main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA Trailer for Japanese Market

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by soul8luos, Nov 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    Yes, such as the Opening Crawl. I know it's been more or less referenced but it has been officially confirmed right? It's an essential component that for the opening-night audience especially marks "this is really happening!" as the cheering crowd reverently falls silent. I was dumbfounded when Lucasfilm released the content of the Opening Crawl for Episode III BEFORE the film came out!? Takes the fun out of guessing. I think some crawls have been worded better than others and to some it could be trivial but for me a sort-of poetic or elegant language just makes the beginning of the movie all that much better for me.

Regarding Rey's pike: Although I see its resemblance to (in certain respects), or ability to conceal, a lightsaber I'm more or less of the opinion that Rey doesn't wield one in this film. Like ANH Luke, she'll develop her saber-skills in the next film (potentially under the guidance of Luke). Yoda was the living guide in ESB while deceased Obiwan was the living force-ghost so it will be interesting to see if any parallels emerge in Epsode 8 with Rey. In contrast to ANH, TFA will have two underdeveloped swordsmen (Finn and Kylo) using lightsabers. Not that Kylo isn't to be feared, but he has been described as a work in progress. And it is by necessity for self-preservation and protection of the other good guys that Finn jumps into the action. While Finn's potential as a Jedi is still debatable, I believe the focus will be on Rey's development in Episode 8.

Theories are fun and seemingly inexhaustible. I pretty much go with Han plus Leia yields Rey and Kylo. However, one can ask what themes might be referenced from the OT (or even the PT). Will the Emperor's line "The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi" have any relevance, for example?

2. Fandalorian

Fandalorian Jedi Master star 3

Apr 18, 2015
    JabbatheHumanBeing
    Did i say by itself? no i said "it starts to become", it's a slippery slope.
    And yeah i guess it's subjective. But the things that make up Star Wars aren't.

3. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013

This Trailer was much more Artsy than the US version. That shot of the Ties at Sunset! Sheer Beauty!

4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    A slippery slope is a logical fallacy. Just because you get rid of wipes, it doesn't follow that all other "Star Warsy" elements will follow. The opening crawl, and that distinctive conceptual design rooted in McQuarrie's mind, should always stay for the saga. As should a Williams-esque score, wacky aliens, a lived-in feel to the world, mysticism, mythic archteypes, etc.

But wipes? Not the most beloved element of the saga, and for good reason. IMO.

Satipo likes this.
  5. DavidWONKenobi

DavidWONKenobi Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2015
    After watching the Japanese trailer the body Rey is crying on is definitely Chewie. No one has hair like that but him...

6. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    not hair, it's the bushes/plants. Look closely.

7. DavidWONKenobi

Oct 27, 2015
    I'm not so sure - if you look at 1:30 seconds at the lower right hand of the screen it looks like hair and a lot of it...

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Looks to be grey hair. So I believe it's Han.

Pmonte58 likes this.
  9. DavidWONKenobi

Oct 27, 2015
    I'm so pumped after this trailer - the Kylo Saber is all kinds of awesome.... Looks like a broadsword in Reys face there....

PymParticles likes this.
  10. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I don't think they've ever put the wipes in the trailers have they? I actually think we will see that opening shot as an organic wipe anyway.

11. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    We had a couple of wipes in the PT trailers which always struck me as odd.

Satipo likes this.
  12. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    There's a kind of wipe before the shot of Vader's mask in trailer 3 but it seems in scene again?

If they keep them, great. If they lose them, shake them up somehow, great. I think they got a bit overdone by the end of the PT.

yassir.khan and dan1210 like this.
  13. The-Clone-Wars

Jun 27, 2002
    I think that it is worth noting that, although quite likely, the shot of Rey crying by a body on the ground does not decisively prove that said body is dead. Perhaps they're only injured severely or otherwise. There is more underlying this scene, as she also seems to be focused on something off in the near distance once she raises her head up. But we don't know for sure that whomever she is with there is dead, do we?

14. General Veers

General Veers Jedi Master

May 11, 1999
    Wipes? I made fun of my room mate using them about 10 years ago or so, but then one day I tried them and when I saw what I otherwise normally left behind.... I have never not used a wipe since.

Oh wait......

Sorry

Dark-Vador1138 likes this.
  15. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Is it immature of me to giggle internally every time I see that shot?

Howard Hand and ColdLazarou like this.
  16. The-Clone-Wars

Jun 27, 2002
    Hey, I just watched the Duel of the Fates trailer you composed. First off, THANKS! that was awesome. I thought it worked pretty well. Thanks for arranging the footage chronologically too! Nice work. A few of those shots I hadn't seen before.

Love how you put Han's "We're home" shot right after the jump to light speed (which itself was timed perfectly with the music).

What more can I say?! I really enjoyed it.

17. Coffee Two Sugars

Coffee Two Sugars Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2015
    Well, I must say that this trailer made me curious for BB-8. So far I didn't care much about Astromechs, but BB's 'new' voice is so cute ... I hope it's the final version and not one specifically tailored for the Japanese trailer.

18. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    More dialogs, Leia and C3PO!!!

19. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    DIALOGUE

20. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    We have already established that in the US, 'Dialog' is perfectly acceptable. Dialogue is more English.

21. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    It's the "s" that is the real offender. It's a fair mistake if English is not your first language, but most people learn when given the opportunity.

Also, eat crow on the trailer and marketing front God damn it. You put us through Hell in that thread, it's the least you can do

22. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    We all might need some wipes watching this movie for various reasons. So the movie should come with some wipes at least.

23. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Regarding the opening crawl, it's been established that George got in hot water with, I think the Screen Actors Guild, for not having proper credits in the beginning. With George out, will this subject become an issue again?

24. Caode

Caode Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2015

Non-issue. That was a different time in the industry, that sort of thing isn't the standard these days.

25. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

I can't remember the last time I saw a movie that had "proper" credits in the beginning, so no, it probably won't be an issue.

Caode likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.