main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA does not connect correctly with other Star Wars films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_HAL9000, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Return of the Jedi establishes that the prophecy wasn't misread because Anakin did exactly what he was prophesied to do (as laid out by Obi-Wan in the dialogue I posted above), and nothing about TFA changes that.

2. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    Unless Snoke is Plagueis the Sith weren't all destroyed.

3. magmd

magmd Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2003
    Well, if we want to be technical...he kinda left it out of balance @ ROTJ by leaving Luke alive. He wiped out most of the light side users, and most of the dark side users. Unless, well...there is Snoke. He clearly looks older than 30 years old, so must have been present somewhere in GFFA at the time of ROTJ. So, maybe by eliminating everyone except Luke and Snoke--we do get balance--to fight it out at a future time.

4. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Snoke is not Plagueis.

Dory Vader likes this.
  5. Matthaeus Sunrider

Jan 26, 2013
    I wonder though in a galaxy this big was that the only prophecy ever prophesized?

6. Matthaeus Sunrider

Jan 26, 2013
    Say for arguement Snoke is not Plagueis he is still a dark side user. As long as the both sides of the Force exist you will always have conflict between the two and without the Force Star Wars isn't that good at all.

7. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    I saw somewhere that there was a piece of new Canon that suggested that Rey is herself the subject of a prophecy, but I don't know what the source for that claim is.

Like I said, the prophecy was never about the Light Side and the Dark Side existing in harmony; it was about restoring a balance by wiping out the Sith.

8. Doc Monadnock

Doc Monadnock Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015

The prequels reveal the dark side inherent in Anakin. He wasn't simply used by Palpatine. Watch AOTC. We see Anakin's frustration with parliamentary politics (on the Jedi Council and in the Senate) before Palpatine influences him. His massacre of the Tusken Raiders foreshadows his massacre of the Jedi. He's arrogant and capricious, nad has an obsession with order and stability as the solution to his own inner demons. These are precisely the qualities that Ben Solo has.

Matthaeus Sunrider likes this.
  9. Matthaeus Sunrider

Jan 26, 2013
    But the darksides very nature is always looking to overpower the light. By the very nature of the darkside balance is impossible. Destroying the Sith alone would not bring the Force into balance.

10. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    According to you.

Official Canon says otherwise, though.

11. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    It's very simple: if you take the prophecy to mean no more dark side users, ever, then you don't get more Star Wars post ROTJ.

12. mute90

mute90 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2012

Which makes clear the Jedi interpretation of the prophecy. It does not, however, state the actual prophecy. The fact Yoda thought it might have been misread implies there was more ambiguity to it.

Matthaeus Sunrider likes this.
  13. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    The end of Return of the Jedi establishes that Yoda was wrong about the prophecy possibly having been misread because Anakin does exactly what the prophecy said he would: restore balance by destroying the Sith (Palpatine and himself).

14. Matthaeus Sunrider

Jan 26, 2013
    Thank you!

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay you said second trilogy and then mentioned the PT. That is the FIRST trilogy. It was just released second.

TFA is meant to connect with the OT.

And it did so terrifically.

16. mute90

mute90 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2012

Except that was never confirmed in the movie. It was assumed that Anakin did what he was supposed to do because it fit Yoda's interpretation in the prequels. That assumption does not make it a fact.

17. Matthaeus Sunrider

Jan 26, 2013
    Where does it say destroying the Sith will bring balance? Especially if the Jedi in TPM believed the Sith were extinct to begin with, and the Force is already out of balance.

18. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    And the prequels don't fit with many details of the original trilogy. That's just life as a star wars fan. You'll get used to it someday.

AndyLGR likes this.
  19. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Kylo Ren and Snoke are not Sith, so TFA does nothing to invalidate the Canonical resolution of the Chosen One prophecy.

AndyLGR likes this.
  20. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Of course it doesn't connect correctly. How could it when it effectively undoes most of the previous trilogy so it can do the same thing?

21. Darth_HAL9000

Darth_HAL9000 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    Yeah, right. Thanks. Which means that it is quite surprising that Anakin deserves to be with Obiwan and Yoda (in spirit ghost) at the end of ROTJ. I should now post this subject on this forum...

22. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    And because of all this, I think this whole Chosen One thing will be ditched as something or someone who can bring the Force into balance, because it was too unclear.

AndyLGR likes this.
  23. Sunbloom

Sunbloom Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2015
    Typo was in prophecy, misread it Yoda did.

24. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    This is why I hate the "prophecy." The idea of how balance is brought to the Force is so subjective and not even close to explained in the films.

25. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I think you'll have a long search finding people that really think they know or care what that thing is really about. As much as I cannot stand JJ Abram's mystery box - and two wrongs do not make a right - one would be well within their critical freedom to say that Lucas played the Mystery Box card with the prophecy of the One.

One thing that occurs to me about balance in the Force can be taken back to Yoda speaking to Luke: "LUKE Vader. Is the dark side stronger? YODA No... no... no. Quicker, easier, more seductive." Well that's Yoda's possibly ideologically-driven testimony that didn't get caught by the trial lawyers. And then there's Monsieur Sheev Palpatine's very animated testimony, "PALPATINE: Power! Unlimited power!" So which of these opinions is more correct? I'm going to go out on an Ewok branch and observe that Palpatine seems to have had results that are more consistent with his philosophy. And Yoda has the somewhat damp and tropical comfort of his integrity.

So, going by the data, it is easier to do evil in or using the Force than to do good, and so that is one apparent lack of parity or 'balance'. Can you somehow "make" the Force harder to do evil in or with? Can you alter the Force? Lucas started this thing. It's an interesting thing. There are not a lot of people who really have mathematically closed theories on what is going on. It's an open question. It could in the right hands be blown open into full awesome. (I have no clue how.)

Winged_Jedi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.