main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga TFA mirrors thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by HevyDevy, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Rey is the reincarnation of Leia!
    ...or does she have multiple personalities?

2. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I think in order to reincarnate, the original person has to die first. ;)

PCCViking likes this.
  3. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    We're talking about someone who has the ability to remember people from when she was ten seconds old. I think she knows how to split her soul in half and send one part into someone else's womb :p

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  4. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    TFA mirrors ANH and TPM.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    and esb.

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  6. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    ...and EpIX.

7. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Kylo isn't a party type of guy.

[​IMG]

But Mace is!
    [​IMG]

MJ

8. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    I'm not giving you anything.

[​IMG]

We'll see.

[​IMG]

I don't think so.

[​IMG]

We'll see.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

MJ

9. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Do you mean because following the pattern of the first two trilogies, one and three mirror like four and six do?
    Would be neat if this continued.

As you probably noticed I have a thing for the Ep1 / Ep3 parallels, I went pretty extensively into this over the years.
    I found it interesting that the ring-theory essay mentioned "rings within rings" regarding this. It certainly seems relevant when you see Luke and the main characters return to Tattooine in ROTJ.
    Where Luke on Tattooine in ANH is fairly harmless, and not fully in control of his own destiny at the time, he returns to his homeworld two movies later and basically kicks ass, wiping out an entire crime syndicate almost by himself. After warning Jabba several times of exactly this of course :).

Similarly, Anakin in TPM is mostly in the hands of the force's will, Qui-Gon taking him under his wing and pretty much having Anakin's life in his hands. By ROTS Anakin is one of the most powerful beings in the galaxy, and his attempts to take control of his destiny by himself spills over into control of the whole galaxy, and spirals into the downfall of things on both an macro and micro scale.
    Just seems very meaningful to me.

10. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Yep, that's exactly what I mean :)
    It's all extremely meaningful and well thought out!

HevyDevy likes this.
  11. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I used to think Ep4 and Ep6 were opposites partially because R2 gets a restraining bolt on Tattooine in ANH, whereas 3P0 gets a restraining bolt on Tattooine in ROTJ. Yet on further viewing both droids are fitted in ANH, it just isn't mentioned in dialogue. So much for that theory :rolleyes::)

But the opening shots of each film are worth observing as mirrors, a Star Destroyer passing overhead at a location (Tattooine) where Anakin was brought up, and a Star Destroyer passing overhead at a location (Endor) where Anakin will return.

And Obi-Wan telling the thug in the Cantina "This little one is not worth the effort" after he threatens to Luke "You'll be dead!", then Luke: "I used to live here you know" responed to with Han's "You're gonna die here you know. Convenient!" before Luke calmly states he has everything taken care of.

The movies of course feature the two "up" endings of the trilogy, with Vader almost killing Luke in the DS trench before Han helps Luke destroy the first DS, then Anakin saving Luke during their more personal battle aboard the second DS, after which Luke flees.

I'm sure this is probably obvious to hardcore fans like us, but I wonder how much it goes unnoticed by most viewers.

Darthman92 likes this.
  12. Valency Jane

Valency Jane Force Ghost star 6

Jan 17, 2016
    Howdy. Just dropping this here, seemed like the proper thread to put it in. :D Mirrors, mirrors all around in SW! :p

This one popped in my head during my last viewing of ANH. You can just feel the love! Lol jk. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmmm.....I guess Rey and Finn's reunion kind of fits, sort of not really? Its more somber tone compared to the top two doesn't really fit, but why not post it anyway. :p

[​IMG]

Also here's a bonus one. Its more of a stretch though. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I've slowly been making my way through TCW for the very first time and got to this point. Struck me how visually similar they are (with the camera on opposite sides), and how much they both tie in to the legacy of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader and his actions without him being the direct physical cause of the incident. The bridge in the middle of this would be Luke, refusing to kill his "bad" father, where the two pictured feature the "bad" sons attempting to kill their good father.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, similarly relevant:

Looking into the future:
    [​IMG]

Looking into the past:
    [​IMG]

No matter where the Saga goes, and no matter what directions it takes moving forward, it seems that Vader is the linchpin around which everything else circles. Everything before builds up to that pivotal series of events in galactic history, and everything after is a direct result of it.

14. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
  15. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    So long as that doesn't constitute a STARKILLER II than I guess I'm game! :D

16. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Or, if we need another Starkiller, give it to the good guys and let them explore the moral ramifications of possessing such a weapon.

I remember someone on these forums made a suggestion that I absolutely loved in a review of TFA. What if, instead of destroying Starkiller at the end of TFA, the Resistance/Republic took it from the FO. Then we have to deal with them deciding what to do with it, whether they should use it (could lead to an interesting degree of infighting between the Republic and Resistance who take opposing stances in the wake of the destruction of the Hosnian System), etc. An ending like that would have given the good guys an interesting moral dilemma where they have the option to win this conflict in an instant, but are unsure whether they should, that hasn't really been explored in Star Wars, and it would have given TFA less of an ANH 2.0 ending.

17. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

I like that. Didn't one of the rumors describe the Resistance as having its own superweapon, and Leia agonizing over whether to use it or not?

18. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013

Perhaps. And maybe that's where the thought came from. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure.

But moving forward, in the main Saga that is honestly the only way I would really want to see another superweapon introduced. Perhaps the Republic uses its remaining resources after Hosnian's destruction to make a superweapon, which Leia doesn't agree with because that money could have gone towards aiding refugees and/or supporting the Resistance's efforts to defeat the FO without harming innocents in the process, while the Republic, without much of a fleet or army remaining, is foaming at the mouth for revenge.

Episode VIII rumors:

Rumors seem to be pointing at the fact that Leia (and Poe) are going to be at odds with Laura Dern's character, who is supposedly a high-up Republic figure.

19. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Another thing that I want to see in Episode VIII, which is also bordering on mirror so I feel it is appropriate to speculate in this thread, is Finn's defection from the FO inspiring more Stormtroopers to leave the Order. Since they seem intent on showcasing the Stormtroopers are real people, seeing a large chunk of them essentially form the backbone of the Resistance's forces against the FO would be extremely fulfilling (and would make for an interesting look at the lasting legacy that Vader's return to Anakin in RotJ has over the galaxy. Everyone can be redeemed).

If that ever winds up being the case, it would also be interesting to see, perhaps in Episode IX, the FO resort back to Kylo Ren's jab at Hux in TFA. A Clone army, bread to be controlled as a last ditch effort by the FO, filling in where the natural human soldiers refused to cooperate by going up against the the Resistance's new Stormtroopers. In a weird way, that would also bring an aspect of the Saga full circle, with the Clones bookending the start of the Clone Wars and the end of the First Order Conflict on opposing sides of the battlefield.

20. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    That definitely would have been a cool idea to explore and I think could have justified revisiting the Death Star concept enough. On a similar note another, or additional, way it could have been handled as well would have been to have the planet the Starkiller was built on actually inhabited on some level to add greater consequence to blowing it up. Creating a moral dilemma that could drive them to have to think of another way of disabling it or something. I dunno, but just something additional to make it feel somewhat unique felt sorely lacking. People can say what they want about Death Star II, but at least that didn't rigidly follow the same plot beats of its forbearer like this one did.

21. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Yeah, unless it was terraformed in a short span of time, the planet that became Starkiller seems to have been one with the ability to support life. What is the natives' story? Were they put to work and then executed? Did they flee when their home was invaded? Could we potentially see more of them moving forward, who/whatever they may be?

22. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Just realized this one this morning:

Kylo stops a blaster bolt shot at him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vader stops a blaster bolt shot at him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    to me, Rey seems like a synthesis or combination of Luke and Anakin, the only real resemblance she has to Leia at this stage is her gender

24. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I don't mean to sound like a sicko but Rey looks like a combination of Anakin, Luke and Leia. She looks more related to them then Kylo.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  25. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    To me, she looks more like a combination of Padmé and Shmi.

Valency Jane and Darth Basin like this.