main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA DVD/Blu-ray Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by shine, Dec 18, 2015.

1. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I hope people will upload the extras to Youtube this time. Still only **** quality ones from the first bluray

2. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014
    Gonna quote this on a thread I saw about the Unkar Plutt scene:

"So the heroes go to a cantina to smuggle the droids to the rebellion. Main hero gets bullied in the cantina and the bully gets his arm removed. Wonder where that came from."

Visivious Drakarn and ewoksimon like this.
  3. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I don't know if it's exactly fair to criticise a film for a scene that isn't even in the movie.

4. PodracingSkywalker

Apr 1, 2014
    It was written, shot, edited. It's still poor and derivative, as is the other 99% of the movie

Visivious Drakarn and TetsuAero like this.
  5. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

We now have a new type of hater... a hater that is trolling so much, that he manages to hate deleted scenes.

6. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    ... Aaaaaand they cut it out, so what does it matter.

Good to see that skilled observation of the characters and many of the ...er... events of the movie coming through as well.

7. PodracingSkywalker

Apr 1, 2014
    Lol not really. If there is something that is dumb, and they decide to shoot it, it is still dumb. It'd be the exact same if it was something good they actually filmed. Not sure why this rubs people the wrong way, but oh well. C'est Star Wars fandom.

8. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Even the best movies have scenes that were shot that in hindsight may seem ill-conceived. Editing is where you discover the story that the film wants to tell, and so a scene that seemed completely appropriate in the shooting script may turn out to be redundant, thematically mismatched, contradictory, etc. with the film as edited.

"This deleted scene is bad" is praise, not criticism. It represents an ability to let the film evolve. "It was written and shot" as criticism only reveals ignorance of the filmmaking process.

TX-20, TCF-1138 , CEB and 3 others like this.
  9. PodracingSkywalker

Apr 1, 2014
    Not really praise, yeah they made a good decision in cutting a bad scene, but the film is riddled with them (don't worry guys, it's just my opinion, and also In before TPM SUCKS AND IS FULL OF BAD SCENES TOO!), so to me cutting one bad scene in place of another isn't really praise. Also, thank you for calling me ignorant in filmmaking, as that was very much my main point of focus at my Alma mater :)

10. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    So in other words, you used the deleted scene as a platform to just launch into "TFA sucks" mode, which isn't even relevant to this thread. Good for you.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, this is not one of the threads where criticisms of the movie go... please stay on topic.

12. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Man, I find Back To The Future completely unwatchable. That whole thing of the time machine being a fridge was sooooo stupid. I mean, sure, for the script they actually shot from they replaced it with a delorean, but it still shows how dumb it is.

On topic though; I'm upset by the release strategy with this new set. I get that Star Wars is a moneymaking juggernaut and I'm fine with that, so long as the hardcore fans are given enough info to make informed choices.
    All that the releasing of various extras over staggered releases actually does is nudge people towards piracy

13. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015

"It's like poetry. It rhymes."

Oh, I forgot, when the person making the poetry isn't George Lucas, it's "derivative." When he does it, it's "art."

As for me, I'm probably going to pick up the new edition for the extras alone. I have no interest in the 3D part of it, not until they can invent a 3D that doesn't require heavy glasses or give me motion sickness.

Ricardo Funes and DarthCricketer like this.
  14. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    So what was the reason for the Unkar scenes/subplot being deleted?

From what i saw in the preview the cgi wasn't finished, so time constraints?

15. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

This happens because the scene did not help to move the plot forward, and also interrupts the moment where Rey is hearing the call from the Force.
    If a scene is not moving the plot forward, it is a candidate to be cut.

JediLight and TCF-1138 like this.
  16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  17. TetsuAero

Jan 24, 2008
    Is that the official reason?

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It's the way it always work on a movie.

JediLight and Ricardo Funes like this.
  19. TetsuAero

Jan 24, 2008
    Not necessarily. Captain America Civil War is one example.

20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I have no idea what that means (not a Marvel fan), but as a general rule the first things to go go for pacing reasons, and/or because it doesn't move the plot along.
    It's obviously not the only reason to leave a scene on the cutting room floor, but it's the most common. In this case, judging by the clip, I'd say it's the reason. But who knows - maybe something Rian Johnson wanted for Episode 8 didn't mesh with it, and that's why it had to go.

JediLight and Ricardo Funes like this.
  21. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I won't buy it mainly because I want 3D to go away. It has nothing to do with my thoughts on the movie.

My thoughts are still missing btw. Way to help me here guys. I mean, jeez.

TX-20 likes this.
  23. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I love the Back to the future Trilogy!

especially the first two but I really liked the third one as well! they are just fun goofy films IMHO! my mom introduced the film to me and my sisters when I was 7 back in the late 80's we loved it!

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  24. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Ricardo Funes likes this.
  25. PodracingSkywalker

Apr 1, 2014

Oh, that was just a sarcastic post reply to mine, because I dared criticize A New Hope The Force Awakens, so the user had to attempt to bash another movie doing something stupid to make TFA look better, I guess..even though this deleted scene doesn't even scrape the barrel as to why i consider TFA unwatchable. ;) But I love BTTF trilogy- even though i'd say III is better than II (once they leave 2015 it meanders a bit)