main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA spacecraft action happens mostly on the ground...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Millennium Falcon 888, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Good day again, it's the Milli Falcon and something's been on her mind that she wants to ask you guys... Have you noticed that TFA is one of the rare SW movies where most of the action involving spacecraft happens in some planet with breathable atmosphere (except for, say, the beam shooting out of the SKB as well as Poe and Finn's escape from the Finalizer in that TIE Fighter)?

This is in complete contrast with, notably, the movies of the OT where the fighting scenes are in outer space... Which means all the shooting and crashing sounds that we are so familiar with (but defies logic - sound cannot be heard in outer space) is finally heard in crystal clear quality!

The Milli Falcon being chased all around the Star Destroyer ruins in Jakku
    [​IMG]

X-Wings skimming water - on the way to defend Maz Kanata's castle
    [​IMG]

X-Wing attacking TIE Fighter - in the skies above Kanata's castle
    [​IMG]

And this fight scene is reminiscent of what took place at the Death Star (TIE Fighters, X-Wings, even the long trench) - but the main difference is that the SKB is a planet with at least some breathable atmosphere!
    [​IMG]

2. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    The Star Wars franchise is in possession of a rare and precious letter of marque, granting it the eternal and unquestionable right to have sound in space.

Go bother Star Trek about their sounds if you don't like it.

3. Millennium Falcon 888

Jan 6, 2016
    Star Trek is not my cup of tea unfortunately (although virtually ALL of their spacecraft battles are in space - I especially like the one where the Enterprise does that sudden attack on the Narada - in the 2009 "Star Trek" movie)... Give me a ride on the Milli Falcon anytime, even if the USS Enterprise is a more massive and better quality ship! :falcon:

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  4. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    Yea the "star" in "star wars" was definitely pretty absent this movie. I have no complaints with atmosphere battles, they look cool, as long as they still have a good amount of space shots as well, which they didn't.

5. Millennium Falcon 888

Jan 6, 2016
    Too bad the only notable space battle in TFA was when the turrets of The Finalizer were blasting away at the escaping TIE Fighter piloted by Poe and Finn... Before hitting them and seeing that Fighter spinning down towards Jakku.

And with the destruction of SKB in TFA, maybe we'll see more of the Finalizer and its huge number of troops and attack vessels come Episode 8, as a means of revenge attacks (AKA payback) against the Resistance... Which is where more space battles will be seen then!

Dak Oolron likes this.
  6. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    "The Finalizer"? its not really called that is it? makes it sound like a challenge on Ninja Warrior.

I would say the battles feel like a bit of a mixed bag for me, I loved the Tie and Falcon escapes but was less impressed with the X-wing action.

Perhaps the location is part of that? Jakku might not be as formless as deep space but if it still a naturally very uniform that fore fills a similar kind of neutral background whilst Maz's place especially came across as rather cluttered to me.

I think it helps as well that those earlier scenes both have large capital ships involved in them even if one of them is a wreck. This helps a lot in terms of being able to give the scenes form I would say, whilst you don't want too much clutter you do want something that allows you to create dramatic compositions and just X-wings and Tie's facing off makes that much harder to achieve. That's a lot of why the Ednor space battle works IMHO, having the capital ships to fly around makes the fighter showdowns we focus on much more dramatic.

The X-wing action is I spose you could argue less important, even if it destroys the Starkiller its not involving any of the main characters.

DarthBrian likes this.
  7. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    But...but...I thought TFA was a TOTAL rehash of everything in the OT!

8. Zalbaar

Zalbaar Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    I don't think the lack of Space battles is too much of an issue, focus on the air battles that did happen and appreciate how excellent they are.

9. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    There were actually parts of it that did feel visually quite new to me even if they reused designs from the OT, the intro of Rey around the Star destroyer Wreck and the Tie/Falcon escapes.

10. Millennium Falcon 888

Jan 6, 2016
    Hmmm, if we can look at this very definitive DK book called "Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Incredible Cross-Sections", there is a massive foldable four-page section on that huge Star Destroyer, showing its interior workings and cross-sections in full detail... And guess what, the diagram shows the giant starship's name as "The Finalizer", which is almost certainly official since DK gets their information and diagrams from Lucasfilm Ltd.! =D=

The Milli Falcon has that book in her possession, and it's a good read for us SW fans, by the way! ^:)^
    [​IMG]

11. Millennium Falcon 888

Jan 6, 2016
    moreorless12, this is what I was talking about and yeah, that ship is indeed called "The Finalizer"! [face_dancing]
    [​IMG]

12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Was The Finalizer the ONLY ship we saw in the whole film...? Did anyone notice any others?? Seems weird - and actually doesn't make The First Order appear all that formidable.

13. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    In the approach scenes to Star Killer base towards the lower right of the screen you see what looks like a number of Star Destroyers. But overall I think only showing the one was way to few. Lets hope in EP8 we finally see shipyards with thousands of them being built.

I'm also not sure I liked the Falcon hitting the ground, it just doesn't seem that robust to be able to take an impact with a solid object without shields to the cockpit.

I watched the trench run from ANH this afternoon and the slower pace of it and dialog between pilots and sense of loss to them being shot down is so much more dramatic than the battles in TFA. There weren't many resistance ships and I think it would have been better if we cared a little more for their loss. There aren't really a lot of Tie fighters either.

14. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    I'd rather have atmosphere battles than the endless procession of "oh look....here's another spaceship arriving at another planet" exposition shots they had in the PT.

I'm sure they will up the "starrage" in 8.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The Finalizer was useless in the movie, all the X-Wings bypass it twice(Maz's castle and later during the attack on Starkiller Base). . Seemed only present to to imitate some Vader scenes from ESB whether visually but also subconsciously. .

16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I kind of liked it, for this film. It was something that we've haven't really seen before in a SW movie. And the MF maneuvering through crashed SD's while trying to allude TIE fighter's is already one of my favorite SW action beats ever.

Also, X-Wings using precision targeting and hitting Stormtroopers on the ground while flying a top speed, was REALLY cool.

But I DO want some space battle action moving forward.

17. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    i loved the air battles / scenes in TFA I know they wern't in space, but that meant there were more obstacles, cool maneuvers and different scenery. The chase seen between TIE Fighters and the Falcon on Jakku is freakin' Epic!

voices77 and OZQUAD44 like this.
  18. Millennium Falcon 888

Jan 6, 2016
    The Milli Falcon has heard about the First Order actually having illegal shipyards and stuff in the Unknown Regions... Which gives her a shudder as she won't know how many more massive Finalizer-sized destroyers are there, as well as an insane number of troops and assault fighters, to launch another full-scale attack on the New Republic and Resistance - as retribution for "converting" the SKB into a new star!

And we have to be thankful that the Falcon didn't fall off the cliff, being so perilously close to the edge. Otherwise she will not be here and participating in these wonderful Forums!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

19. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999

[​IMG]

Bobatron, jaqen, Dak Oolron and 6 others like this.
  20. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Nothing wrong with the fact the battles took place on planets. It doesn't make it any less enjoyable. If anything it makes it more interesting from a visual standpoint.

21. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    The Milli Falcon has an almost Nixonian capacity to speak of him/herself in the third person. Pfluegermeister finds this to be lame...

Bobatron, jaqen, Dak Oolron and 2 others like this.
  22. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    seems odd in retrospect but it all made contextual sense. i do hope it hasn't set a precedent going forward, though.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I doubt it. It's cool for one film, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get more atmospheric battles moving forward. But I doubt that space battles won't factor in movie forward, that'd make little sense.

24. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    People need to keep in mind that, in all likelihood, if ILM was capable of doing more atmospheric visual effects shots in the OT, they probably would have. Perhaps the most prominent reason they couldn't was they had a hard enough time keeping the matte lines and ugly black outlines away from the starship models in BLACK SPACE, to say nothing of keeping them unnoticeable in a bright blue sky - otherwise, the battle of Hoth would probably have had more aircraft in the sequence. Starships were kept in space for THAT reason, not for any preference for space over sky on the part of the filmmakers.

25. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

It's too much like ANH, except when it's not enough like it. :)

Njfritz, OZQUAD44, Dak Oolron and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.