main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA Run Time Revealed !

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by chris hayes, Aug 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    I've always thought the Star Wars films should be 3 hrs. They're epic and classic enough to be able to carry that kind of running time. I wish Disney would do this going forward with the franchise. That was my only complaint about the Star Wars films, they were too short for such great flicks. They always left me wanting more.

Darkslayer, Lando Swarm and Rabs like this.
  2. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I don't really care as long as I like the film. I do love some long epics, though. Not a fan of the LOTR or Hobbit films. I do, however, find the LOTR trilogy visually impressive.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  3. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015

I hear ya. I didn't mind the LotR/Hobbit films, i'm not a HUGE fan of them either, but i thought they were well done and fun to watch. The God Father saga is a great example of long epics that worked well. Braveheart was 3 hours long and is one of the greatest films of all time imo, it's definitely one of my favs of all time anyway. The Star Wars movies could carry 3 hour running times easily. I think there's more than enough substance and story there to warrant longer running times. Frankly some of the films actually would've been better if they'd been a little longer and had the extra time to flush out more story and character (PT and RotJ, i'm talking to you guys lol).

Lando Swarm and Rabs like this.
  4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Yeah. I think artificially keeping the films short, or long, is the wrong way to go. Just take as much time as you need to tell a great story.

5. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015

Agreed. That's why i never understood how/why some fans are so adamant about the running time for Star Wars films with regard to keeping to the established structure and formula of the films thus far. I just think that SW is so epic and grand in scope that 3 hours could be done very easily and made very enjoyable.

6. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Perhaps, but as long as the filmmaker is not trying to make a 3-hour film.

If the story is wholly satisfying at 2 hours, and it feels like it should wrap up, then 2 hours it is. But if 2 hours feels truncated and unsatisfying, by all means, tell us more!

7. Rabs

Jul 15, 2014
    darthtimetraveller

I agree with you about Braveheart. One of the best. When it comes to LOTR I'm more of a Stephen R. Donaldson fan than a Tolkien fan. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and the Gap series are far superior in my opinion. And just so this post isn't completely off topic a three hour Star Wars film would definitely be badass.

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I...no, I can't. I'll just leave this one be. :)

Darkslayer likes this.
  9. Rabs

Jul 15, 2014
    I'm fully aware that my opinion is in the minority. And that's okay. Differences is what keeps the world from being a dull place. I do give Tolkien credit for modernizing fantasy.

10. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    It's OK. I won't hold it against you. :)

*continues knitting voodoo doll of Rabs*

Rabs likes this.
  11. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

IMO The Last of the Mohicans kicks Braveheart's butt and does so with only a 90 minute runtime.

dekaneas and darthtimetraveller like this.
  12. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    TLOR, and other epics, are only that way because they are adaptions, or they were made as 'event pictures' (with interludes). When you look at many of them from a filmic point of view they are often indulgent, over bloated and poorly paced. And they aren't poor stories - they just aren't what you would write if you were writing a film from scratch.

13. Rabs

Jul 15, 2014
    We'll just have agree to disagree. I do like Last of the Mohicans, though.

14. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015

LOL

It's funny that you mention Last of the Mohicans, I gotta give respect, I absolutely Luv that movie! It's definitely one of my favorites as well! Braveheart, Dead Poet's Society, Goodwill Hunting, and Last of the Mohicans are all films in my top 10 favorites of all time.

TheForceBay likes this.
  15. TheForceBay

TheForceBay Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2015
    Even though I'd love for TFA to be longer, I hope the editors know what they're doing. All successful blockbusters recently, like Jurassic World for example, were cut to exactly or somewhere around 124 minute mark. I guess it has to do with the human attention span. I just hope movie doesn't feel rushed, but knowing today's audience that loves constant action sequences from the very beginning all throughout until the mega climax of the film, I wouldn't be surprised if 124 proves as just the right time to serve that kind of thrill.

16. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    I say - make it epic. Make it 2.5 - 3 hours long. It worked for LOTR. Some of the great movies of all times, like say Brave heart, have been really long. I know they won't do it, but its still just a wish.

17. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I hope it's not constant action, and expect it won't be. JJ seems most enamored with ANH, and that film took its time at the beginning, to great effect.

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Well, it did kinda dive right into the action at the beginning also :)

19. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Well, yeah. But beginning with an action scene is very different than non-stop action throughout the whole film. If JJ doesn't pause to breathe in this film, I will be very disappointed.

But if the synopsis is broadly correct, I think there's nothing to worry about.

20. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    As long as the runtime fits the story, I'm fine with it.

There are films that are so bloated that they would definitely benefit from being hugely cut down (looking at you, The Hobbit films and King Kong).

On the other hand, there are long films that I think would suffer immensely from cuts; my favorite film, Lawrence of Arabia, is over 3 hours and 45 minutes long and I think it would be a travesty to shorten it. Every scene in that film adds to the story and, especially, the immense sense of scale of the desert. It also doesn't waste time on over-the-top action sequences or linger too extensively on exposition. The pacing is perfect.

One thing to consider, though, is that the Episode VII filmmakers may have been pushed for a shorter runtime to fit more showings in a day.

And shortening a film can really detrimentally affect the viewing experience, Kingdom of Heaven in its theatrical cut is 144 minutes and is considered far inferior to the director's cut, which runs at 190 minutes.

So we need a balance -- no bloated Peter Jackson Hobbit length but let's also avoid cutting it down to much à la Kingdom of Heaven to get more viewings in a day.

21. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Agreed 100%. And for referencing my favorite film of all time (LoA), you win this thread. :)

22. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    There is an old axiom in show business. It says you should always leave the audience wanting more. I think that Lucas subscribed to that theory and the new creative team is going to do the same.

23. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I have a good feeling about this run time.

24. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Just don't go over the two and a half hour mark and i'm fine. I hate watching a movie so long that my ass goes numb! Cough (Lord of the rings) Cough!
    Also it sucks getting out of a three to four hour movie and feeling like the whole day is wasted afterwards.

25. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    When you have a film that is part of a series, there is no excuse to go too far over 2 and a bit hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.