main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA does not connect correctly with other Star Wars films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_HAL9000, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_HAL9000

Darth_HAL9000 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    TFA is nice, I really loved the movie. But it seems that it does not connect correctly with other Star Wars films, and more particularly with the second trilogy (TPM, AOTC, ROTS). I have 2 points:

#1- "you refer to the one who'll bring balance to the Force". Before ROTS, everything was nice and perfect with the Old Republic and the Jedi Council. Over 1000 years of peace. With Palpatine, we had approximately 30 years of Dark Force and Evil. Finally, the prophecy has come true: Anakin kills Sidious, and "brings balance to the Force".
    So, I would expect at least 1000 years of peace after that.... not 30 years! With other Siths (or whatever you call it), i.e Kilo Ran and Snoke, that want to rule the galaxy again with Dark Force, the prophecy just seems useless... as well as the whole story (tragedy) of Anakin Skywalker.
    #2- Han Solo says that Ben has too much Vader in him. He probably means the "Dark Side of Anakin". I though that the whole idea of the prequels was to show that Anakin was in fact a real good guy, that have been betrayed by false promises of Sidious, and the Dark Side. Finally, Anakin is not so good?
    What do you think?

Iverna likes this.
  2. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    TFA doesn't have any effect on Anakin/Vader's actions in bringing balance to the Force because the way he brought balance was to destroy the Sith, and Snoke and Kylo Ren aren't Sith.

All Sith are/were Dark Side users, but not all Dark Side users are were Sith.

3. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I still think balance means having both the Light and the Dark side. That's why Lor San Tekka says that there can't be balance without the Jedi, since there are mainly Dark side users present.

4. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    #1 -- I think any peace over the past 30 years was tenuous at best.

#2 -- Han Solo has his own ideas about how things work and the line is coming from him alone. Anakin Skywalker was very immature when Darth Sidious seduced him to the dark side. Ben Solo was and is very immature, Snoke was able to exploit that weakness as Sidious did Anakin. Anakin Skywalker was a good guy, he just needed special guidance that the only Jedi Master who could give it to him (Qui-Gon Jinn) was dead. Obi-Wan Kenobi was too young (and naïve) at the time, and Darth Sidious exploited these facts all too well.

Matthaeus Sunrider likes this.
  5. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    You are unequivocally wrong. Canon specifically states that Anakin brought balance to the Force by destroying the Sith.

solo77 likes this.
  6. stakex

stakex Jedi Master

May 31, 2005
    Anakin might have redeemed himself at the very end, but I would imagine it would be VERY hard for Han and Leia to get past the horrible person he was for several decades. Their entire lives he was a dark lord who helped the emperor rule the Galaxy with an iron fist, and they witnessed first hand many of his atrocities. Not everything is forgivable in some peoples eyes, and it sounds (reasonably enough) like Han and Leia have not excused Anakin for his actions, no matter what he did with the last 15 minutes of his life.

Even if they did forgive Anakin, Darth Vader was still very much part of him... so that statement could easily have been used in a metaphorical way.

7. EvacuateMomentofTriumph

EvacuateMomentofTriumph Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I mean it's basically a reboot so they can take alot of liberties with the Lucas cannon.

8. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    You keep using that word. It does not mean what you think it means.

9. Sunbloom

Sunbloom Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2015
    I wonder, if they wanted a reboot, why didn't they have enough courage to indeed set the new trilogy 1000 years from the OT with new heroes and new stories? If that had some success they could have made prequels to cover that 1000 years :D

10. mute90

mute90 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2012
    1) It was never clear what 'balance to the force' means. It might have meant Sith, and Anakin did what he was supposed to do. It might have meant more, the force still isn't in balance, and Anakin will appear later in the ST to set it right. After all, the OT never said for sure that the balance was restored. Nobody knew about it in the OT. The story of Anakin isn't exactly over either. If people looked at the PT and OT as the rise and fall of Darth Vader, the ST is the legacy of Vader.

2) That line about having too much Vader came from Han, the guy Darth Vader had tortured. I don't think Han would have ever seen the good in Vader. Leia probably didn't either. Just Luke. That doesn't negate Anakin not being evil incarnate, it just stays true to Han's character.

11. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013

12. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Which movie stated that?

ArchStanton1862 and Drewton like this.
  13. Matthaeus Sunrider

Jan 26, 2013
    I wonder, if they wanted a reboot, why didn't they have enough courage to indeed set the new trilogy 1000 years from the OT with new heroes and new stories? If that had some success they could have made prequels to cover that 1000 years :D[/quote]

They didn't want a reboot, they wanted a continued story...

14. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Revenge of the Sith

15. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Hell, Anakin might not even be the chosen one after all. Yoda once says that the prophecy could have been misread also. The prophecy is never outright explained anyways. What does it mean to bring balance to the force? We don't know more than it involves the Sith being destroyed. There could be more to it.

And I don't think Han ever brings up Anakin at all. He instead talks about Vader. Also, Han is the kind of guy that would be more untrusting of the force than the average guy I would think. Considering all that's happened.

Twain likes this.
  16. Matthaeus Sunrider

Jan 26, 2013
    Yeah I don't remember anything other than maybe a quote from Lucas himself.

17. Matthaeus Sunrider

Jan 26, 2013
    I agree with some of the first part of your post but not the second. About Han this movie shows us how much he has come to terms with the Force because of his experience.

18. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Dialogue directly from RotS:
    Obi-Wan Kenobi - "You Were The Chosen One!!! It Was Said That You Would Destroy The Sith, Not Join Them!!! Bring Balance To The Force, Not Leave It In Darkness!!!"

zompusbite likes this.
  19. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    Maybe we're going to find out that Anakin wasn't the Chosen One after all...

20. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    No it didn't. Destroying the Sith being part of the prophecy is just the Jedi's interpretation. I doubt the Sith were name dropped in an ancient prophecy.

21. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    Anybody that thinks the downfall of a galactic-wide empire is going to be cleaned up all tidy in just 30 years is delusional. Realistically, the cleanup from something as disastrous and corrupt as the Empire should take centuries.

By the way, isn't there an official complaints thread? Mods, why do we have so many complaint threads?

zompusbite and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  22. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014

Exactly.

The prophecy is generalized and vague -- never explained. The ST might turn the prophecy completely on its head from what viewers currently believe, as nothing canonical ever established what it actually was talking about. Luke could be the real Chosen One, or Rey. Or BB-8.

The ST can do pretty much what it wants in that department. It can also just not reference it at all.

23. Sunbloom

Sunbloom Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2015
    Episode IX: Oops, we chose it again?

RobShanti likes this.
  24. Matthaeus Sunrider

Jan 26, 2013
    Anakin was the seed and also from ROTS Yoda says that the prophecy may have been misread.

mdtauk likes this.
  25. Matthaeus Sunrider

Jan 26, 2013
    Episode IX: Oops, we chose it again?[/quote]

Terrible idea...[face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.