main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - ST [TFA SPOILERS] The Way of the Force (Luke & a certain female character / post-TFA wild speculation)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lazy K, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012

Title: The Way of the Force
    Author: Lazy K
    Timeframe: just after TFA
    Characters: Luke, Rey
    Genre: wild speculation
    Keywords:
    Summary: Luke explains his self-imposed exile to Rey.
    Notes: If any of this turns out to be true, I will be extremely surprised.

The Way of the Force

It seemed an eternity before Luke Skywalker spoke. "Please, put that down."

"But it's yours," Rey protested.

"Not any more," he said, averting his eyes. "I'm . . . not who you think I am."

"You're Luke Skywalker, aren't you?" she asked - demanded - accused. As if he had no right not to be.

Because he had to be. She remembered what she'd seen - what she'd felt - when she first touched the lightsaber. Though it was unclear what had actually transpired, the sense of loss had been intense. So strong, in fact, that it had brought back memories of her own, of being abandoned and being helpless to do anything about it.

But now she was here, at the first Jedi temple, to learn the ways of the Force from Jedi Master Luke Skywalker himself. She hadn't expected it to be easy or quick. She had been prepared to spend years if necessary, to unlearn everything she had on Jakku and rebuild herself from scratch if need be.

It hadn't occurred to her that he would not be willing.

"I'm sorry," he said softly. "I can't help you."

Rey found herself unable to speak as he walked away without saying another word. Her mouth opened and closed several times, each time biting back words she knew she would regret.

"Wait!" she managed at last and hurried to follow him down the steps.

"You can't be serious," she said when she caught up with him. "You can't hide here forever. The galaxy needs you. I need you."

He didn't even slow his descent. If anything, he seemed to be walking faster. If she didn't know any better, she'd swear he was trying to run away. Without thinking she reached out to grab his arm. When he jerked to a stop and turned around, the pain in his eyes was enough for her to let go.

"Please," she pleaded. "Train me to be a Jedi. Teach me how to protect others from the First Order. From the dark side."

His eyes burned at the mention of the dark side, and for a moment Rey thought she'd gotten through to him. But then he turned away and continued his way down the steps.

"You can't want this!" It was all she could do to shout. Her whole body trembled with emotion and she didn't trust herself to take another step. "The First Order's growing stronger every day! They'll control the galaxy soon if we don't stop them! Don't you even care? Han Solo's dead because of you!"

He stopped. So did she.

She wished she could take back what she'd said, but it was too late. And besides . . . she'd meant those words. Every one.

"How did he die?" he asked with his back still turned to her, his face looking straight ahead. She had to strain herself to hear him speak.

"It was Kylo Ren," she said. She didn't dare mention the name Ben Solo.

"I see." His voice remained rock steady, betraying nothing of his thoughts. But even with her nascent Force abilities, Rey sensed a deep turmoil kept barely in check.

Until recently, Luke Skywalker had been a legend to her. Even after learning that yes, he was in fact real, Rey had never quite realized that there was an actual living, breathing man under all that myth. Now suddenly he was just a tired old man, aged prematurely by grief and guilt and regret. And she wondered for the first time if even the Jedi were up to the task of holding up the entire galaxy.

"Come," he said over what she now saw was a stooped shoulder. "We have much to talk about."

NOTE: This is just the first part of three, or perhaps four. Trust me, the speculations get wilder from here.

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    There are a couple of fics having sprouted from the same scene, but yours promises something will happen next and that it may not be exactly what we expect. I'M HOOKED.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent setup for more discussions and much drama.

4. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Great start. =D=

5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Well done, Lazy K. I really enjoyed Rey's defiance at Luke's rebuff. I wonder how angry Rey would become. She seems so peaceful, innocent.

"You're Luke Skywalker, aren't you?" she asked - demanded - accused. As if he had no right not to be.

I'm glad she was able to get Luke's attention, even by blaming him for Han's death. Luke will come around, I'm sure.

6. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Great job with Luke being as remote as the island he is currently on towards Rey and her questions.

7. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    I'm looking forward to Luke's explanation. There had to be reason he'd been gone so long. It looks like he went into exile, but I don't see Luke being idol.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    My money is on that next chapter will begin with Luke and Rey in an Irish pub, located on the other side of the island. :p

morrison85 and Matthew_Wolverine like this.