main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA DVD/Blu-ray Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by shine, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Can anyone tell me if the new extras are included in the disc or if are they digital?
    Thanks in advance.

2. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006

I believe it's both.

Giovs likes this.
  3. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I liked it too. Plus it played off the OT :)

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  4. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    is the JJ audio commentary also included when I play the 2D version? I mean I have a 3D bluray player, but only 2D HD TV, so???

5. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016

The commentary is on the 2D disc.

nightangel likes this.
  6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

Martoto77 likes this.
  7. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I just want to vent a liitle bit here: Disney Brazil is mess.

It is a shame that they only released the 3D disk in a simple case. We got no extras, no commentary track, no collector box, nothing;

It is really stupid given that we are in the worldwide top 8 countries revenue-wise for TFA (and we would be higher if not for an unfavorable exchange rate in Dec/2015 - with today's exchange rates, we would be in the top 5)

Diego Lucas likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I got confused and thought Disney bought the rights to Terry Gilliam's 1985 masterpiece.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  9. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Who are the other top 7? US? UK? Who else?

10. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    US is of course #1, I was talking about non-DOM Box Office.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Star-Wars-Ep-VII-The-Force-Awakens#tab=international

Top 10 International:
    United Kingdom
    China
    Germany
    Japan
    France
    Australia
    Spain
    Brazil
    Italy
    Mexico

11. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    I still can't believe how bare bones the DVD is it makes me feel so much nostalgia for the PT era where DVD's would gets its own disc devoted solely to special features.

12. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Just wait for the Sequel Trilogy case in 3 and half years

13. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    And then the Collector's Edition case a few years later. Then the 9 film saga set. And so on...

14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    And in fairness, the 3D set is pretty extensive. And it does have a bonus disc. I don't know how much more you need, really.

thejeditraitor and Ricardo Funes like this.
  15. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

They still do that; it's just that it's a Blu-Ray thing. It's just an upgraded version of how things were back then; barebones VHS and deluxe DVDs. Now, the VHS has been phased out, so it's a barebones DVD and deluxe Blu-Ray. Same style of release, just different formats for the two kinds.

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, the DVD release is a joke. A lot of big movies still have special features on the DVD, but not Star Wars apparently.

17. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Not really, it's becoming a common trend to make DVDs the barebones release. Case in point, most DVDs nowadays only have one bonus feature. There are also others that have none, like Captain America: Civil War. Personally, I don't like it, but it's hardly something that Star Wars is doing alone.

Prisic Duskleap and cerealbox like this.
  18. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    There are still some studios that put special features on DVDs Universal is one example as they do still put a decent dose of special features on their DVD releases. It is becoming a rare thing though which does bug me. I think DVD/BD and even the new 4k bluray formats can exist together just fine just like how cds still coexist with digital music. DVDs can hold a decent amount of special features there is no reason to release bare bones dvds and charge $20.

19. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Despite them trying to add more extra features to the blu ray release than the DVD they still can't kill it off. The DVD is still the most readily available format here in the UK. I'm not sure if its the intention to phase out the DVD over time, but it doesn't seem like it right now.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  20. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

I'm sure they can't wait to push DVD out the door now they have VHS out of the way. Have to keep people buying new stuff.

21. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Considering how many people tell me in person that they have no interest in bonus features, making ofs etc, and express amazement at anyone wishing to "demystify" the experience by peeking behind the curtain, it does not surprise me that many viewers are not influenced by the lack of additional features on DVD compared with BD.

22. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    I really don't understand people spending a lot of money in 1080p LED TVs and not buying a Bluray player.

I mean, people who buy DVD today, it is not possible for them to still use CRT TVs, as the analog broadcasts are being shut down all around the world.

smoothkaz likes this.
  23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    DVDs still look great on smaller TVs. I have a 22 inch TV, and DVDs don't look bad at all on it.

24. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Hey, general question and I thought it'd be a good idea to ask here.

Is blu-ray really that much better than regular DVD? I don't have a blu-ray player but I've thought of buying one so I can buy the six-movie Star Wars saga.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It looks much better, especially on larger TVs... DVDs have 480p (480 progressive scanned lines of resolution) while Blu-rays have 1080p. 480 is not HD, but 1080 is. So your TV would also have to be a full HD 1080p TV, which most are now anyway. Also, the newer TVs are often 4K, which is often referred to as Ultra HD. Now there are also Ultra HD Blu-rays and Blu-ray players available too. The sound on Blu-rays is better too. Much of this improvement in picture and sound is because Blu-rays can store a lot more information on one disc. They are also more scratch resistant than DVD discs.

As far as a player goes, Blu-ray players are a good idea either way because they will also play DVDs, and most will upconvert the resolution to "near HD" levels (so you wouldn't have to go back and replace all your movies any time soon).

On that last note, I still don't have the PT or OT on Blu-ray... I still have them all on DVD. TFA I have on Blu-ray, though, because once I got a Blu-ray player I bought Blu-ray discs from that point on.