main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TFA New Theme?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by EisWarren, Jul 28, 2015.

?

Will John Williams write a completely original theme for The Force Awakens?

1. Brand new theme with no references to previous cues

20.0%
  2. Brand new theme based on previously used cues

60.0%
  3. Slightly rearranged theme from previously used cues

6.7%
  4. Hardly any noticeable differences from previously used cues

3.3%
  5. No new theme period

10.0%
  1. EisWarren

EisWarren Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2015
    I'd love to hear a brand new Star Wars score. I doubt much of Willisms' score will be new material, but I wonder if he will write some new theme for the movie. I would like to have a cohesive score based on the original trilogy music but with it's own unique feel. TPM did a good job at using previous themes and motifs for inspiration to turn them into brand new themes and motifs. AotC had that love theme that was so good, but it basically replaced the "force" theme. RotS was absolutely brilliant bridging the prequels to the sequals while introducing another new theme based on the imperial march ( I think) Does Williams still have it? What will he do?

2. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I believe he has already said that it'll be mostly a new score, with the occasional callback to an older theme when appropriate. I imagine he would use Leia's theme again, for instance.

Darkslayer and Admiral Volshe like this.
  3. EisWarren

EisWarren Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2015
    That's good to hear because I was a little worried he'd tread a lot of old ground.

4. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm sure there'll be plenty of new themes and they'll have subtle connections to the previous material but they won't be identical or anything. It'll probably like The Phantom Menace with more overt OT references.

5. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

I hope it is this way. I like listening to the entire soundtrack and hearing the new themes for each film. I like how every one has its own flavor. However, I also enjoy hearing the little snippets that tie everything together. (Examples: The Force theme, Imperial March, Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars). :)

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Every SW score has included tons of new material (themes or not), while including references to from the previous movies. Obvisouly, a new score will be mostly new, as always.

7. EisWarren

EisWarren Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2015
    I've been told by people with untrained ears that there is a minimal difference in sound between ep. 4-6. I see their point as 1-3 are quite different, except for the underscore. Btw the poll is asking about a main theme and this conversation I wanted to be about the whole score just in case it was confusing.

AmidalaLover likes this.
  8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think that sounds perfect.

9. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    If by "theme," you mean "score" then I'm positive there's going to be some new tracks in there. It'll still sound like Star Wars of course but there's going to be new tracks.

However, it'd be nice to see them have at least hints of songs from ALL SIX previous films.

10. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I still want to hear the staples: Binary Sunset, Opening Crawl, Imperial March. You know, the classics. However, I would love to here some new themes.

11. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    It's not a true SW film without the infamous opening crawl.

12. ManlyEwok

ManlyEwok Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    I believe that Williams originally wrote a new main theme for The Phantom Menace because, technically, the main Star Wars theme is actually Luke's theme and since Luke wasn't a character, it seemed odd to feature a theme for a character who chronologically didn't exist yet. So, he and Lucas discussed it and decided that the original, iconic Star Wars theme was the way to go to make the whole series cohesive. I highly doubt that the main theme will be missing from this new trilogy. It would be a mistake to omit it.

13. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    It will be a major missed opportunity if there isn't a track/theme called "Rey of Hope"

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  14. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    As fas as I know, they did discuss creating a new main theme for the prequels, but they decided againts it, but John Williams never actually wrote anything.

15. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    If that's true, then it would be the holy grail of holy grails for me. Right next to "Fanfare for Dukakis", also by Williams.
    I heard that Williams wrote a theme for Padme which was also scrapped.

16. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It's a given that the Main Theme will be used, especially because it's also Luke's theme. We might get a glimpse at Luke & Leia's theme. The Force Theme is a must. For villains it's always possible that new themes will derive from the Imperial March or the Emperor's theme. This sort of speculation is so much fun!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. ManlyEwok

Apr 23, 2014
    I used to have a copy of what was rumored to be the new theme...I've never gotten confirmation as to the validity of it, but it was cool to hear anyway...sorry I don't still have it, I would share it...

18. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Do you remember enough to play it out on a piano or whistle it?

19. ManlyEwok

Apr 23, 2014
    No, I don't...but, I do remember it was somber compared to the original theme...

20. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    How did you get a copy of that? I'm pretty sure it wasn't real anyway...

21. ManlyEwok

Apr 23, 2014
    Oh, I think it was in some forum or something...you're probably right...I doubt that they would have gotten as far as actually recording the music before scrapping the idea...

22. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    Yeah, if it was a recording, I'm positive it was a fake (since we have a leaked cue sheet and pretty much everything recorded for the film has surfaced).
    Besides, a new main theme would have been used through the movie, and obviously it wasn't.
    Remember that Lucas doesn't hear what Williams has composed until they get to record it. Once they're on the recording sessions, they only have a few days to record all the music, and there isn't much room for changes. Occasionally, a cue may be re-written, but the would never erase the existence of a main theme THROUGH all the movie!

23. EisWarren

EisWarren Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2015
    I'm really hoping the "score" is mostly new material. The maestro is getting really old and so I want to hear as much original music as possible. Imagine this--- you're in the theatre ready to see the new film and your giddy with excitement and instead of that jarring opening to the theme (Luke's) it starts with a blast but in a different key and you're treated to the NEXT main theme to Star Wars. It'd be totally amazing and unexpected and really set the movie up well. But would that be better than the old standby music? I think it'd piss people off but that's what I'd like to hear. I'm not saying completely scrap it, but it is the exact same opening music in all 6 films. I doubt Williams really was going to write a new theme for the prequel's opening and Lucas said just use Luke's theme it is what the audience expects because Lucas doesn't care that the audience expects certain things. Like use less CGI and such so why would he care about the opening crawl? Anyway still use Luke's theme just only associate it with Luke during the movie. Well anyway I'd think it'd be cool if the Bluray had music options like toggle the main theme back on or what not if audiences hated it. When I was little I would think about there being two Jurassic Park movies in theaters one with Williams score and one with a different James Horner score. I still think that'd be awesome. Also what if the movie Troy gives you ability to watch with Horner's score or Yared's rejected score? Anyway I'm done dreaming

Howard Hand likes this.
  24. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    An interesting prospect, but J.J's "return to the OT" promise doesn't bode well for that.

25. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    I could see that happening of the score was composed by the master maestro of tortured puns, Michael Giacchino. Williams however...not so much.

ironwaffle and Howard Hand like this.