main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA was first movie lightsaber duel with a female.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by NotSoScruffyLooking, Jan 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I really like them too :)

Lulu Mars likes this.
  2. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

Haven't seen Spectre yet, but I think the Daniel Craig movies have had a pretty high level of Bond girls, so I look forward to that.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  3. HullCityJedi

HullCityJedi Jedi Padawan

Apr 17, 2014

Yeah, having a strong female lead in general seems to be improving, they seem to be more willing to allow for male/females to share the lead rather than just one

4. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    More like maybe progressive George Lucas wasn't so progressive. Notice that the moment his franchise was passed to other hands, we got a woman in a lightsaber fight, and as the lead, no less.

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Well we did get Leia back in the 70's and 80's. So credit where credit is due. On the other hand, we ONLY really good Leia, which is less good. And the we got Padme, ugh.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014
    The thing is, though, I don't think there needs to be a rule that says, "Women in your war movie or GTFO."

There are perfectly good military/action movies that don't rely on female characters fighting, or even being in the movie at all. The Thing, Master and Commander, Rambo, U-571, Hurt Locker. If it happens naturally, it happens, which it usually will. In the rarer cases when there's no natural place for a large female role, I don't think one needs to be created for quota reasons.

7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I agree but regrettably we live in a world where everyone gets offended by everything. Plus too studios especially Disney looked at marketing and potential of making $$$ above story. Therefore whatever sells the most snd offends the least will be the story going forward.

Personally I didn't even think about Rey as being a female lead, just the lead. Some people make stuff out to be bigger then it is both in a positive and negative ways.

8. JediBlack

JediBlack Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    I'm going to assume the OP is a troll, and it's not a serious post?

There is nowhere in the previous six movies where it would have made a lick of sense to have a female light-saber battle, let alone some kind of situation where it was purposefully held back due to sexism or something.

9. Daharis

Daharis Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2015
    It didn't exist before because Star Wars was based off of old romantic mythos. Knights and Princesses. It's called cultural heritage.

By the way, Star Wars, and Star Trek for that matter, were two of the first sources of major bad-a female characters.

Rey makes sense in this movie because it's a different story being told, and no one likes a sausage fest. Daisy Ridley is a great actress and really pulled off the fight scene (with the help of her stunt double, who, by the way, is a girl, so that's x2 women power). I suspect this is partly why they made Ren such a skinny guy, so that Rey would not look too silly grappling with him.

You can't start off your movie with, "OK, it has to be a girl because progressive." That's anti-progressive in itself. If gender isn't supposed to matter, then stop making it matter. If it does matter, then don't go criticizing something like Star Wars that has actually been really epic for female characters and cosplays! What, were they gonna make Anakin a girl in the prequels? Obi-Wan? Yoda? This is their first chance to develop a wholly new story without the restrictions of the prequels.

I have a dang Rey funko bobblehead doll right next to the globe on my desk. My favorite PT Jedi are Shaak Ti, Luminara Unduli, and Depa Bilaba. I actually find most of the male characters boring. Oh, and those Mikkian characters from the Clone Wars episode I just watched. They are so cool looking. Speaking of those. Those Mikkians were developed off of an unused female Sith character proposed for AOTC. I dunno why they didn't use her. Speaking of female Sith characters... Ventress. One of the coolest characters ever. Almost like the Snape of Star Wars.

rumblewagon likes this.
  10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It's easy to say that, when you're not part of that group. I'm a straight white guy, I have PLENTY of representation in these types of films. But can I understand why some women like to have characters like Rey, because women in action roles like this are still quite rare overall, absolutely.

And this is SW, a universe that's predicated on mystical powers, tons of different planets, races, species, etc. So even the "believable in a war movie" idea doesn't hold up. If anything, it's LESS believable that in this universe, with ALL of those factions, races, etc, that we HAVEN'T gotten a character like Rey before. Or that there's only been one prominent women per trilogy. That's truly "unbelievable" actually.

11. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Well, regarding women getting hurt, wasn't Greedo played by a woman? Of course, I assume the character was male. Poor Greedo, shoulda shot first.

Although it happened offscreen, Shmi got messed up pretty badly.

12. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Women got blown up, drowned, shot and died other imaginative ways in family-friendly James Bond movies all the time.

13. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

Ah! Forgot about poor Shmi. Good catch.

14. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    "But I bet you forgot just how bad ass she was?"
    Forgot? Who is the target of that video? Oh that's right, the generation that can completely relate to Dory in Finding Nemo.
    Sometimes people assume too much about that, like thinking a girl won't be interested unless a main character is a female, or someone of whatever race won't be interested unless a main character is too. I have never had a reason to think either.
    The prequels also had a lot of female characters with potential or at least were expected to have bigger parts because they were prominently described at the official site and in other materials, like Aurra Sing and Zam Wessel. Amy Allen is more popular at conventions than some actors with bigger parts. Lucas wasn't interested in having anyone beyond the core five characters per movie say anything though, or even get much recognition though, and that's something that goes back to Return of the Jedi. Lucasfilm kind of made up for that in The Clone Wars while making up for everything else, doing more with the female Jedi and characters like Sabine and Bo Katan.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
  16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well for one he always planned that the third trilogy would be a female lead anyway so on the off-chance he ever did it then that would make it all the more special. The closet he can to a villain was for AOTC but ultimately the idea of Christopher Lee was far better as a character than the Sith Witch.

Exactly. Leia and Padme (especially Padme) get a whole lot to do but for some odd reason even some Star Wars fans tend to totally overlook this. Why I don't know. The only reason seems to be that somehow the ability of Rey to use the Force makes her "better" than Padme or Leia. I don't subscribe to that idea.

That is a function of her being the main protagonist of this trilogy but there is only one per trilogy and Anakin and Luke were already in play for the first 2 trilogies.

To show her as the one of the strongest people ever in Star Wars in heart, character and emotion is insulting?

We can only hope Rey is similiarily insulted in one of the next 2 movies.

Beautiful women looking great and sexy is a part of Star Wars as well.

Dameron likes this.
  17. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Qui-Riv-Brid

No. You don't get to do that. Take issue with what I said by all means, and explain why you think I'm wrong. But do not impose your opinion as if my own opinion is simply a misunderstanding of your world view. Your opinion, strangely enough, isn't the starting point from which I need to make a point. It's exactly the sort of twisting of other people's posts that you do all the time, and I won't indulge you; I won't even answer. If you want to have a conversation about it, start with something like, "I disagree. I'd argue that Padme was a strong character in ROTS because..."

I'll repeat, since you do it on every thread: your viewpoint isn't a default, and so your own opinion isn't a refutation of someone else's opinion.

Sarge, Darth__Lobot and MeBeJedi like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There is nothing about "ROTS Padme" and "strong" that go together in the same sentence without a "NOT" in all caps in front of "strong." Strong people don't simper and whine and beg in front of men who have just proven themselves not worthy of their energy.

A strong person would have walked away with a few words about coming back when Anakin decided to, one, make sense, two, stop screaming about his "Empire," and three, apologize profusely and never, ever again make the asinine claim that he committed murder "just for you."

And don't even get me started on "losing the will to live."

If Rey is similarly insulted in future films, I will do exactly what I did for ROTS, and not pay full price for it.

19. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    IIRC, her treatment in the novel was a bit more graphic.

[face_not_talking]

This post should be a sticky! =D=

20. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Fairly certain that the strength and character of Rey is now established enough (and with GL also no longer around) that Rey won't be subjected to having her outfit shredded at strategic areas to show off her midsection, or be an accessory to murder, or wear a metal bikini, or get her hair done by Ewoks. I'd be willing to bet that the next writers and directors will be much smarter than that. *keeping fingers crossed*

21. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014

Confronting her murderous husband took a lot of guts, but I do feel her portrayal in ROTS is a step down from both TPM and AOTC where she is shown as brave, self-determining, and independent. I like Padme's quiet strength in both TPM and AOTC. In TPM she takes it upon herself to save her people, despite the odds, but she does it in a very hushed way. She doesn't yell. She doesn't lose her cool.

In AOTC she starts to let her emotions for Anakin take hold, but their relationship proceeds on her terms. Anakin doesn't ultimately decide that they become a couple - she does. Though her feelings for Anakin are often a source of scorn and derision by many, I think it's easy to see why she's attracted to him. Anakin is awkward, but he's a nice guy who saved her skin in TPM and he's grown up to be very attractive and it's abundantly clear that he respects and appreciates her. People focus on the her not being comfortable around Anakin at first, but they forget their scene in the meadow(she assumes Anakin is teasing about being pro-dictatorship, so please spare me the "she was horrified by Anakin's political views" speech), or the dinner before the fireplace scene, and the scene aboard the refuge ship where Anakin defines love as something that's essential to a Jedi's life revealing that he has a softer, more romantic side to him. I think Padme is also attracted to Anakin's strength and take-chargedness. People like to point to the Tusken Slaughter as the ultimate red flag for Padme, but honestly and I know this sounds bonkers, but I think that solidified Padme's feelings for Anakin. Here's a guy whose mother was kidnapped and he went on a one man journey to rescue her, and even though he wasn't successful his passion and bravery were admirable. Yes, he slaughtered the whole camp, but all Padme knows of the Tuskens is that they're "mindless monsters" who kidnapped Shmi for god only knows what purpose, and they were a threat, plus Anakin does show remorse for killing the women and children.

Now we get to ROTS, and I think, and I could be reading into this too much, but Padme's docility isn't exactly uncommon in women after settling down. I dislike that she doesn't have an expanded role, but the evolution of her character does make sense. Often women/men change in a relationship and become very co-dependent. She's also with child, and who wants to raise their child in a broken home? I think it's a little extreme to get that apoplectic over the turn her character takes. In reality it's a product of the films myopic focus on Anakin's turn, but if you look at the nature of relationships and how people evolve within them her characterization makes sense, even if it isn't the most feministic.

I don't mean to come off as condescending, but do people that were offended by Leia and Padme being sexualized understand what Star Wars is based off of? It may seem gratuitous, but honestly it's part of the genre. Leia's metal bikini is something straight out of A Princess of Mars. Geonosis and much of Star Wars is inspired by the author of that book as well. It may seem simplistic and sexist, but it's a part of the Star Wars motif.

Dameron likes this.
  22. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

Yes. I appreciate that many people do not like it when women in movies wear skimpy outfits; I get that. But still, it's not like pretty women in sexy clothes is this weird intrusion, alien to all that Star Wars is about.

Mindless Monster likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Mindless Monster: A lot of outdated stereotypes you've got there about women. Many of us manage to have children without turning docile. ;)

So, no, it does not make sense, and there is never a good excuse for being co-dependent. Pregnancy is a good reason NOT to be co-dependent on someone who is toxic, if we're talking about studies about the types of homes where children are raised. Surely no one is going to argue that a child is better off in a home with one abusive and one co-dependent parent, as opposed to a home with a healthy single parent?

I agree with you to a point about it being courageous to confront Anakin, it's what she did after he demonstrated that he was not remorseful, which was terrible. Sobbing about a broken heart is not courageous.

As far as the clothes...I was not offended by Padme's outfits, and Leia did the best possible thing she could do with the metal bikini (choking her abuser with the chain), but there would be no point in putting Rey in an outfit like that.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  24. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014

But I'm saying her behavior isn't exactly an outlier...

I didn't say that she becomes a better person, but the person she becomes is reflected in society. I'm not going to site studies, but men and women do become co-dependent. No, it's not healthy. Women and men do stay in abusive/unhealthy relationships because of this.

The broken heart part is a part of the overall Shakespearian motif painfully present in ROTS. It's practically a stage play.

No, I agree, but my point is it wasn't gratuitous when Padme and Leia were being reduced to sex objects. There was narrative purpose to it.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    One reason I hated ROTS is due to the throwbacks to Shakespearean/Greek tragedy, which I don't like because most or all of the characters are idiots.

And yes, there are codependent people in our society but I don't use them for my entertainment.

Staying on Rey, this started over the idea of her becoming another Padme, and the point is the same...please, Disney, just no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.