main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT [TFA Spoilers] Criticism of Anakin vs. Kylo Ren

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by PiettsHat, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    On a parenting blog that I follow, a woman posted about experiencing a "loss" because she had to give birth in a hospital with Pitocin instead of getting the home birth she wanted, in which her son would 'swim into the world and be welcomed with chocolate cake and buttercream frosting and champagne.' The kid is four years old now, and she is still "in mourning", saying that 'yes, I brought home a healthy baby, but it was still a loss.'

The comments she received were mostly along the lines of 'Shut up. Stop being so whiny and entitled. There are people who do not get to bring their babies home at all. THAT is loss, not a birth plan that did not work out. You should be grateful for the medical care that was available to you.' (Comments that I mostly agree with. I had two C-sections, and I think "birth plans" beyond "deliver a healthy baby" are stupid and that kind of investment in them is even more stupid.)

There were some comments along the lines of 'Maybe she didn't lose her child but all feelings are valid and she is entitled to them, it's not a contest.'

It reminded me of the arguments about Anakin and Kylo Ren both, and what people's mindsets are regarding how much weight and importance to give to feelings, whether it is acceptable to be irrational and ungrateful, whether resentment should be accepted or discouraged and under what circumstances.

With Anakin...I expected some resentment and emotional trauma from his background as a slave, his leaving his mother in slavery at such a young age, and the horrific manner in which she died. I did expect him to be a bit more appreciative of the opportunity to become a Jedi, however, and the training and support they gave him, even if they did not validate every feeling he had at every moment (I don't think anyone is obligated to do that).

With Kylo Ren I see a privileged kid born to great parents, and a Jedi uncle with whom he had the opportunity to train, who killed his uncle's students, a family friend and his father over...nothing. Nothing other than MAYBE a feeling of being "abandoned" with no rational basis whatsoever, parents who were "busy" (they had lives outside of him, how terrible of them), and I suppose, not being greeted with chocolate cake with buttercream frosting and champagne.

Not all "feelings" are valid, and I have no tolerance for a lack of appreciation for privileges.

2. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    there are NO invalid feelings. all feelings are valid. even the ones i vehemently disagree with.

i've been thinking about which scenes are echoed in han's death ...

so, it's luke/vader in ROTJ and anakin/obi-wan in ROTS but also, as per fall to the death i thought that it's luke/vader in ESB, no? or am i missing a scene of a character falling to their death?

3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    But should all "feelings" be catered to?

Should we tolerate whiny entitled attitudes or should people be expected to show a little gratitude for what they have, especially people born and/or raised in privilege to loving parents and/or guardians?

If (general) your answer is "yes" to the idea that we should tolerate whiny attitudes, I would say we will likely never reach a meeting of the minds, because I have no tolerance for spoiled entitled brats and I can't sympathize at all with ungrateful people whining about first world problems (with no shred of irony, as opposed to in a joking manner like the YJCC thread on the subject) and I am not sure what they contribute to society other than teaching other people how not to behave.

I had some, even a lot, of sympathy for Anakin up until he completely and deliberately shut his brain off. I have none whatsoever for Kylo Ren.

4. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    The universe tolerates those attitudes, and ever since I achieved Henosis...:oops:

5. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    tolerance isn't the same as validation. i personally cannot invalidate or validate anyone's feelings on a given matter/their past/their present/future/other people. it's not a matter of negotiation. their feelings are their feelings and i have to respect that. what you are asking for is judgement. anyone can judge - i simply prefer not to. if it helps others to judge, so be it.

either of these characters does things i fundamentally disagree with and things i wouldn't do myself (i'm guessing, i have not been in those situations) but i can empathise with their feelings and understand them (i have even felt some of them myself) and they are, at the end of the day, characters and not real people.

i find it funny that empathy is being equalled with 'tolerance of whiny attitudes'. that's like... an interesting take on empathy.

the prequel discussion i remember was that anakin's feeling and worries towards padme were being invalid for a jedi. and yoda was right because ... it's yoda and he's right and stuff. one has to let go and worries are the dark side.

yoda had zero people skills and i'd be suicidal if he was my counsellor.

now the discussion is whether ben solo being parented by HEROES means that he cannot be disappointed in his parents.

déjà-vu much?

they have to have been the bestest parents ever and there's not a snowball's chance in hell that he might feel disappointed because that's how he feels. not because he WANTS to be disappointed but because he is.

whether there are things he doesn't know, that would un-disappoint him, or whether he's got it wrong, or whether he's right - it's irrelevant. at the moment we've got two guilt-ridden parents and one son who feels let down. and i'm just taking that on board.

maybe it's his choice to feel they've let him down but it just seems to be a little... flat. you know, people don't generally choose their feelings, they come to them. just like anakin probably would have preferred not to feel worried about padme. but he did and on moves the plot.

6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Unquestionably there's alot more backstory to be filled in regarding Kylo. IMO we shouldn't assume too much. All we have are the vague broadstrokes of what happened. You can bet that some curve-balls are in store in terms of his fall to the Dark Side. What's very unlikely is that it was just a matter of him being a spoiled ungrateful brat. That's an incredibly dull backstory. Can't see R.Johnson serving that up. From what little we do know, the key event seems to've been Leia sending him away as a young child to be trained. She says in TFA that was her big mistake. Seems it had the two-fold effect of creating feelings of abandonment within him & exposing him to Snoke. When we find out all of the specific circumstances that's when I'll be passing judgement.

7. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I think the real question should be Dark Helmet vs Kylo Ren!

[​IMG]

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think there is some back story regarding Snoke, who he was, and how he built a relationship with Kylo.

I personally have no interest in any kind of back story that attempts to bash Han and Leia, whether it's for sending him to Luke (not seeing how that could be a bad decision, sending a Force-sensitive kid to train with the best Jedi Master around) or for being working parents. "It's Han and Leia's fault that their son is a murderer" takes responsibility from Kylo, just as "it's the Jedi's fault that Anakin followed Palpatine" takes the decision-making responsibility from Anakin.

As far as "having to" "respect" any emotion or "taking it on board" no matter how entitled or irrational...nope.

On Yoda and Anakin: it was not Yoda's responsibility to help Anakin wallow in his emotions, it was his responsibility to help him work through them, hence his advice, which was appropriate for a Jedi and probably something Anakin had heard in the past. I'm not a Jedi, so my advice to Anakin would have been, is she getting prenatal care? If not, she should be, if she is, try to convince her not to leave Coruscant and beyond that, you are doing the best you can and don't worry about it. IOW...let it go.

On Kylo: I remember this old routine from a comedian that I like: "When you have kids, you do the best you can to raise them right only to have them go on Oprah later and complain about how their horrible parents ruined their lives. Just once, I would like to see someone on one of those shows say look, my mom was alright, my dad was alright, I'm just a ****head."

That would be it. I'm not interested in what Kylo would tell Oprah or Dr. Phil about Han and Leia.

9. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    problem is, i'm just a ****head is incredibly flat dramatically, no matter how much you wish for it.

and at this stage you want a particular story, so i guess your bias is showing. i don't mind bias, i have some myself, or else i'm hoping for a dramatically rich story that doesn't cheapen any conflict and doesn't make this a my-parents-never-loved-me-boohoo kinda sob story, - although i personally think that han has never shown his commitment to his son quite like this before, which is why it touches him.

the way it's played, the film certainly for me, hints at a past that wasn't all ideal and fluffy clouds and silver spoons. it doesn't mean i can't see arrogance and entitlement in the character (i can see that plentifully), it means that where he is isn't just an effort of his will, although i believe he is also there willingly.

anyway, yadayadayada. yoda knows sith about feelings. or working through them. i'm thinking he should have watched more of the dr phil stuff you are on about.

10. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm think I'm still confused by this thread. The gripes about Kylo seem to be about the very things that make him villainous. The criticisms seem to boil down to criticisms of his personal character, when his weaknesses in this regard are the very point. We SHOULD be repulsed by his behavior.

Anakin and Ben have different motivations and insecurities that drive them. Some of us are bound to be more infuriated by one more than the other, because of what we ourselves bring to the table.

This debate is like debating apples and oranges... except the apples and the oranges are both dressed in black.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think I mentioned this earlier, but nobody is complaining that Kylo Ren is a murderer. THAT'S what makes him villainous. His being a whiny entitled brat does not make him villainous, it makes him annoying, and someone I can't watch on screen without wanting to go through it and slap the whine out. In the scenes when Anakin was like that, he was still a good guy.

As far as a story being "flat dramatically," there is no need to set out to create drama in a story, if the story and the characters are entertaining, people will pay money to see it. Creating a whiny entitled character and then making the story all about his "feelings" and how we are "supposed to" feel sorry for him--especially while sacrificing established characters to make that character look better--is likely to drive people away.

And Yoda at 900 years old knows plenty about how to deal with feelings. He has been doing that much longer than Anakin.

Andy Wylde and CT-867-5309 like this.
  12. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    And I seriously doubt it will be presented that way. Of course Han & Leia sent Ben away with the best intentions. Just like other parents of Force sensitives had done in the distant past. I can't see them being bashed at all. Using kiddie logic young Ben may've felt that he was seen as a problem that needed to be passed onto to someone else. That his parents were happy to get rid of him. If he did I'm sure those feelings were cultivated by Snoke. That's the key to the whole thing. Snoke somehow got to him. That's why Leia regrets sending him away. How & why Snoke corrupted Ben is what we're still to find out. We only have a fraction of the story.

As for Anakin, IMO the Jedi absolutely share the responsibility for his turn. Firstly, they had established rules for not taking in kids above a certain age who have strong connections with their parents. At first they adhere to that with Anakin, & then they change their mind. They broke their own rules. What's more the parent that Anakin was strongly attached to was left as a slave on a dangerous planet! That's called a recipe for disaster. And to top it off they failed to sense a powerful Sith Lord operating right under their noses who then spends a decade poisoning Anakin's mind. Starting from when he was just 9 years old. That's an appalling failure of guardianship for a child. Keep in mind, that's one of the things the Jedi Order does - raise children. From very young ages. In the case of Anakin they did a crap job. If all of that doesn't amount to a shared blame for his fate then I don't know what does.
    He was quite whiny when he was accusing Obi-Wan of being jealous & of holding him back. That was right after he slaughtered a camp full of women & children. IMO that act was the end of him as a good guy. It was understandable to take out the Tusken warriors who kidnapped his mother & who would have fought him. That's combat. To then go around & murder the women & children...good guys don't do that.

13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    A truly good guy would've just snuck out of there, though.

14. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    that's one of the ways i believe that snoke hooked into him. he has very strong feelings of inadequacy and shame (all that fighting against the pull of the light) and i think he could easily have taken himself being sent away to mean that he was unwanted. doesn't mean he was but it's actually quite common in children of divorce to think that the fighting and separation is about themselves.

one of the first things that struck me about these two characters after watching TFA for the first time was that... they both ended up on the dark side but somehow with anakin that always made complete sense (not because of obviousness... it just made sense with the set-up and the ethical and political and emotional and spiritual connundrum that lucas had created for the character) --- and he had no father. there was no father figure and therefore he was desperate to find a father figure... and that's why the relationship with obi-wan is so interesting because obi-wan shifts from master to brother and he's never the father but never quite an equal either.i feel very strongly that qui-gon would have been able to respond to anakin a lot better but we'll never know.

and with kylo/ben? he had parents. and he still ends up with mountains of daddy issues and on the dark side? how can this happen twice?

and i'm intrigued.

and i hope, i really hope, that the writers will be able to tell that story convincingly. because at the moment they have manoeuvered into pretty tight corners. and nobody wants to slag off the legacy characters but somehow this kid ended up with snoke, he desperately wants to go home but has become a murderer?

i'm hoping that his reason wasn't simply teenage stubborness and a mere will to not be with his family. that's not how he comes across to me. i'm not holding out much hope for his plans to finish what vader started although... it would be nice to think he's got something going on but i'm really not holding my breath at the moment.

15. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    This is even funny. Anakin was accused from part of the fandom to be indeed too vulnerable. Saying that there is no vulnerability in PT makes me laugh.
    Again the problem for me is that Kylo is just saying that is conflicted but Anakin really is because it is shown that he is conflicted. But I cannot see Kylo's conflict in his behaviour. Even the most tempered defenders of Kylo Ren emotionality here cannot explain why and for what reasons he has any tantrums and that means a lot. I'm not saying that that all the motivations should be explained in details in one movie but at least we should have something. For example: Vader is not shown as conflicted man in ANH. He is presented as evil and merciless and we can explain why he is acting like that (and that why the viewer is surprised in the next episodes that the villain is actually still human, no matter that he/she has seen the PT or not). But Kylo is non stop declaring that he is conflicted; in the same time he is acting as cool blooded villain. So, why should I believe to his declarations of some invented tantrums? Maybe he is a pathological liar, or a schizophrenic person, I don't know, but I cannot see the so emotionally deep Vader-wannabe tantrums.

16. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i would say he has tantrums because he cannot deal with frustration - much like a toddler. does that help?

i think perhaps reading the essay will help you understand what the vulnerability refers to. i don't see it a lot in the PT, not in the same way that it is in the OT, padme is when she confronts her husband, i suppose. but it's not done with the same, i'm prepared to die kinda attitude. she just comes across as confused to me.

and how is anakin vulnerable? not in a heroic way, that's for sure. that was what the essay was about.

17. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Unless he was strapped to a chair and brainwashed, he's fully responsible for everything he does and he's just throwing a fit.
    They don't. Anakin makes his own choices. He's responsible for them. No one else. Raising children doesn't amount to automatically who is bad for your child, when you have no way of knowing that.

Him being upset with Obi-Wan is because he blames him for holding him back because of the loss of his mom. He did an evil thing. But he doesn't enjoy it. The whole point that this person is making is that he's not an evil person at this point. He makes an evil decision. He's not a good person in this situation. But that's a difference between being fully evil and murdering everyone because you like it or because they disobey you and doing a very evil thing in a fit of anger and vengeance. They're both wrong. But why they're doing it is different. Have a very great day!

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Darthman92, AshiusX and Ezon Pin like this.
  18. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Well, the frustration is a result of something, i.e. is not a quality. So, for me is strange to explain the tantrums that are result/caused by something with frustration that is again a result of the some cause/motive. For me the real problem is that I cannot see the motives for Kylo being frustrated (or to have tantrums, etc.). If this is part of his character, he is just a whinny brat (as was posted before) but if those tantrums/frustration are motivated by something it should be shown/alluded. And Lucas was accused in a lazy writing. Now this is lazy writing.

About the essay: I read it, of course, but I completely disagree with the thesis of the author. To not fight back, to stay defenseless is not vulnerability in the mentioned situations. To be ready to sacrifice all, even their own life is not vulnerability, is the ultimate strength, it is called self sacrifice. And the strongest sacrifice is exactly to refuse to strike back. In the essay we read: "Instead of culminating with a straightforward battle between “good” (Luke) and “evil” (Vader)" … well, I disagree. There is a battle. But the good cannot use the weapon of evil to win. It can only win by the good way. The really interesting thing in ROTJ is that the father saves his son by 'separate' him from the emperor and sacrifices his life. Vader is not actually killing the Emperor, he is just throwing him away. It is very important not to cut him with the lightsaber or something, because it would be just some killing, but it is not. So, there is no vulnerability here or in Luke's decision. And of course I was talking about the ‘classical’ vulnerability of Anakin: he is vulnerable by his emotion to the people he loves. (and this is not the main, but just one of the reasons that the Jedi shouldn't be involved in attachments: they make them vulnerable).

19. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    EDIT: Accidentally posted without finishing.

20. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i feel like i'm walking into some debate over which character is better. it's not my main point and never will be. the characters aren't the same and the writer weren't and so on. it's moot to me. i'll allow myself to compare contextually maybe. but i wouldn't want to compare the quality of the writing as if there was an objective measure for it.

anyway, you were asking why he has tantrums, if you don't *like* the rason i gave you, that's a different problem.

maybe you could rephrase by saying, why can't he cope with frustration?

i find it massively annoying personally that not being able to cope with frustration in the eyes of some people = being whiny. it simply isn't true. have you tried coping with frustration? a lot of people fail. i don't destroy things but people do allow their frustration to get the better of them ALL THE TIME. road rage, shouting at others, sometimes they throw things. these will be adults as well. they will get enraged because their phones aren't transmitting, because they missed the bus ... blahblahblah. maybe you are just so zen or your world runs so smoothly that you are never frustrated. but in my world it's a frequent thing. watch yourself lose your adult self every time things don't go according to plan.

anyway, you learn coping with frustration, some people learn it better than others but not being able to and unleashing yourself on equipment isn't unusual.

in kylo's case i would say that in each case there is a perfectly sound reason to have a tantrum, for things not having gone his way. he keeps losing track of the droid, and then he loses the girl because he underestimated her. so, i'm not sure how lazy that sort of writing is. it's there in the film. you can say that he isn't much of an adult but it's part of his characterisation to not be able to cope with frustration. that's how the character is written.

maybe we need to go over the meaning of words?

vulnerability is being defenseless. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vulnerable have a look.

i agree that it amounts to a kind of strength, to me it's a very christian sort of thing and the readiness to die, maybe not readiness but the openess to the possibility, renders people very powerful in a way that weapons don't. there is an interesting convergence there when vulnerability and power meet. it's very beautiful to me when it happens and it is very rare.

i think luke makes himself vulnerable by delivering himself to his father and the emperor, i don't see how he isn't. han does the same thing. he may have a blaster at his side but ultimately it wouldn't be much use against his son. and i feel that either of them didn't do that out of some manipulative goal of suggesting vulnerability. i think that it ihas to be genuine and it is.

i think you are seeing the outcome of luke's actions as a victory and thus justify his cations against that. he didn't know that, see it from his pov.

i agree that anakin is vulnerable to manipulation etc because of his character and such, but that's not heroic, it's who he is. he doesn't go into things prepared to die for his beliefs. maybe at the end of his life but anyway.

like i said, i have no interest in bashing either character or to pitch the prequels against the sequels. i like all of these films equally (sort of) and i'm not going to engage in a battle of what's better.

21. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    No, for me the victory of Luke consists in the fact that he refuses to strike back because and especially for the reason that he cannot be sure if he could survive or not but the important thing is not the surviving, is the self sacrifice and it is indeed strong Christian motive. So, he could die there and this will be victory again, because the battle for Luke is not to defeat the Emperor. The real battle for Luke is not to fall in the darkness: in both cases he wins.
    So for me 'heroic vulnerability' as concept is something that doesn't make sense, because if we speak of the etymology of the words: hero comes from Greek and literally means protector or defender, not defenseless ;)

But let's back to the main topic. I'm afraid you misunderstood me. The problem of the Kylo for me is not that he is frustrated or not. Anybody: good or bad can be frustrated, no matter that Kylo's frustration looked fake to me, but anyway. Frustration is not natural quality of somebody's character, it is temporal state provoked by something. So we cannot explain frustration with tantrums or vice versa, because they are result of something. And here comes the problem, because we have no idea why Kylo is in that state of mind now; his "motivation" looks fake and empty. I mean, this is not ANH, it is Episode 7. There is a back story. Kylo couldn't repeat the Vader effect: here comes the bad guy, menacing with no face, i.e. pure evil and that is his motivation and everything looks logical, as was in ANH. But here we know that Kylo is Han and Lea son and Luke's nephew and that make the things even worse.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There is never a "perfectly sound reason" for anyone whose age is in the double digits to throw a tantrum.

Yes, adults have road rage and throw things, because they are behaving like overgrown toddlers, which is not acceptable and should never be condoned. Can the best of us reach a breaking point? Sure, after which the correct response is to apologize to anyone within the vicinity. And with most people, the breaking point involves yelling. Road rage is a crime, not the behavior of a normally frustrated person. And people who actually earn a living can usually stop themselves from breaking things they will have to replace later. I've been around a lot of people, and even among children, only the most petulant actually destroyed things during tantrums.

My reaction to a 29-year-old who breaks an extremely expensive console with his lightsaber because he is "mad" is not going to be "awww, poor little baby, he's frustrated." I might feel that way about a 2-year-old, but there is a reason toddlers are not allowed around expensive stuff.

With Kylo, my reaction was a disgusted "Grow. The. ****. Up."

23. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015

[face_laugh] anakinfan always brings classic GOAT posts.

24. Darth Petulant

Darth Petulant Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2016
    How do you know he had great parents?

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Because I watched the OT and therefore I have known for 38 years that Han and Leia are great people.

I also watched TFA and I know that they loved their son.

If you are trying to start another one of those "conversations" in which people look for ways to pick on Han and Leia in order to make their ungrateful entitled overgrown toddler look better...don't.

If his parents were random new characters, I would not know that he had great parents, but his parents are characters that we have known for decades.p.

wobbits, Andy Wylde and CT-867-5309 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.