main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA- What Academy Awards Can it Win ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blue_Jedi33, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...awakens-could-score-big-oscar-night/77968370/

Actually it would be awesome if Harrison Ford won for best supporting actor.

Actor Harrison Ford has surprisingly been nominated for an Oscar only once in his career – 'Witness' in 1985. However, the actor failed to bring home the Academy award that year.

So has never won, from that article

Harrison Ford's emotional role as Han Solo could result in a nomination in the wide open best supporting actor category — marking the first Ford nomination since 1985's Witness.

So he has a shot, and if the academy decides to vote with sort of a career type win, I think he has a shot, it has to be a nostalgic vote, because he owned it.

But SW-TFA pulls of a Return of The King type night from the
    76th Academy Awards it could be a very exciting night for SW fans.

Best Picture would be the icing on the cake with a cherry on it.
    And the haters would finally be defeated for good.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Tech categories only. This is film Seven in a franchise and the last one to get a Best Pic nom was the first one.

My predictions:

Nominations in VFX, Sound and Sound Editing.

That's it. Three.

3. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003

But it never won, instead it was defeated by Annie Hall, it's time for the Academy to make up for this from my POV.

ShaneP likes this.
  4. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    Hollywood Reporter has them as frontrunners in 5 categories, a major threat in 4, and possibility in 1 one

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/awards/predictions/oscars/2015/academy-awards-122915/

This is updated as of tonight/last night - So it appears not only moviegoers like this film; we will have to see the announcements are still two weeks away. I will add it's been speculated that a DeNiro/Stallone/Ford duel on Oscar night for Best Supporting Actor might be the Academy's dream scenario so we will need to wait and see.

Frontrunners
    Visual Effects
    Sound Mixing
    Production Design
    Best Original Score
    Best Picture

Major Threat
    Film Editing
    Costume Design
    Cinematography
    Best Director

Possibility

Adapted Screenplay

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Excellent. It deserves both a Best Picture and a Best Director nomination, IMO.

Solo-Skywalker likes this.
  6. MilesEdgeworth

MilesEdgeworth Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Tech noms, possibly best picture. But that's it.

7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Probably going to be the most watched Oscars ceremony in at least a decade or so...

8. Palpatine77

Palpatine77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 28, 2010
    Since the Best Picture category has been expanded from 5 up to 10 in recent years, I think there is a small, outside chance that The Force Awakens might be nominated for Best Picture. And I say that only because sometimes the Oscars like to reward a box office phenomenon with a Best Picture nomination. Avatar back in 2009 was a solidly entertaining picture but not a truly great one, but it earned an Oscar nod for its phenomenal success. The same thing could possibly happen here. If somehow TFA does get a Best Picture nom, then the nomination is its reward, there's no way it actually wins Best Picture.

9. JediKade

JediKade Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2015
    hopefully it'll win an Oscar or two (or even more).

10. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    The Oscars have always been about silly insider politics, and have a long-standing bias against genre films, with only a few poking through for attention. They're basically pointless industry gladhanding for film snobs' best friends. TFA was an amazing movie, and here's hoping it gets some nods, because Abrams and Spielberg are pretty tight, and Spielberg has always been one of those aforementioned insiders.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  11. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    I think Daisy Ridley will be nominated for 'Best performance by an actress in a leading role'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.