main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA DVD/Blu-ray Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by shine, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I have lost count of my viewings, but I have other more important issue to take care of: I have several copies of SW movies in all types of media. I should stop doing this. But only after I buy TFA in 3D and then the box with EP 1-9. :)

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    8 times in theatre, 3 times blu-ray. there were also some semi-skip forward watches (Which I wouldn't count as full viewings, just skimming through the flick) in the months from December to March from a source some consider to be ... unnatural.

Actually my last viewing in June was about 20 minutes of the film DVD copy while away from home, about 40 minutes on iPod classic (Which I ripped from the DVD) while at the gym and the rest of it on Blu Ray when I got home. So I've definitely gotten usage out of that "bonus DVD" that comes with it. Probably more than most!

3. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    1 in theatre. 3D IMAX, it was awesome!! It was my birthday :)
    8 times for the DVD, 3 times with the closed caption :) I could never understand what Snoke was saying.
    3 times bluray with surround sound.

I definitely got my $20 worth :). And will probably watch it bunches more. Lol

Ricardo Funes and EHT like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    oh I loved the captions! There's more than a few lines I didn't pick up until I turned on the subs (the biggest one was Poe calling Kylo's mask an "apparatus" which is kind of obscured by some sound FX at that point.)

Ricardo Funes and Master of None like this.
  5. AllyoftheForce

AllyoftheForce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2016
    I've seen TFA 5 times in theaters, 3 times at home.

6. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I saw it twice in IMAX 3D, once in a 2d theatrical showing, and three times at home on Bly-Ray.

7. AllyoftheForce

AllyoftheForce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2016
    Fyi, the first two times were within 24 hours of it's release lol.

8. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    saw the movie twice in theaters, december 16th and then on the 18th. didn't watch it again until march 24th when it came out online. got the blu-ray on april 26th so i watched it then, and i watched it again earlier this week. so, five times.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  9. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Unfortunately in Osaka the only IMAX version was 4D. Annoying as hell and didn't leave much to the imagination. The first time in 2D was great. Then in 3D was incredible in part as it was my first ever 3D film. I watched it in 3D a second time before the miserable 4D experience. I've yet to watch in DVD or Blue Ray.

10. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

4D is awful. All 4D systems we have in my city are based on RealD (darker).

I guess 4D is just cool if you watched TFA several times and want something different for a new viewing.

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I suppose I'll chime in and say I've seen it 3 times in theaters (first time in IMAX 3D, and the rest in 2D) and 4 times on blu-ray.

I will say that I quite enjoy the visual quality of the blu-ray. Certain environments/effects (mainly scenes in space) have more color and appear more clearly/vividly. An example of this is the opening pan-down shot: the moon of Jakku looks much more clear and colorful, and even details of the underside of the Star Destroyer covering the screen there can be seen, dimly.

I'd imagine much of this could be due to my settings on my TV, which is also THX certified. But still it looks way better quality-wise than in theatres.

I did enjoy the special features as well. The deleted scenes were enjoyable, but most of them-with the exception of maybe two-I could see why they were left out. I was also surprised there weren't more, considering some talk about certain scenes they mentioned didn't make it into the film...I guess the only thing I'd have liked to see (but I guess I could see why they didn't put this on) is something about how this script differs from Lucas' original treatment he gave them for VII. It would've been interesting to know the differences.

12. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Will The Prequels And The Force Awakens Be Released In A 5-Disc 3D Blu-ray Set This Year?

Word comes our way via an article posted on The Digital Bits (via Making Star Wars) that we could see a 5-disc Blu-ray box set containing the 3D release of each film from the Prequels as well as The Force Awakens and an exclusive bonus content disc sometime later this year. Here is what TDB has heard...
    The latest from our retail and industry sources is that Disney and Lucasfilm are considering a 5-disc Blu-ray 3D box set, which would include The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, and The Force Awakens – all in Blu-ray 3D format – along with a fifth disc of exclusive bonus content. The release date would presumably be in time for the holidays this year, and likely timed to promote the theatrical release of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story on 12/16.

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=27688

13. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    That would be AMAZING! I have seen ROTS in 3-D at Star Wars Celebration and holy cow, it was a great transfer. It was simply amazing.

I saw TFA 41 times in theaters, I'm somewhat infamous around here for that. I have seen it only once at home, to be fully honest. I don't enjoy seeing it in 2D as much, I really want the full experience of 3-D. I'm watching it with my girlfriend's 6-year-old brother in about two weeks for his first time, and I'm looking forward to that. I would have watched it again recently except I figured I'd wait for him.

I just recently upgraded to 7.1 surround sound, adding 2 towers for my back speakers and moving my bookshelf speakers to side speakers. It was a $7,000 wireless HD (Klipsch) surround system, but it's pretty remarkable and sounds fantastic. I am looking forward to re-watching all of the SW movies with the new system specs.

DARTH_BELO and Ricardo Funes like this.
  14. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    lately I have been watching TFA on VUDU on my smart TV streaming, to save where and tear on my Blu-Ray and player...

I watch on VUDO for free with code from TFA Blu-ray digital copy!

thejeditraitor likes this.
  15. VadersFollower

VadersFollower Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 18, 2011
    The fact that theres still no release date for the 3d version is frustrating. As a major fan of 3d, i feel like Im watching a black and white version of the movie after seeing it in color

16. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    There’s a new Blu-ray for Star Wars: The Force Awakens coming — this time with a commentary track by J.J. Abrams and some never-before-seen deleted sequences.
    The four-disc “3D Collector’s Edition” will begin rolling out overseas on Oct. 31 and will be released in North America on Nov. 15, Lucasfilm announced Wednesday.
    Along with the theatrical release and audio commentary, which wasn’t part of the original Blu-ray debut, the new set will also feature the “classic bonus features” from the discs released last spring.
    Here’s what else will be in the new collection:
    • A look at how sound technicians blend action with audio effects in the featurette Foley: A Sonic Tale.
    • Sounds of the Resistance, another audio themed doc showing how the sound designers blended real recordings into otherworldly effects in the film.
    • Deleted Scenes – While there were a handful of deleted footage on the original Blu-ray, this one promises even more “never-before-shared” scenes.
    • Dressing the Galaxy – A look at how wardrobe designs from the original trilogy were retooled by costume designer Michael Kaplan to fit the galaxy three decades later.
    • Daisy Ridley and John Boyega share a conversation in The Scavenger and the Stormtrooper, a featurette that was released only on the previous disc as an exclusive at Target stores.
    • Inside the Armory – A tour of the various weapons and battle gear in the battle between the Resistance and The First Order.
    http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/10/star-wars-force-awakens-new-blu-ray-jj-abrams-commentary [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]

17. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
  18. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  19. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Come on, it hasn't even been a full year since the Blu-ray release, let alone the theatrical release of TFA. This just makes the first home release feel pointless and cheap. I am staying far away from this new set.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The packaging looks cool, but I don't think I'd buy another version of TFA anytime soon. I don't have a 3D Blu-ray player/TV anyway.

22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's beautiful!

Now, let's just hope they release a Collector's Edition DVD as well, with some actual special features this time. [face_thinking]

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Something went wrong I'm pretty sure I was the first to post that! :p

24. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Does it also contain a 2d version? I can't see the U.K. In the release schedule either.

25. Sithblade11

Sithblade11 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    Just wait for the eventual super duper deluxe complete trilogy box set in a few years time.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Force Smuggler likes this.