main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion TFA Opening Crawl - THE most important ever?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by episodenone, Oct 21, 2015.

1. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    The spoiler below references one of the trailers, so please be careful.

The main trailer opened a still shot of stars and then quickly to Rey. It almost looks like she's moving some sort of shroud and it gives off a starlight appearance. Some of speculated that the post-crawl will not pan down or pan up but instead show this scene with maybe a large pause. It's about 8 seconds into the official trailer. Thoughts?

2. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

I don't think many of us realize how used to the pan we are. If this is true, it would certainly have an impact.

JediLight likes this.
  3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree the crawl will be important in terms of detailing any necessary history (as this is the longest period of time that has passed so far in between episodes in the saga), but I wouldn't necessarily think it's the MOST important one, compared to the others...

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Interesting theory, but I hope it isn't so. I want it to open in space, like all the movies.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  5. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    TPM: Pan to Jedi ship on approach to Naboo blockade
    AOTC: Pan up to Naboo fighters and Amidala's ship on approach to Coruscant
    ROTS: Pan to battle on stratosphere of Coruscant

ANH: Pan to blockade runner escaping from Star destroyer
    TESB: Pan to Star Destroyer sending out probes and command ship
    ROTJ: Pan to shot of DS2 on Endor and Star destroyer with Vader ship

Unless JJ and Disney are ready to face the wrath of thousands of screaming fanbois. TFA will start in space with a pan to some ship crossing through the frame.

I for one wouldn't mind if it starts differently than the others, but I sincerely doubt that JJ will do it as he loves the OT.

episodenone likes this.
  6. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    Tilt.

You're all technically wrong because the opening shots have never used a pan.

If the shot pivots vertically (as it does with most of the openings) then it is a tilt. A pan is horizontal.

All the films so far except for AotC tilt down.

Film grammar, it's important to me.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, the use of "pan" in this context drives me nuts as well :p :-B

Raz Zaphon likes this.
  8. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Ok, I can't edit my post please replace "pan" with "tilt".

Or is it a "pedestal". I'm not sure if we can conclude that the camera is being tilted or it's simulating a pedestal. Can some film buff clarify?

9. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013

Seeing that alone just gives me goosebumps... I can't imagine the glee I'll feel in the theater!