main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA Poster

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    So will Drew still be doing to full theatrical poster?

2. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
  3. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    Likely

Howard Hand likes this.
  4. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Good.

Shamear likes this.
  5. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I think it looks better like this, with the text "The Force Awakens" below the Star Wars logo....

[​IMG]

6. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008

More likely Drew just likes those stairs. He's generally not too fussed about which movie he takes elements from.

His ANH poster has Leia from ESB
    His ESB poster (done before Special Edition) features the wrong Emperor
    Hi ROTJ poster features... wait for it... The Cloud City steps PLUS the Cloud City Dual with Luke's blue saber.

Also in terms of how prominently a character is featured bear in mind that Chewie and Jabba are featured most on the ROTJ poster. They kind of look a bit like a married couple too.

In short I don't think we should read too much into the details!

[​IMG]

DaddlerTheDalek and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I have to say that I really don't like Drew's OT posters. I can appreciate them, but I don't like them. I'd take the originals any day of the week.

8. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    His Phantom Menace poster is an absolute masterpiece, but considering that he traces, He is susceptible to getting proportions very wrong when he composites different bodies with heads from other images. And his Attack Of the clones poster features a terrible, terrible Obi Wan

9. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think his AOTC poster is his best overall SW work to date, but I agree about Obi-Wan's image in that particular poster.

10. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    I actually find Drew Struzan's teaser/theatrical posters to represent the main theme/conflict of the film pretty accurately..

11. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Yes - I agree. Although I think he sometimes takes those overt themes a bit too literally... and at the expense of something more immersive. For example, his TESB poster certianly reflects the Empire but, for me, I find TESB to be quite a romantic (not in terms of love but cinematically) and magical/fantastical tale e.g. a city in the clouds, a Jedi master on a swamp world, 2 lovers on the run etc. etc.... and that element is totally lost within his poster.

soul8luos likes this.
  12. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    There is the gone with the wind style ESB poster - that sums the film up far better, I think. Though I'm not 100% sure that that was Drew

DaddlerTheDalek and Darth PJ like this.
  13. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Yes, Roger Kastel's ESB poster is awesome! He did JAWS as well! :)

14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I have to admit, the "Gone with the Wind" style poster is my favorite for ESB as well - in fact, it's hanging on my wall. I agree that it captures the overall feel of the film much better than Struzan's take on it. But in Struzan's defense, you have to keep in mind that his posters are meant to be viewed as a triptych, which would explain why some characters are featured more prominently on one and not the other (ex. Chewie and Jabba on ROTJ). While they are also meant to be viewed separately for each film, I do think they lose a bit of the overall feel of each...with the exception of the ANH poster.

15. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Struzan's work varies greatly. He gets fawned over, and his reputation has grown in retirement, but look at this;
    [​IMG]

Ignore for a second the ridiculous film and silliness of the image, but look at how poorly the image is thought through. Imagine if you were looking at a three dimensional version of that image, from that angle, but move to the side - notice that it just isn't possible for the characters to occupy the space they're actually occupying - the image is actually flat, because there isn't actually any depth to the composition.
    I think that may well be why his collage/floating heads/semi abstract work is more successful - it doesn't attempt to place the characters in a real space

16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Nice poster, but where are Chewie, BB8, R2, 3PO and Leia?

17. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I hated those posters. Awful. Just awful.

JunoSynth and vin like this.
  18. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I hope not.

19. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    Once again, Rey is the dominant figure.

20. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    good! we need a dominant character. the phantom menace is a perfect example of what can go wrong when you lack one.

21. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I loved the OT Special Edition posters, they are meant to be seen together, not individually. I always wanted Drew to make the prequel posters like this, so you could see all three together. This way, the two trilogies would flow better artistically. Then you could have done the Sequel Trilogy the same way. I really do love Drew's style, he's a great artist. I can't wait to see the theatrical poster.

It's too bad Drew retired, but I wonder if they are paying him just for The Force Awakens poster and then he retires, or if they paid him to complete the other two posters in the trilogy. My guess is just The Force Awakens, but you never know I guess.

22. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    The movies should stand alone on their own legs. I disagree with you.

23. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Having seen some of the incredible art that fans have made, I'd like to see Star Wars start to move away from nostalgia and commission new artists to make posters - it's that that will keep illustrated poster art alive, not deification of one man

24. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    So, what about the stuff in the poster? For instance, what might be the significance of the steps from Bespin carbonite chamber, in the lower right corner?

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It means we're going to be frozen with excitement!!

_Sublime_Skywalker_ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.