main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT TFA made Ewan McGregor proud of working on the Prequels.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Interesting new article & nice thoughts from McGregor:

http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/ewan-mcgregor-star-wars-force-awakens

"I just went in (to the cinema); there weren't very many of us because it was the middle of the day," says the actor, who first saw the original "Star Wars" in the theater as a 7-year-old.
    "J.J. got to the heart and soul of what we loved about 'Star Wars' as kids. It made me feel proud to be a part of it in one way or another with the three that I did."

2. Palp Fiction

Palp Fiction Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    Not surprising. Great that Ewan liked the film so much. Would love to hear the thoughts of other PT alumni.

3. JediRoxx

JediRoxx Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2016
    Ewan feeling proud to be a part of Star Wars! That warms the heart. Love reading that [face_love]

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Ewan arguably turned in the best performance of all the prequel actors. As good as Ian, Hayden, Frank, and Sam were, Ewan is amazing.

5. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
  6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I never got the impression that he ever felt otherwise.

As he said it's simply different being part of something as opposed to being a viewer.

MH, CF, HF etc being a part of it could never truly understand it. Even MH as a fanboy himself as much as he understood it could never truly get that about Star Wars.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Ezon Pin like this.
  7. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    It's good to hear him mention how proud he is to be a part of Star Wars, but like Qui-Riv-Brid said, he's always seemed proud to be a part of the saga, even if the films may not have met his expectations or at least found them to be difficult for him to work on. When TFA was announced, he proudly tweeted #donthecloakagain.

I really hope we see Ewan in Episode VIII. Dude is my Obi-Wan Kenobi, even though I grew up with Alec.

8. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    It's not just about being a viewer in & of itself. It's being a viewer & really liking TFA. That's what made him feel proud of being a part of SW. He wouldn't feel that way if he didn't like the movie.
    I've never heard him express pride in the movies before this, but hopefully you're right that he has been proud of some of his own SW films. We know he wasn't enamored with TPM but I haven't heard him critique the other two.

Thorin Oakenshield and Nate787 like this.
  9. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Oh DD, we sure have missed you here....[face_not_talking]

10. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    The upshot EP is that Ewan is in a great place regarding SW. Doesn't really matter why. I'm a big fan of his too & his performance in the PT. I'm hoping he gets a spinoff as much as anyone.

11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I couldn't disagree more about the "heart and soul" of TFA, but I'm glad McGregor likes it. Would be kind of interesting to see him in the role again.

12. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Has Ewan ever said that he liked his own movies though? Does Ewan like the prequels?

13. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    He liked working on them. As movies he thought TPM was "slightly disappointing" & "kind of flat". Haven't heard his opinion on the others. I'd guess that he liked them more.

14. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    I wonder if he's angling to get his own spin-off movie. I hope he gets one. I imagine they could set it a good ten or so years after RotS which should put enough distance between it and the prequels, if Disney's worried about being too closely associated with them.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    He's said he's very keen to do it. Nothing to do with him liking TFA though. Don't think anyone could accuse EM of being insincere.
    Despite the mixed views on the Prequels I think almost everyone agrees he was good in the role. We're also talking about an iconic character that all SW fans love. Can't see any reason to not bring him back. Unless they just can't think of a good story.

16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Which is my point. My impression as before is that he can't "like" the movies he himself was in the way that he can TFA or the other movies.

It's like actors. They are most concerned with the script as that is what informs them the most. They really aren't thinking about all the other elements of the movie.

This is no different than any other part of the production. The director etc has to consider everything. The others have to worry about what they do. They appreciate the other aspects need to be done but it's not really their concern.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  17. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    Good point. Hamill, Fisher and Ford, being part of the original phenomenon of SW, have a very different perspective on it than people who have grown up watching it as fans. Amidst all the gushing over TFA, an interviewer asked Ford if he "felt sentimental" about playing Han again. Ford gave the interviewer one of his patented, "You're not overly bright, are you?" looks and said, with characteristic dryness, "No, I got paid."

18. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002

Yeah, I got a good reminder of this while watching the pre-TFA interview circuits. The most sentimental I saw Ford was him saying he owed Lucas for being "the author of my career," but from the stuff I saw he didn't go into much detail regarding the actual films' level of quality, importance, etc. And Fisher as usual made the whole Star Wars deal into one constant joke. :p

Though I suspect Hamill would've been more attuned to a fannish perspective had he more do with TFA than a "mystery box" cameo, and thus been allowed to make the talk show rounds with his co-stars.

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Completely agree but that has no bearing on whether he's going to like the movie or not. It means he can watch a movie as an audience member & evaluate it just like the rest of us.

Here's a new interview & video where Ewan expands on his thoughts about TFA & talks about his interest in playing Obi-Wan again:

http://collider.com/star-wars-ewan-mcgregor-obi-wan-spinoff

McGregor about TFA: "I loved it. I really loved it. I thought it was great".

20. Thorin Oakenshield

Thorin Oakenshield Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 9, 2016
    I remember him at one stage referring to the OT as the classics and the PT as the "ones we did". Definitely remember reading that, I think in Empire or Total FIlm magazine. I did not like him after reading that but I have changed my mind after hearing the good words aboutT TFA

Darth Downunder likes this.
  21. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Yeah I disagree with the going back to the "heart and soul" of star wars crap. The heart and soul of star wars didn't stop with the PT. Anywho I'm glad Ewan is proud to be apart of the saga his performance as Obi Wan was legendary. I also hope he is able to be apart of a Obi Wan spin-off.

22. astronaut23

astronaut23 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 9, 2005

Yep the PT made me a bigger Star Wars fan than I was when we just had the originals. I had kinda moved on from the fanatism I had for Star Wars when I was a kid but the prequels coming out got me completely interested in Star Wars all over again. They expanded the Star Wars universe so much with new characters and worlds. Amazing films.

23. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Same here. Before the PT Star Wars was becoming just another fading interest from my young days. Then the PT came along and broadened the scope of the series in such a manner that I'm still here. Heart and soul indeed.

24. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Who said arguments from authority are dead?

So Ewan likes the we-phoned-this-in-from-Harry-Potter/LOTR, Focus-Group-driven, off-the-shelf, swipe-and-go, shock-and-awe, fanbait-oriented, winging-it-all-the-way, Instagram-friendly, Costa-Coffee version of Star Wars, and mistakes it for the real thing.

Good for him. [face_peace]

Ezon Pin, Sepra, dsematsu and 9 others like this.
  25. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    But he didn't like it. He "loved it. Really loved it" ;)