main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA DVD/Blu-ray Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by shine, Dec 18, 2015.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

I like getting new stuff in BluRay form as much as possible (to keep it current longer), but as long as the players can play DVDs, I don't think that there's that great a difference between the two, in terms of just sitting down to enjoy a movie.

2. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
  3. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

No prob.

4. Force of Light

Force of Light Jedi Master star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    I updraded last year when I got my grandmother's old HDTV (though I'm not sure if it's full HD, it may only be half, I'll have to check on the screen the next time I watch a Blu-ray), and I agree with what somebody else said about the sound. Case in point: Jurassic World. On the DVD (I have the 3D Blu-ray/DVD combo pack in a collectible tin, mostly because it was a couple of dollars cheaper than the regular 3D Blu-ray/DVD combo pack with the lenticular cover, which is usually what I end up buying) you can hardly hear the announcer in Jurassic World welcoming guests to the island. On the Blu-ray, it's as loud as it was in the theater. I bought a 3D Blu-ray player (at Best Buy, since it was cheaper than the 2D one) so that I don't have to rebuy the Blu-ray player when I finally can afford a 3D HDTV. Thanks to my grandmother, I saved about $600.00 or so (depending on the size of the screen, and I think it's about a 29 inch), since the Blu-ray player only cost me about $80.00 or so (on sale from $125.00, since I bought it after Christmas). Don't forget the HDMI cable, which was only about $30.00. I decided to upgrade to Blu-ray when I realized I would have to buy more cables to connect my old DVD player to my grandmother's old HDTV, so I found it would easier to upgrade than buy more cables.:)

5. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Anyone with a TV more than 32" and doesn't sit more than 8 feet away from it is mad if they think that there's little difference between DVD and Blu Ray.

Never mind the lower definition, you're using the scart or composite video connection, which is 30-50 years old now.

It's usually people that don't have the equipment necessary to make a comparison that claim there's no difference.

Artoo-Dion and Strongbow like this.
  6. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    In fact, we all should upgrade to 4K, not because of the extra resolution, but because 4K has a much larger color space than DVD and Bluray.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  7. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

A bluray on an oled tv would look better.

8. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    4K color space vs Bluray color space:

[​IMG]

9. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Ricardo Funes Far superior blacks on oled tv make a bigger difference than slightly more colours on a 4k TV smaller than 60".

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I actually have found that the blu-ray versions I've upgraded to of older movies I had on DVD look quite better and much improved. The colors are richer and the sharpness, lighting and detail is noticeably improved. In fact, there were some films where the blu ray version allowed me to see detail in the picture I COULDN'T see before on DVD. There are many, but the first one that comes to mind is in Kingdom of Heaven. The face on King Baldwin's silver mask actually has a gotee around the mouth. I know it's a minor thing, but a perfect example of something I could not even see before. Another example is the control consoles in Star Trek films-I can now actually read the words and numbers that show on the panels. The SW blu rays also look quite abit better than the DVD versions IMO as well-much crisper and clearer, with better coloring; deeper blacks, whiter whites and a more vivid color palette.

Although blu ray level resolution is less noticeable in a more character-centric film, like...A Few Good Men, or in a fast moving action film like...the Bourne films, more visually oriented or effects rich films with lots of wide shots, scenery or visually complex shots really make good use of the sharper detail. Certain superhero films, animated movies, historical epics, and fantasy/sci-fi films (like LOTR and SW) are the places where the enhanced picture quality will really shine.

I also am in agreeance that 4K resolution is even better. It takes these points and steps them up even a few more notches.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    There are some problems, though. Such as the cartoonishly excessive DNR on TPM and the teal push on AOTC.

Howard Hand and DARTH_BELO like this.
  12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I feel you on the whole DNR thing on TPM. But I guess for me the tradeoff of the better color palette (the pink hue is gone) and sharper image makes up for it somewhat. (Not to mention the impressively realistic-looking CG Yoda.)

As far as AOTC, I actually kind of like the teal hue a little bit. It gives the overall color scheme a bit more of a gritty tone. I've always felt that visuals in AOTC looked abit too polished, and to much of a video game-esque glossed-over feel to it. IMO the teal hue kind of tones that down and softens the colors abit.

13. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Aww.. the reviews thread has been locked so there's nowhere else to put this.

The Radio Times gave The Force Awakens gave its highest recommendation and five stars for Christmas Day viewing. [​IMG][face_dancing] [​IMG]

14. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    I bought the origina Blu Ray when it came, the one with the steelbook.

[​IMG]

I actually felt kinda ripped off with that new Blu-ray 3D "collector's edition" of the film that was released on November 15. It is a must buy? The new deleted scenes are worth checking?

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    They're okay. Nothing earth shattering.

BadCane and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  16. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    i got the target edition of TFA when it first was released. i didnt know it was cardboard/paper at first but the cover design is cool

17. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Yeah, I loved that cover. If it hadn't been for the crap paper "case," I would've gotten that instead of the regular release that came in a real case.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  18. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    WebLurker WELL, the problem is that when i preordered the target edition, they didnt tell us it was a paper cover. When i got it, it was just a"shrug" moment, didnt really get disappointed - just wished it was a hard cover. i saw many complaints on the target website about it a being paper cover

19. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Yeah, I really don't do preorders. Good thing that it didn't bother you as much as it would've me. If it had been stiff cardboard in a slipcase with plastic disc wells glued in (like the Star Trek Fan Collective DVDs were or what I think the 3D TFA release is), I would've been onboard.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I was bored a while ago and decided to play around in Photoshop a bit, so I designed a DVD cover for TFA inspired by the style of the OT and PT DVDs that were released in the mid '00s.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

21. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    No Leia or Chewie? No Falcon? :p

(Other than that, it's pretty sweet! :D )

TCF-1138 likes this.
  22. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Really good, but the Falcon should have been there.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Thanks guys! I tried putting the Falcon in there, but it just didn't look right. Settled for an X-Wing instead :)

24. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Could that be printed by someone who wanted to customize their DVD set or something?

(I like that cover a lot more than the official one.)

Prisic Duskleap and TCF-1138 like this.
  25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm glad you like it :D
    Well, the resolution might be too low for that to look good (I didn't consider that anyone would want to print it). I'll check the original files and upload the best possible version - sharpened for print and all [face_peace]

Prisic Duskleap likes this.