands what's in the best interest of the movie. I don't think anything about TFA is rushed, and I don't miss any character that doesn't appear because I never expected him to.

DustingCropsBoy_ likes this.
  16. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    Hopefully when they come out with the DVD it has extra 30mins to an hour of content of deleted material.

By the way. .this was another scene edited or cut...Kylo dueling in the Starkiller forest with mask on

[​IMG]

17. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    That was a publicity photo, I think. Kylo takes his mask off on the bridge where he kills Han, and leaves it there.

11-4D likes this.
  18. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    I know what he does with his helmet but earlier duel photos showed him with the helmet. Like the famous one from the 1st trailer with him walking thru the forest then igniting the cross saber.. It's cool tho

19. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    JJ says in an interview with Collider Video that the first cut was about 20 minutes longer (2hrs30-40), and we may see about 10-20 minutes of deleted scenes on the bluray.

20. Kajash

Kajash Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2002
    Great to hear.

21. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Not so great to hear. I want an extended version, not deleted scenes in the "extras" menu.

22. Kajash

Kajash Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2002

It's not possible in every case. There are reshoots, expositions that happen elsewhere. But cutting together an extended version won't be too complicated for a fan who's an editor. I'm sure it'll happen.

23. magmd

magmd Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2003
    yeah, unfortunately...I feel like the version of ep7 that I really was hoping to see, will come from a fan edit that gets a hold of the extras/bonus content.

24. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    It would seem to be a no-brainer business decision for Lucasfilm to release extended cuts. I wish that interviewer had asked the question!

25. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004

They spliced that line in the trailer. I think Maz asked Finn "who are you?" ...and Rey told BB-8 "I'm no one" right when they met.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.